1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LineX over the rails?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 11:38 PM
kenneBF250V10
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting my short bed Super Duty sprayed with Line-x on 12 Feb. I found a dealer in my neck of the woods that removes the bed bolts, all 4 tie-downs, rubber plugs and tailgate bolts, out the door for $400 bucks. From the prices I've seen listed above, I'm getting a pretty good deal. This particular dealer didn't recommend removing the rail caps because he said the the bed rails themselves are not flat once the caps are removed. I don't know if this is true but I'm going to investigate it before I take it to him.

Old 02-07-2005, 11:08 AM
windjammer
New User
I just had mine done last week. The price was $409, under the rail. After much thought and then discussion with the guy at Linex, (as well as this forum) I ended up having shoot it all, except for removing the tailgate panel and spraying it separately. By the way, he offered to remove whatever I wanted for no additional charge. Bed bolts, tiedowns, plugs, etc. He showed me a truck he had done about a month earlier and showed me how hard it was to cut an X over the bolt and remove it. 15 seconds per bolt maybe. Then when you reinstall the bolt. It goes through the X and compresses the Line-X material under it. His point was simply this. How often are you going to remove them and do you want to look at rusty bolts in the bed. My truck is a week old and there was already a little rust forming on the the heads of the tiedown bolts. His point was spray it all and seal it all. He even offered to write on the warranty that if I had to remove the bolts and wanted them resprayed afterward that it would be covered under the warranty. Obviously, this would only be good at his shop and not nationwide.

I am very happy with the clean look and the job they did for me.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:09 PM
riggz
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For those who sprayed the bed up to the caps what did you do about the tailgate cap? Seems like it wouldn't hold on very well with just the pushin clips.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:41 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
It is sprayed up to the cap. How much wear do you expect to get out of the cap. It would take a lot of body work to smooth out the holes that the clips go in. The chevy's & dodge's you can spray over the rail. But have you ever seen a chevy that has had people rest their elbos on the rails and have dents in them. It is not verry much of a problem to remove the bolts & tie downs. It looks much better and makes for a better looking job. The extra prep work makes the job look so much better.

I have recently become a Qwik liner dealer. I want all of my customers be satisfied with their trucks. The best adversitment for a buisness is satisfied customers.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Ratical
Junior User
I did see a SD at a show recently had the caps removed tops smothed, tailgate welded shut a V cut into for gooseneck acess and white bedliner sprayed in and over the caps. looked great. but I dont think that much work could be done without repainting the whole bedside. So unless I had some other reason for painting I woulnt consider it.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:44 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Too late to help windjammer, but I think he did the right thing anyway. Had my 97 done last spring and it looks great. My installer commented that he doesn't do over the rail for trucks with factory rails installed for the reasons previously stated. But, when he did mine, he masked it in a manner that replicated the look of newer trucks with the factory installed rail caps.
I too went right over the bed bolts.
Line-x looks great, cleans up great, and their warranty is second to none.
I had to use my warranty since a fellow unloading some buckets of steel scrap from my truck with a tow motor tore a hand-sized chunk out of the liner. It was crazy! I saw the fork catch the liner right at the rear edge of the bed and start stretching. Just as I yelled "STOP!" it tore.
But a quick trip to the installer fixed it right up. Clean the site, urethane glue the piece back down, and touch up spray to blend the seam and I can't even tell where it was.
As an aside: he told me that was the first warranty work he had done in the past 6 months, and that one hardly counted as it was a carpenter using his tailgate as a sawhorse and cut right into the gate with his circular saw. prior to that fix, he said it has been 2 years since he did a warranty job.
My door steps are fiberglass ('97) and the supports are showing a little bit of rust. Since I have to take them off to touch up the supports anyway, I am considering removing the rubber tread and having the tread area line-exed.
Needless to say, I am a big fan of line-x. I consider it to be far superior to any of the other liners I have seen.