'94 windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Galaxie427
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'94 windshield wipers

Hi all,

Ordinarily, I try to remember to turn off the wipers when it's snowing and I park my truck for the night. Well, I didn't a few nights back. When I went to warm the truck up the next morning, I heard the wipers jump a little, but they were frozen solid to the glass. I quickly shut 'em off, and let the truck warm up all the way. Well, the wipers no longer work. I hoped there would be a blown fuse under the dash, btu I was greeted with a circuit breaker - and it was not tripped. Is it a big job to swap out the wiper motor on these? I'm runnin' out of Rain X!!!!

Pete S.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
1994 Ranger Wiper Motor Removal & Install

Does the washer pump work?. The pump and the wiper motor are on the same circuit, so if the pump works that would help rule out the circuit.

A few more things to try:

1. Unplug windshield wiper motor electrical connector.

2. Using a test lamp or meter, check for battery voltage on the Red (R) wire. This wire supplies power to the relay.

3. Set windshield wiper switch to HI and check for battery voltage on the DB/O wire and also continued battery voltage on the (R) wire.

4. The wiper motor is grounded through its casing y virtue of being attached to the body. Set the windshield wiper switch to HI (connector is attached now) and run a small jumper wire from the motor casing to a good body ground or the negative battery post and confirm that the motor is running like it should be.

Looking at my Ford Manual, changing out the wiper motor on your '94 looks like it might take a little patience:

Windshield Wiper Motor

Removal

1. Cycle windshield wiper blades until in straight-up position and turn ignition switch OFF.

2. Disconnect battery and wiper motor electrical connector.

3. Remove the right windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft and windshield wiper blade.

4. Disconnect the battery ground cable.

5. Remove the right pivot nut and allow the windshield wiper adapter and connecting arm clip to drop into the cowl top outer panel.

6. Remove the linkage access cover, located on the right side of the dash panel near the windshield wiper motor.

7. Reach through the access cover opening and unsnap the wiper motor clip.

8. Push the clip away from the windshield wiper adapter and connecting arm clip until it clears the nib on the crack pin. Then, push the clip off the windshield wiper adapter and connecting arm clip.

9. Remove the windshield wiper adapter and connecting arm clip from windshield wiper motor crank pin.

10. Remove nut and ground strap.

11. Remove three attaching nuts fromwindshield wiper motor. Remove the windshield wiper motor.

Installation

1. Position the windshield wiper motor and install the three attaching screws. Tighten to 13.6-19.0 N-m (10-14 ft-lb).

2. Install nut and ground strap.

3. Connect wiper motor electrical connector.

4. Install clip completely onto right windshield wiper adapter and connecting arm clip. Make sure the clip is fully seated. Do not put the windshield wiper adapter and connecting arm clip on the motor crank pin and then try to install the clip.

5. Install the left windshield wiper adapter and connecting arm clip onto the wiper motor crank pin.

6. Install the right windshield wiper adapter and connecting arm clip onto the wiper motor crank pin. Pull the windshield wiper adapter and connecting arm clip onto the crank pin until it snaps into place. The clip is properly installed if the nib is protruding through the center of the clip.

7. Install the right windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft and nut. Tighten the nut to 9.5-12.5 N-m (84-110 in-lb).

8. Connect the battery ground cable and turn the ignition switch on. Turn turn signal and windshield wiper switch off so windshield wiper motor will park, then turn ignition switch off. Replace right windshield wiper adapter and connecting arm clip access cover.

9. Install the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shaft and windshield wiper blade assemblies on the pivot shafts to dimension X. Dimension X is the distance between the centerline of the blade saddle and the top edge of the cowl top outer panel grille. The value of Dimension X is as follows:

(a) Ranger Driver's Side: 2.0-3.2 Inch
(b) Ranger Passenger's Side: 2.2-3.4 Inch

Old 01-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Galaxie427
Senior User
Thanks! Excellent info, and quickly, too. Yes, the washer worked. I saw they were on the same circuit in my manual, but I thought I'd just check the breaker in case there was some sort of running change. Wishful thinking played a role in checking the circuit, too. I can hear a very faint click when I turn the switch on (no, it's not the detent for the switch ), so that further leads me to believe that I will lose some knuckle skin swapping out the motor. Autozone carries a lifetime guarnatee model for $55 + exchange. Does that sounds reasonable?

Pete S.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Galaxie427
Senior User
News:
Just for grins, I tried the switch today, and the wipers moved about half a stroke and stopped. So, maybe the motor isn't toast? I'm going out to try the advice you gave me earlier. I was hoping to wait for a heat wave, but instead I must go out in the snow & cold. I will let you know my results!

Pete S.