1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheelchair user wants to lower truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 05:15 AM
daliwong
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheelchair user wants to lower truck

Hi,
I saw a few posts about lowering an F-250, but no real info. Most of the threads ended with, why lower the truck. I use a wheelchair and have a 2005 f250 diesel crew cab with 18" wheels and would like to lower it a little. To get in I have a little platform that comes down to the door jam, I hop onto the platform and it brings me up to the seat level. I don't like those big wheelchair platforms that tuck under the truck, mine is compact but it's still about 5" over my chair height. Ideally I would like to bring it down about 4", it would make life much easier.

I don't plan on carrying a lot in the bed but do plan on pulling an RV TT.
Does anyone know of kits in the market or in development?

For starters I could probably level the back of the truck. lets say i brought the back down 4", that would probably translated to a 2" or less drop by the drivers door?? That's a start. I could also put on a slightly lower profile tire, but I'd rather that be the last thing to do. If anyone has a suggestion, I would appreciate your input.

I really like the truck and enjoy driving it.

Old 01-25-2005, 06:12 AM
Yeti
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Welcome to FTE,

Is your truck a 2 wheel drive? If so, I believe there are lowering kits out there, but off the top of my head, I forget who makes them.
I don't think any kits exist for a 4x4, but depending on your suspension configuration, it may be possible to get it lower.
Like you mentioned, you could start by taking the rear block out from the rear.
Depending on what springs you have up front, you may be able to replace them with a lesser spring.

Old 01-25-2005, 06:57 AM
daliwong
New User
it's a 4x4.

how much would the 17" wheel lower it, if any?

Old 01-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Yeti
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends on the sidewall of the tire, I would say no more than an inch though..

Old 01-25-2005, 05:52 PM
jesse460
Elder User
it would be possible to get shorter coils for the front just make sure you do something to correct the caster. Have you considered air bags on the front? just dump the air when you park.

Old 01-25-2005, 06:15 PM
mrc59
Tuned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on your mobility, could you use a different lift or ramp? Can you step a short way? You may be able to find a different lift assist (like those used in vans, but smaller). May be difficult to lower truck and retain stability. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2005, 06:30 PM
{OF}Smiley
Senior User
Any photos of the truck with the lift in the down position?

Does the Excursion come with airbags as an option in the rear, it might be a swap?

Old 01-25-2005, 08:52 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
I know companies like Belltech and Ground Force make lowering kits for F-150's, but I don't know of anyone that makes one for the SD's. Now here's my idea. It may be possible (and please be nice when ripping it apart,) to have a 4x4 shop or some other suspension shop do a spring-under-axle conversion for your F-250's rear and use Jesse460's idea of shorter coils in the front. Spring Over Axle's have been done for years on other vehicles (including the Suzuki Samurai in my gallery.) That would probably lower you 3-4 inches. It's just an idea.

Last edited by EnviroCon; 01-25-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:57 PM
jesse460
Elder User
Originally Posted by EnviroCon
I know companies like Belltech and Ground Force make lowering kits for F-150's, but I don't know of anyone that makes one for the SD's. Now here's my idea. It may be possible (and please be nice when ripping it apart,) to have a 4x4 shop or some other suspension shop do a spring-under-axle conversion for your F-250. Spring Over Axle's have been done for years on other vehicles (including the Suzuki Samurai in my gallery.) That would probably lower you 3-4 inches. It's just an idea.

The 2005s have radius arms and coils in the front, thats why I suggested airbags, All you would have to do is take the coils out and mount a set of bags in the front then when you dump the air the truck will set down on the bump stops and it will ride as good or better than stock. Edit keldermans has air ride for the front of 99-04s for $950 It would be easier to air ride A 05 so you might want to check with them if your interested in the air ride idea. EDIT AGAIN LOL envirocon, I thought you ment to do a spring under on the front from you original UNEDITED post see above

Last edited by jesse460; 01-25-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:14 PM
EnviroCon
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jesse460
The 2005s have radius arms and coils in the front, thats why I suggested airbags, All you would have to do is take the coils out and mount a set of bags in the front then when you dump the air the truck will set down on the bump stops and it will ride as good or better than stock. Edit keldermans has air ride for the front of 99-04s for $950 It would be easier to air ride A 05 so you might want to check with them if your interested in the air ride idea. EDIT AGAIN LOL envirocon, I thought you ment to do a spring under on the front from you original UNEDITED post see above
Imagine how I felt when I re-read my own post (the original.) Both you and my fingers were far faster than my brain. If there was an icon for a jackass I would put it in.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:19 PM
chuck641
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
id recommend airbags, that way you can drop the druck down low when your parked then when you get in you can put it right back up to stock height which will help with your travel trailer.

Jason

Old 01-25-2005, 10:37 PM
daliwong
New User
if i put airbags in the front, the coils would be removed? can the bags give the same ride and towing capacity as the springs (front).

what is the reliability of the bags?

you mention keldermans

i will call them and let you guys know what they say

thanks
-gary

Old 01-25-2005, 10:56 PM
jesse460
Elder User
Originally Posted by daliwong
if i put airbags in the front, the coils would be removed? can the bags give the same ride and towing capacity as the springs (front).

what is the reliability of the bags?

you mention keldermans

i will call them and let you guys know what they say

thanks
-gary
Yes the airbags would replace the coils, as for the reliability of the bags just about every 18 wheeler running down the highway has them and the go for millions of miles, the ride will be completly adjustable to your liking by adding or removing air, and the towing capacity will be fine as long as you get airbags with the right load rating. There are some pics on keldermans website that shows the airride.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:05 PM
daliwong
New User
i found a picture of the lift. i tried to post it by clicking 'insert image', but when i submit the post, it tells me to remove the link????

Old 01-25-2005, 11:10 PM
daliwong
New User
Originally Posted by jesse460
Yes the airbags would replace the coils, as for the reliability of the bags just about every 18 wheeler running down the highway has them and the go for millions of miles, the ride will be completly adjustable to your liking by adding or removing air, and the towing capacity will be fine as long as you get airbags with the right load rating. There are some pics on keldermans website that shows the airride.
i was looking at the pics, very interesting. i like this idea. i will be calling them tomorrow morning.

I could perm lower the rear a few inches by removing the blocks and then make the front adjustable.

with the air compressor, i can also put in air horns )

Quick Reply: wheelchair user wants to lower truck