Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

any reason not to switch to a chevy

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,517 Likes on 2,161 Posts
I do much agree with Megalodon1. I think you have had your mind made up on buying a GM product from the start. My reason not to buy is quality and service.

My GM truck sat for 4 weeks while I got the run around from GM to find a part. The parts to fix my truck were being dedicated to production. Like a Rock, my truck made a nice boat anchor in the dealerships back lot.

Old 01-29-2005, 03:42 PM
roach57
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Has anyone checked out International's new pickup? The severe duty CXT is what it is called, u can check it out at international's web page. If i was gonna buy any new truck besides a ford it would be this one!

Old 01-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Gentlemen, lets lower the flames a tad, please. Beano ... good luck with your new truck, but please give up on trying to convince hard core Ford people that your decision is best for all ... it may be best for you... and that's ok. We aren't paying your bills .. you are. Have fun!

Has anyone checked out International's new pickup? The severe duty CXT is what it is called, u can check it out at international's web page. If i was gonna buy any new truck besides a ford it would be this one!
Whats the web address? I'll look at it.

Old 01-29-2005, 04:46 PM
beano
Senior User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
I do much agree with Megalodon1. I think you have had your mind made up on buying a GM product from the start. My reason not to buy is quality and service.

My GM truck sat for 4 weeks while I got the run around from GM to find a part. The parts to fix my truck were being dedicated to production. Like a Rock, my truck made a nice boat anchor in the dealerships back lot.
well yes i didn have my mind made up from the get go. otehr wise i wouldnt have asked. i dont think i was trying to convince everyone else that chevy was best for eveyone. i was just explaining my point of view.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:09 PM
MJD
Elder User
Originally Posted by Megalodon1
IMO trucks should'int come with anything more than power windows/doorlocks
tilt wheel/cruise control,climate control, leather, automatic transmission, electronic transfer case, a nice sound system, and remote keyless entry as options. Carpeting should not be optional IMO - it takes a major beating.
Electric transfer case???????????????????? Whaaat. Scratch that junk. If you can't pull a lever, you shouldn't be driving an 8,000 pound vehicle. It will be very fun when you get stranded out in the middle of nowhere, because the 4X4 quit. Not flamin ya, but I absolutely HATE electronic t-cases. They are one of the many reasons that Americans are getting so fat.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:23 PM
roach57
New User
Have personally seen and test drove one of these trucks and i was in love. But i am not getting rid of my 79 ford f-150 for any love, just have to make a little more room in the garage sometime soon.

Base Model International CXT

Body Type: 8-Foot Dualie Pickup Bed
Dimensions Overall Length: 258”; Cab Height: 108”, Bed Height: 58”
Drive Train: 4x4, On-Command All-Wheel Drive
GVWR: 25,999 lbs. (Non-Commercial Drivers License applicable)
Curb Weight: 14,500 lbs.
Engine: International® DT466 I-6 diesel, 220 HP, 540 lb.ft. Torque
Transmission: Allison Automatic 2500 HS 5-speed
Transfer Case: 2-speed Hi-Lo
Brakes: Air with 4-channel ABS
Axles: Front Driving 10,000 lbs.Capacity , Rear Driving 17,000 lbs.Capacity
Fuel: Polished Aluminum 70 gallon Diesel
Cab: 5 - Passenger, 4- door Crew Cab with Rear Cab Air Suspension
Seats: Air Suspension Cloth Passenger and Driver
HVAC: Air Conditioning (Standard)
Wheels/Tires: Polished Aluminum Wheels, 11R22.5 Goodyear Tires (Dual Rears)

Other: Bright Finish Heated Mirrors, Exterior Sunshade, Keyless Entry,
Base Coat / Clear Coat Paint, Fog Lights, Air Horn, Tilting Steering Wheel,
Vertical Bright Finish Tailpipe, Polished Front and Rear Bumpers, 9000 lbs.
Hitch.

Optional Equipment
Custom Interior: Leather Multi-Position Individual Front Seats, Rear View Camera, 10.5” Drop
Down DVD Screen and Player, Deluxe Center Console, Rear Fold Down
Bench Seat, Carpeting, Back Walnut Wood Trim, Custom Alpine XM Radio /
CD Player.

Rear Bed Lift Kit: With Remote Control For Tilting Pickup Bed
Extended Cab: 26” Extended Cab with Rear Bench Seat, ILO of 4-Door Crew Cab

Power Offerings: Higher Horsepower International Diesel Engines Available

Additional information at your International Truck Dealer

Old 01-29-2005, 06:45 PM
abmobil
Senior User
Im not bias to ford or gm and currently dont own any products from either. You must have driven a 99 superduty that had 400k on it and they just cleaned it up real well and labled it an 05.
No gm truck has better fit and finish than the fords do especially the 05s. Gm went straight to fisher price when they did there interiors on all there suvs and trucks. There trucks imo drive great and ride very smooth but for the price the interior components are not up to par.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:48 PM
beano
Senior User
Originally Posted by abmobil
Im not bias to ford or gm and currently dont own any products from either. You must have driven a 99 superduty that had 400k on it and they just cleaned it up real well and labled it an 05.
No gm truck has better fit and finish than the fords do especially the 05s. Gm went straight to fisher price when they did there interiors on all there suvs and trucks. There trucks imo drive great and ride very smooth but for the price the interior components are not up to par.
you guys must be getting the wrong idea. i love my superduty. and it has been a great truck. i do have a 99 superduty but its not a rag. its a very nice truck , pulls well and runs like a champ with no problems. i just with my psd had a better refined interior. thats why i am looking at a chevy. my ford hasnt done me any wrong at all. i just want a bit more comfort.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:52 PM
ChevmaninaFord
Senior User
My family has owned 3/4 & 1/2 ton chevys, 1/2ton fords, and one 1/2 ton dodge. An 80 sumthin 3/4 Chevy 4x4 454, really good truck great for pulling, never gave us any problems. 2000 Chevy 4x4 4.8L, good truck 143,000 no problems. Dodge 1/2 ton 2WD, 4.7L, no problems. M truck, 1999 F150 4x4 4.6L reg cab, 133,000 still going good, just recently had a tune-up, still running excellent. I'm not saying a truck wont have a major breakdown, obviously reading posts on here its possible, but in my experiences, if you take care of a truck, it will take care of you.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:01 PM
460461whatever
New User
What bothers me about talking ride and comfort in a truck is that you can no longer buy a new 1/2 ton of any brand, even in fwd, that isn't much more than an high-sitting car. Chevys, of course, are the lowest of all and, they take that same theme all the way to their 1 tons. ( Ask anyone that has tried to use a V-plow on the front of one.) I'm forced to buy older stuff to get anything that I can actually use as a truck, on or, especially, off road. SD's would work, but who can afford them. If you really need a heavy duty fwd, SD's are the best machine, cab, and looker out there. I wish people would quit buying pickups for commuters and grocery-getters so the OEM's can get back to building trucks. At least Ford would have a head start over Chevy!

Old 01-29-2005, 10:06 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by beano
you guys must be getting the wrong idea. i love my superduty. and it has been a great truck. i do have a 99 superduty but its not a rag. its a very nice truck , pulls well and runs like a champ with no problems. i just with my psd had a better refined interior. thats why i am looking at a chevy. my ford hasnt done me any wrong at all. i just want a bit more comfort.
You never did say what two trucks you are comparing. Is it an '05 Chevy to your '99 Superduty you currently have, if so, of course the Chevy will be nicer, it's 6 years newer. Have you looked at the new '05 King Ranch's at all??? I have not see a truck with a nicer fit 'n finish than those!
I have a '99 Superduty Lariat with PSD, I'll admit it's not the nicest interior, especially for a Lariat. Everything is just the molded dash, where I've seen the newer model lariats with wood trim, which would dress it up a lot. It does leave something to be desired, but for what I paid for it and what I use it for I will not complain about it. The truck serves it's purpose far beyond my expectations.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:24 AM
Megalodon1
Senior User
Originally Posted by MJD
Electric transfer case???????????????????? Whaaat. Scratch that junk. If you can't pull a lever, you shouldn't be driving an 8,000 pound vehicle. It will be very fun when you get stranded out in the middle of nowhere, because the 4X4 quit. Not flamin ya, but I absolutely HATE electronic t-cases. They are one of the many reasons that Americans are getting so fat.
I agree, but like automatic transmissions - there are people who will simply pay for the option and will switch brands to get it if they want it bad enough.

Personally I like a set up like this;

manual transmission
manual transfer case
power locks / windows
tilt cruise control
AM/FM with single CD
air conditioning
vinyl bench seat with center consol
rubber vinyl floor with rubber mats

Pretty basic by todays standards.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:45 AM
MJD
Elder User
Originally Posted by Megalodon1

manual transmission
manual transfer case
power locks / windows
tilt cruise control
AM/FM with single CD
air conditioning
vinyl bench seat with center consol
rubber vinyl floor with rubber mats

Pretty basic by todays standards.
Sounds good to me. exactly what I would order. Still, I do not think that there should even be an electric 4X4 option. Should be against the law!!!!!

Old 01-30-2005, 12:23 PM
beano
Senior User
Originally Posted by farmb0y
You never did say what two trucks you are comparing. Is it an '05 Chevy to your '99 Superduty you currently have, if so, of course the Chevy will be nicer, it's 6 years newer. Have you looked at the new '05 King Ranch's at all??? I have not see a truck with a nicer fit 'n finish than those!
I have a '99 Superduty Lariat with PSD, I'll admit it's not the nicest interior, especially for a Lariat. Everything is just the molded dash, where I've seen the newer model lariats with wood trim, which would dress it up a lot. It does leave something to be desired, but for what I paid for it and what I use it for I will not complain about it. The truck serves it's purpose far beyond my expectations.
i havent had te chance to look at the king rach yet. but from what i have seen its pretty nice. i need to go take a look at the new fords and see what they have to offer.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:45 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by beano
i havent had te chance to look at the king rach yet. but from what i have seen its pretty nice. i need to go take a look at the new fords and see what they have to offer.
That's the least I can ask from you to keep you from not buying a Chebby!
I think you will be plesantly surprised. I looked at them at a couple of farm shows, they were nicer than a lot of cars I've seen! Way too nice for my liking.

Quick Reply: any reason not to switch to a chevy