Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

any reason not to switch to a chevy

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Weevil
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Trucks in the NFL ?

Yes and if trucks were in the NFL the chevys would be the pretty cheer leaders (but can they cook?) and the Fords would be the strong tough football players.

Originally Posted by F-Deuce50
And the FORD doesent have a factory body lift like the Chevy does. And the FORD looks flat out TOUGHER..GrRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Old 01-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry guys, but I have it on good authority, from a goofy carpenter character who drives a beat up Datsun rust bucket ...er .. pick up .. that my truck is "pretty" ..too pretty for him...can't use it as a truck.

Can we spell JEALOUSY????

The guy is a complete dork and I cannot for the life of me, figure out why my best friend's little brother hangs out with him.

Anyway ... to settle the argument ... my truck is not only TOUGH .. but it's also pretty .... bleh.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:04 PM
beano
Senior User
well i went and test drove a chevy today with the damx and allison. i liked it. interior was 10 times ford was and i loved the tow/haul mode. but the leg room still has me worried for now. i am 6'4'' felt a bit small to me. but i wont be changin trucks for a while. i like the chevy and its probably what i will get next. seemed to me the chevy was more advanced that the ford. i saw alot of things that but the ford second.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:10 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by beano
well i went and test drove a chevy today with the damx and allison. i liked it. interior was 10 times ford was and i loved the tow/haul mode. but the leg room still has me worried for now. i am 6'4'' felt a bit small to me. but i wont be changin trucks for a while. i like the chevy and its probably what i will get next. seemed to me the chevy was more advanced that the ford. i saw alot of things that but the ford second.
Just curious, what were the specifics that made you feel like the Chevy was more advanced over the Ford?? What two trucks are you comparing, '05 chevy to '05 ford??

Old 01-28-2005, 10:31 PM
beano
Senior User
Originally Posted by farmb0y
Just curious, what were the specifics that made you feel like the Chevy was more advanced over the Ford?? What two trucks are you comparing, '05 chevy to '05 ford??
the fit and finish for sure, the tow/haul mode and autoride options. some of the stuff they offer in the interior, onstar,satlite radio. stuff like that. there are a few others but that was the majority

you dont see ford offering items like this

Autoride is basically electronically controlled damping on your shocks. The system is known as Bi-State Real-Time Damping(BSRTD) which responds in Real-Time to road and driving conditions based on body and wheel motions through position sensors on the vehicle. The more sudden suspension or body movement that is detected by the system then more or less shock damping is applied. In addition to great handling, the system offers instant suspension response to wheel speed, body position, vehicle speed, steering angle and braking.

Last edited by beano; 01-28-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,515 Likes on 2,159 Posts
Beano

I am a Chevrolet person driving a Ford....do what you want. If you want a truck that rides and performs like a car..go for it. I left GM because they forgot what a truck was built for....and the GM Region manager avoided me like the plague...so if your looking for support your well on your own.

GM does not back the product they produce....you conform to the product they build. Ford has been willing to buy back a bad product to satisfy an owner.

I own a 6.0L diesel and never had a major problem. To each his own and good luck with your choice.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:26 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

the fit and finish for sure, the tow/haul mode and autoride options. some of the stuff they offer in the interior, onstar,satlite radio. stuff like that. there are a few others but that was the majority

you dont see ford offering items like this

Autoride is basically electronically controlled damping on your shocks. The system is known as Bi-State Real-Time Damping(BSRTD) which responds in Real-Time to road and driving conditions based on body and wheel motions through position sensors on the vehicle. The more sudden suspension or body movement that is detected by the system then more or less shock damping is applied. In addition to great handling, the system offers instant suspension response to wheel speed, body position, vehicle speed, steering angle and braking.
Sounds like too many electronics and things to go wrong, IMHO. Looks like it'll have an extremely smooth ride and a lot of options for convience, but for me, I don't buy a truck for that reason. I like something that looks nice, but I'm not afraid to drive it through a foot of snow or a muddy cow pasture with a livestock trailer on behind (pics in my gallery), and have the confidence that it'll get me through. But I won't tell you what to get, it's your money and spend it the way you want. Keep doing what you're doing, and test drive a lot of vehicles, and get the one that you like the best. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2005, 10:16 AM
zkuykendall
New User
Hmmm, you've seemed to be with the Chevy all along even though people have said the Ford is a better truck, and they're right, you can buy what you want. And the reason Ford doesn't have all of that stuff is because you don't need it, it's a truck, not a mini-van. Of course people here are going to be biased, it's FTE not CTE. If you weren't going to buy a Ford you should've at least gone with a Dodge, they still know what a truck is. Meh, not my worry. Have fun!

Old 01-29-2005, 10:50 AM
beano
Senior User
Originally Posted by zkuykendall
Hmmm, you've seemed to be with the Chevy all along even though people have said the Ford is a better truck, and they're right, you can buy what you want. And the reason Ford doesn't have all of that stuff is because you don't need it, it's a truck, not a mini-van. Of course people here are going to be biased, it's FTE not CTE. If you weren't going to buy a Ford you should've at least gone with a Dodge, they still know what a truck is. Meh, not my worry. Have fun!
dodge? your nuts. i have been down that road and i dont have the time nor the money to keep a junky dodge on the road.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Fastronald
Elder User
Ford vs. Chevy

The newer Chevy trucks are just plain ugly! The old Dodges were ugly at one point, now GM makes the most ugly , cheap and flimsy looking trucks. What's with that stupid plastic rap on the sides? Fords look better everyday.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Megalodon1
Senior User
dodge? your nuts. i have been down that road and i dont have the time nor the money to keep a junky dodge on the road.
Poor uninformed and inexperienced guy who want's to buy a vehicle with all the niceties of a car and in the shape and form of a truck.....

I have nothing against GM trucks, but all of the features which you say are going to sway you over to GM have no business being on any real working truck.

These options offer nothing real except for more complication, higher maintenance, and less ruggedness. These are fragile components. Your Onstar is an excellent means of allowing law enforcement to keep tabs on you. I guess it will keep you "safe and sound" though...how did any of us ever manage without it??

IMO trucks should'int come with anything more than power windows/doorlocks
tilt wheel/cruise control,climate control, leather, automatic transmission, electronic transfer case, a nice sound system, and remote keyless entry as options. Carpeting should not be optional IMO - it takes a major beating.

You might want to think about how much time you may waste getting all of these extras serviced over the life of the vehicle since downtime seems so important to you.

I too find it very odd that you would ask a question like this when your mind is/was already made up. As I pointed out earlier - Ford has many major advantages over GM...I wish I could say the 6.0 is more reliable, but I can't- though I certainly think it is no worse than the Duramax.

As far as not having time or money for keeping a junky Dodge on the road...
What makes it so junky in your opinion? Are you going by experiences with an old Dart that left you stranded a few times? Maybe a friends truck that broke a pitman arm from severe off roading? Lousy resale value of the Neon?
Whatever it is - it's not from working with Dodge trucks - you could'int use the term "junky" if you had real experience with using them.

If reliability is your number one priority than Dodge should be your first choice.
The Cummins is unmatched by anything out now in terms of dead cold reliability. The 48RE is having the least problems of any automatic transmission in diesel trucks. This may not be the most exciting combo to own but it is the most reliable one right now.

If you think you may off road Dodge's front axle is superior. The Dodge has superior side to side interior space - though inferior to the Ford. It has larger rims, and higher capacity tires for handling real heavy loads - though again less than Ford's.

Of course none of this reliability matters in the "junky" Dodge...the fact is you want to float on the road, and the Dodge rides like a truck - like a tool box on wheels.

You want the GM fine - I think they make a decent truck, and you cant fault IFS for highway use - but why ask the question if your mind was already made up not to buy a Ford? Why pot shot Dodge's reliability when the fact is you've been sold on comfort?

Old 01-29-2005, 01:23 PM
beano
Senior User
well that shows how much you know. figures. anyway . just to enlighten you i have had a dodge with the cummings in it. here are all the things that went wrong with this truck

roof leaked, sending unti went bad in the tank,brakes pulled after 3 sets of calipers, fuel shut off went south, cracked ear in the oil pump, injection pump cracked, seats tore, dash feel apart, coudnt keep tires on it, nor brake pads, fuel linkage broke all the time, not to mention it was weak. too many to list.

as far as the truck being fragile...i doubt it. you just sounds like your jealous. onstar; i dont even want that. just for the reason of being tracked down.
you amuse me. the context of you posts shows that your a bit mad that someone else is has a diffrent point of view. if you like a dodge so much go buy one. i have had one and i know what the deal is.
you right that i want to buy a vehicle on how nice it is. i spend alot of time using my truck. why wouldnt i want something nice? the truth of the matter is that no one has come up with a "real" nreason why not to buy a chevy. well other than "its ugly" or thier motors knock, ...the classic....if you want a car get a chevy. all opinons which means nothing.

Old 01-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Megalodon1
Senior User
well that shows how much you know. figures. anyway . just to enlighten you i have had a dodge with the cummings in it. here are all the things that went wrong with this truck

roof leaked, sending unti went bad in the tank,brakes pulled after 3 sets of calipers, fuel shut off went south, cracked ear in the oil pump, injection pump cracked, seats tore, dash feel apart, coudnt keep tires on it, nor brake pads, fuel linkage broke all the time, not to mention it was weak. too many to list.

as far as the truck being fragile...i doubt it. you just sounds like your jealous. onstar; i dont even want that. just for the reason of being tracked down.
you amuse me. the context of you posts shows that your a bit mad that someone else is has a diffrent point of view. if you like a dodge so much go buy one. i have had one and i know what the deal is.
you right that i want to buy a vehicle on how nice it is. i spend alot of time using my truck. why wouldnt i want something nice? the truth of the matter is that no one has come up with a "real" nreason why not to buy a chevy. well other than "its ugly" or thier motors knock, ...the classic....if you want a car get a chevy. all opinons which means nothing.
Well if you've got the Dodge figured out for yourself - fine. I really could care less, like I said - I like GM trucks just fine. If opinions you recieve "means nothing" as you say - then why ask for them? You pretty much had your answer before you posted this question - you'd have been better off posting a question regarding the merits of Chevy trucks vs. Ford trucks without the insinuation that you was looking for an opinion on which to buy.

Old 01-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,515 Likes on 2,159 Posts
I gave you reason enough Beano. I am Chevrolet down to my socks, so would you not wonder why I am driving a Ford?

I wish I had my digital camera today. Nice new CC DRW Dura-Max setting at a service bay while I was getting fuel, the left front torsion bar cut loose. I am sure the OnStar and satellite radio was still working.

If you love Quality and great service, choice is yours…..

Old 01-29-2005, 03:17 PM
beano
Senior User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
I gave you reason enough Beano. I am Chevrolet down to my socks, so would you not wonder why I am driving a Ford?

I wish I had my digital camera today. Nice new CC DRW Dura-Max setting at a service bay while I was getting fuel, the left front torsion bar cut loose. I am sure the OnStar and satellite radio was still working.

If you love Quality and great service, choice is yours…..
wow great. i can sleep tonight.

Quick Reply: any reason not to switch to a chevy