1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Intermittant electrial issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 09:26 AM
fjord barbie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intermittant electrial issues

I have a 1995 Ford Ranger STX that has had several nagging intermittent electrical problems for 2 or three years that have baffled me as well as a couple of mechanics. I have patiently been waiting for this intermittent problem to become solid problem. I think that I am getting close. Recently, the newest symptom is that the 'ol girl' won't start. But, this too is also intermittent.

Any ideas on where I might start problem solving?

Symptom: Hazard, blinkers, cigarette lighter, windshield wiper (low settings) intermittently do not work. Temporary Fix? Open the driver side door and press the fuse panel.

Symptom: When the alarm button of the remote is activated, the horn stutters weakly (like there's a short somewhere). Temporary Fix? Hope I never have to use it.

Symptom: Truck won't start. When the ignition is first turned on the power locks open and close themselves a couple of times. Temporary Fix? Borrowed a GM

Thanks. Barbie

Old 01-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Dave257
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Symptom: When the alarm button of the remote is activated, the horn stutters weakly (like there's a short somewhere). Temporary Fix? Hope I never have to use it.

That sounds like a poor ground and could also cause the other problems. Carefully look at the ground from the battery that connects to the body of the truck, remove it clean if you can. Also look for other black ground wires connected to the body and clean them.
Dave