yet another "how much power" post...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 04:26 PM
topdeadcenter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yet another "how much power" post...

Hey guys,

I am about to screw together my 302 and I was wondering an approximate on hp/tq. I AM NOT BUILDING a race motor. This is just a "cool" cruiser for a future project (50's f100).

I am running:

1972 block (early 1973 casting) .030 over.

stock 1972 heads w/ 58.4 cc chambers,

Flat top pistons, (I think that should put my compression ratio around (9.3),

Cam: 214/224 dura at .050, w/ .472/.496 lift , 112 lobe centers

and for intake: (before you read, I KNOW that this is WAY too much for this engine, but I don't care) EdelBrock F-28 dual quads, with 2 500cfm AFBs, and progressive linkage.

Is there is more you need, just ask. I just want a "ballpark" figure.

thanks!
Mike

Old 01-23-2005, 12:14 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
to much carb and that motor will fall on its face. but hey it will look kewl with the hood open right

Old 01-23-2005, 07:23 AM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with Kemicalburns on this one! It's definitely not going to run good at all. I would suggest seeing that it's basically a stock setup that a good dual plane intake and a small 4bbl would work quite well. If your going just for looks then go ahead but your sacrificing driveability with that setup.

Just my

Old 01-23-2005, 08:25 AM
stevef100s
Posting Guru
That's a mild cam, and perfect for a 50's F100 cool cruiser. The progressive linkage will make that setup streetable, but tuning will be a bitch, and I'm not a big fan of the Carter AFB/Edelbrock/Weber line of carbs (they're all the same).
They're good carbs, but I have a tough time tuning them for custom applcations, such as yours. That is a good intake, but the stock heads are going to limit your power output. The heads have more of an effect on horsepower then the cam does. Most likely you'll have around 300 hp. Maybe somebody here will run it through their desktop dyno, so You can actually get your question answered, without a bunch of opinions. lol

Old 01-23-2005, 09:46 AM
topdeadcenter
Senior User
Thanks Steve! I knew I was going to get the "it won't run" opinions when I posted it. But my old man (a mechanic in the late 60's early 70's) installed a ton of over the counter dual quad set ups on "stock" mustangs. I am not a big fan of the AFB carb either, but holley doesn't make a carb that fits I e-mailed their tech support, hoping that the 390 cfm would fit, but alas it won't...

Kemical and the Wiz~ I know it is not going to be a race car! Just a cruiser, but when I pop the hood, people say "COOL!" As for the engine being basically stock, other that the displacement and the heads, what else could I change? I don't believe that any factory 302 came with that cam and that compression combined

Progressive linkage is the key to any multiple carb set-up.

Mike