1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

movin on up, but how high?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 04:55 PM
serian
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-13-2002, 11:21 AM
grago87
New User

I've been thinking about a suspention lift for my 87 full size Bronco. I have heard that I may have to extend the drive shafts. That sounds just plan expensive to me.. so my question is, how high can I go with out having to extend them? and if I do have to extend them, what is the easiest (and cheapest) way to do so?

Thanks,
Grago

Old 08-13-2002, 03:34 PM
dpoelstra
Senior User

why do you want to lift the truck? Your ground clearence is only as good as the differentials anyway...Unless you plan on going through deep water. Other than that why lift? But if you must...do NOT go with the asiest and cheapest. Have you ever seen what happens to a truck doing about 70mph and have a driveline snap? Picture 4000 lbs of steal pole vaulting. I've seen it and I don't recomend it.

What ever you do...do it right or don't do it.
(I recomend not wasting your time with a lift if it is just for looks)

Old 08-13-2002, 07:05 PM
dsvw56
New User

Lifting the body gives you room for bigger tires which gives you more ground clearance. Its not rocket science.

Old 08-13-2002, 10:28 PM
paveslave
Senior User

I've used a couple lifts on trucks, but never a bronco. I know your driveline is shorter, but I don't think by much. If you get a decent lift you shouldn't have to extend your driveshafts any. I've used superlift before with blocks in the rear instead of new springs. I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you just drive your truck for show because it really doesn't help the ride out. The blocks came cantered so that the rear axle pointed up a little so you wouldn't lose too much of your driveline. I wheeled in it for about two years and NEVER had a problem with the driveshaft. The lift I use now is a Skyjacker Class II lift which uses extended rear springs instead of blocks... big difference. It too comes with a cantered spring so that the rear axle faces upward so you don't lose too much of your driveline.
I definately wouldn't use a body lift even if you paid me too. They look gaudy, and they are pointless. You now expose your frame for all to see as well as raise your center of gravity between your suspension and your body. I have to admit, I've used a body lift one time and after a couple of months after using it I regreted it. They seriously are pointless and they just look bad. A suspension lift is the way to go, and it serves more of a purpose than just looking good. A suspension lift allows your truck to flex better, and on uneven ground it allows you to keep your wheels where their supposed to be...on the ground. A body lift wont do that for you. Yes, your diff's will still be low, but a body lift wont help there either. Bigger wheels is the only way to lift your diff. Depending on the size of the suspension lift you choose you can run up to 37" tires with no problem. Another option is to use a large suspension lift with fender flares to go with bigger tires than you could do with just a body lift. I am running a 6" suspension lift with 35" X 12.50" tires. Just loook at my gallery and tell me if I'm having any problems.
To sum it up, if you're looking for a well built quality lift that wont decrease your driveline too much, go with Skyjacker Class II. Forget the body lift, it's a cheesy way out of making you rig "movin on up". One last thing.... spend the extra cash and get extended leafs in the rear, blocks aren't worth a spit.

-Ry

-If it aint broke, fix it till it is...

-Stop telling God how big your problems are, instead
tell your problems how big your God is...

1985 F-150 302 4X4
Dana 44 TTB / 9 inch
4.56:1 Front/True-Trac
4.56:1 Rear/Detroit Locker
C-6 Tranny, NP208 Transfer
6 inch Skyjacker Class II lift
35 X 12.50 BFGoods AT's

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=6696&.jpg https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=6663&.jpg

Old 08-17-2002, 03:22 PM
wille3r
Senior User

I`ve got a `82 F250 w/ 6" lift w/ blocks 39.5 sup swamp 15"`s wide. No body lift. My truck is LWB. I don`t have any trouble at all with swaying going down hard stuff. Even at 75 MPH!!! The only problem I have is the lugs hit the leaf springs if I turn too sharp. The back sags a little bit , but that about to be remedied. If I can`t go around it , I`ll go over it!!!

Old 08-18-2002, 11:56 PM
electricmaniac2
Senior User

Have you ever noticed that the front tires on a lifted TTB front end just do not last??? I have...I ruined a good(and expensive) set of 38.5x15-15 ground hawgs on my 84 F-150 My blood pressure rises every time I think about it. I wish I would've either bought an F-350 with a straight axle or done a solid axle swap w/ leaf springs to the F-150...I hope you're happy with whatever road you choose to travel and good luck!

Old 08-19-2002, 09:12 AM
paveslave
Senior User

Nope... nver noticed the difference. I'm certain that if you don't take the necessary steps to correct your alignment after you install a lift then you will experience a tire wear problem. That goes to say with any front axle though so it doesn't make a difference if it's TTB or not. Now, a straight axle would be better for many other reasons, but I wont go there.
If you choose to lift your TTB just make sure you get a set of 3 degree camber bushings and you should have no problem with UNEVEN tire wear. Another thing you could do is ROTATE your tires from front to back every 7k miles, or sooner if you have mud tires. There are a lot of factors included in tire wear, but it has nothing to do with your axle. Like I said, make sure you keep your alignment in check and you should be fine.
-Ry

-If it aint broke, fix it till it is...

-Stop telling God how big your problems are, instead
tell your problems how big your God is...

1985 F-150 302 4X4
Dana 44 TTB / 9 inch
4.56:1 Front/True-Trac
4.56:1 Rear/Detroit Locker
C-6 Tranny, NP208 Transfer
6 inch Skyjacker Class II lift
35 X 12.50 BFGoods AT's

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=6696&.jpg https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/displaythumbnail.php?&photoid=6663&.jpg