Do you think this would work????

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 11:44 PM
BlueOvalfan85
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think this would work????

Hey, y'all!

For the past few days, I have been toying with this notion that was hatching in my head. I was reading Truckin' Magazine today and I saw a picture of an F150 with a shaker hood. Now this is where it gets interesting.......

I was wondering about how to adapt the shaker to the 4.2 and get fresh air and classic looks. I love how the shaker looks and performs. You know what I'm talkin' about here.

Any of you guys ever thought about this or tried it???

Also, this question is kinda off-topic, but what is the number of splines on the axleshafts in my 8.8 rearend? The reason I'm asking is because I'm planning on buying a PowerTrax diff for the 8.8 to get more traction. Any pros and cons of the PowerTrax??? What is it like to drive with one???

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2005, 05:48 AM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
our rear-end is 31-spline, better than 28. I no nothing about powertrax. If I were to get a T-lock, i'd get the Ford T-Lock. They are dirt cheap on eBay.

As for the shaker hood, I think about it quite often. on eBay, you can get a scoop for like, 15-20 bucks. If you are crafty, some fiberglass, bondo, and a die-grinder ought to get something going.....

Old 01-20-2005, 10:02 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
I'm not too big on hoods myself. I've seen I think 1 or 2 hoods that look GOOD on an F150.

As far as the Powertrax goes, it just depends on how picky are. I have the Ford T-Lock, and it's stronger than crap...works great too. Also, an LSD will be a better every day driver than a true locker.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:41 PM
BlueOvalfan85
Senior User
I have read about the PowerTrax and your right, True4.2, it's a locker, but it doesn't make ratcheting sounds and doesn't clunk like some lockers do. I'm looking at this because it doesn't exhibit any of these traits. But if you swear by your T-lock, maybe I will look at buying one. How much do they go for on Ebay?

Thanks for your input!

Old 01-20-2005, 04:34 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
the FMS T-lock on ebay goes for well under $100

i'd say ballpark is 65

Old 01-20-2005, 11:05 PM
A_Fire_InsideR1
Senior User
Originally Posted by 4.2manster
the FMS T-lock on ebay goes for well under $100

i'd say ballpark is 65
is this an electronic locker?

i wish someone would explain how differentials work

Old 01-21-2005, 06:53 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
no this is not an electronic locker.

i don't know exactly how lockers and lsd's and all that mumbo jumbo work, but let me try to explain what i imagine in my head

open diff.: only 1 wheel has power
LSD: both have power when needed?
locker: both wheels spin equally
elocker: wheels lock with the power of an electrical charge generated by magic. or maybe it's a locker that you turn on with a switch, which you mount in the cab

Old 01-22-2005, 03:57 AM
A_Fire_InsideR1
Senior User
i was under the impression that on an open diff, power goes to the right wheel when going forwards and to the left wheel when reversing. on a limited slip, power goes to one wheel under normal circumstances, when that wheel looses traction, the other one gets power. on a locker, both wheels are powered equally, on an electronic locker the differential can be toggled between 'open' and 'locked' electronically via a switch in the cab.

am i wrong? but i still dont know how a 'locking' differential actually works, is it a diffrent type of gears? is it a seperate "lock" unit you install ontop of the gears?

Old 01-22-2005, 11:23 AM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
maybe you're right about that, i never really knew. but i am really good at guessing, this time, i almost had it.

as far as how the unit actually works, I have no clue. Maybe a google search will be the answer to our questions. If you find out, please share!

Old 01-22-2005, 11:26 AM
BlueOvalfan85
Senior User
A_Fire_InsideR1, no your not wrong on that, but I'll try and explain this to you how a locking differential works. It locks both axles and you have equal traction anywhere, and lockers are full time. They don't switch on or off, and they lock your axles forever until something breaks.

That's the best explanation I have. Hope this clears it up for you.

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2005, 03:52 PM
A_Fire_InsideR1
Senior User
well wait, then whats the difference between a regular locker and an electronic locker? electronic ones are more expensive, whats electronic about them?

Old 01-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Country4.2
Senior User
I have a website that explains a lot of this except it wont let me post it, I have tried many configurations but it still wont let me, I even tried sending it in a private message, and an email to A_Fire_InsideR1, still didnt work. So if any of you guys are interested in this site or have any ideas of how to post it please let me know.

Old 01-22-2005, 09:02 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
usually you can just type the link and it shows up. like this
www.google.com

anyhow, fire inside, a locker is 24/7, an elocker is electronically activated. Meaning it "locks" upon command, or the flick of a switch. I know this because that's what the eaton ad said in my magazine. i think the latest truckin'

maybe it wasnt eaton though, but you get the point....

Old 01-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Fedds3.0
Junior User
The open diff def that someone gave is wrong. The wheel with the least resistance spins. This is usually the ouside wheel on a turn until the body rolls enough that the wieght is off the inside wheel and it spins (the outside wheel is easier to push a car through a turn than the inside one). Also note that when doing a burnout and the speedo reads 80, the wheel is really spinning at 160 (twice the speed). This is how ring and pinion gears allow you to make a turn and the wheels don't chatter (the chatter is from the inside wheel going a shorter distance than the outside one, but in a locker the wheel rotate at the same speed, so one has to chatter or slip on the pavement even when it's dry).

Here is a good link to what you want http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

some of the animations are very large, so give it some time. PM me if you have additional questions

Old 01-27-2005, 12:19 AM
A_Fire_InsideR1
Senior User
sweeeeeet thanks!

Quick Reply: Do you think this would work????