Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

pulling brakes

Old 01-18-2005, 05:23 PM
graymule
Junior User
graymule is starting off with a positive reputation.
pulling brakes

wassup guys, i'm having a problem w/ my front drum brakes. when the brakes are cold the right front tire will grab and lock up if i'm not careful, they will also squeal really loud. once the brakes reach operating temp. the problems go away. i recently replaced the master cylinder, wheel cylinders and brake shoes. i tried adjusting the left wheel tighter than the right but it does the same thing. i even checked to see if i had put the shoes on backwards on one side but they were on correctly. i'm thinking i may have gotten some bad brake shoes ( advance auto ) but i wanted to get another opinion before i replace them.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:45 PM
idealtrucks
Elder User
idealtrucks is starting off with a positive reputation.
well i believe the short shoe goes to the front, just to make sure thats the way you had them turned.
You may have got some grease or brake fluid or something on the brakes when you were putting them on. Try taking some brake cleaner and spraying on them. Maybe that will fix them. I had a cylinder start leaking on mine once. It made one side start grabbing and stuff. i put some light dust in the drums and it helped a lot to absorb the brake fluid.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:27 PM
graymule
Junior User
i checked for grease and fluid, i even sanded the shoes just in case there was something in there i didn't see. i can't remember which shoe i put on front but i went by the chilton's manual

Old 01-19-2005, 07:54 AM
GLR
Posting Legend
GLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputationGLR has a superb reputation
Sounds like grease or oil, if brake cleaner doesn't work you could try a little heat (gun or hair dryer) I have used a torch in the past... on the shoes. We have also swapped drums L to R to see if there was drum problems, Were the drums turned? they both should be the same diameter.

Old 01-19-2005, 12:23 PM
michaelbrainardatwor
Elder User
michaelbrainardatwor is starting off with a positive reputation.
They can be touchy! I have only done drum brakes once..and that was on the front of my 69.. Fortunately the drums were in good shape...but I should have had them turned anyway... But one side insisted on pulling early in the brake pedal stroke. I dinked with them for a while before finally getting them to work together. I was told to jack up the front of the truck...spin the wheel and adjust the brakes out until they start to grab, then back it off a few clicks. Get both sides adjusted the same. It took a few tries but I managed to get it close.

Old 01-19-2005, 11:39 PM
orich
Post Fiend
orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.
One thing most guys don't do is replace the shoe spring hardware. You know 30+ yrs. it's time to do it. Turn the drums even if you don't thing it's needed
just to true them up. Do rebuild or replace wheel cyls, repack or replace wheel bearings and seals. You should replace rubber brake line to wheel cyls if they have cracks in them. Put drum on adjust wheel bearing lock nut. Adjust shoes to drum so it will not turn easy then do the other wheel the same. Bleed system. reCheck and readjust till shoe stops drum from turning, Now back off 3-4 clicks and recheck foot pedal. This should be all good to go now. Don't forget to check rear shoes do as needed and adjust them up while your working on the brakes.. YEP, SHORT SHOE UP FRONT
iF it's grabbing you better find out what why real soon, if it's making noises you better pull it down and check the side of the shoes for ware from the drum, Maybe the wheel bearing is not adjusted right. my 2cent
orich

Old 01-20-2005, 03:07 AM
Ford_Six
Post Fiend
Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
Did it do this before the job too, or just after?

Old 01-20-2005, 07:02 AM
jowilker
Post Fiend
jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
Got a question, Did you check your rear brakes? Sometimes that will cause the action described.

John

Old 01-20-2005, 08:42 PM
graymule
Junior User
thanx for all the info guys. i've had this problem for quite a while but it seems to be worse lately. i thought it was because of a leaking wheel cylinder. i replaced the wheel cylinders and shoes but it didn't help the pulling problem all that much. i plan to pull it down tomorrow and check out some of your ideas.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:39 PM
orich
Post Fiend
orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.orich has a great reputation on FTE.
Ok, you better check the back, a bad right rear brake will make it pull to the left.And In (most)cases same for the front.. Also check for a warped drums. spin it and watch the run out of it or a bent hub this will make a shoe rub on the side of it and made a grinding noise . my 2cent
orich

Old 01-21-2005, 12:17 AM
Ford_Six
Post Fiend
Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
depending on the severity of the pull, it might be a bad brake hose, a crimped or crushed brake line, or even a suspension problem. Pulling and noises can be a really hard thing to diagnose.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:16 AM
4Cammer72
Elder User
4Cammer72 is starting off with a positive reputation.
yeah, bad radius arm bushings can do the same thing.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:41 AM
graymule
Junior User
all these are good ideas guys but the only thing i don't understand is why it stops pulling once the brakes get hot. the noise also stops

Old 01-22-2005, 09:46 AM
graymule
Junior User
i think i found the problem, it was a bad inner wheel bearing on one side. i replaced it and it seems to have solved the problem. thanx for all the help. i never thought a wheel bearing would have caused a problem like that.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:23 AM
jowilker
Post Fiend
jowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to beholdjowilker is a splendid one to behold
And where did you find this bad bearing?

John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pulling brakes

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.