New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile lockers 7.3 2002

air lockers? detoit? some help please

Old 01-17-2005, 12:51 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
I'm about to install ARBs front and rear in my '01 PSD. I chose the ARBs since you can switch them on and off so that you get great traction off road and no change in handling on the street, in the snow/ice, and while towing.
A good install is key so to their operation.

Old 01-17-2005, 01:44 PM
teamptg
New User
Smile air lockers

thankyou do you know the part numbers or where to buy? and do i need to change anything else? thanks gary

Old 01-17-2005, 02:43 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
WCD (www.differentials.com), Drivetrain Superstores (www.drivetrainsuperstores.com), Randy's (www.ringpinion.com) along with a bunch of other places all sell ARBs, Detroits, gears, install kits, etc..

If you give one of the above places a call they can get you pricing on all of the parts you would need.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:55 PM
teamptg
New User
Question air lockers

do you know what diff is in my truck and how do i figure it out? thanks gary

Old 01-17-2005, 09:21 PM
RocknXJ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teamptg
air lockers? detoit? some help please
Why are you going to lockers...how will you be using it? That makes a big difference in what locker you would be happiest with. Detroits are strong and totally maintenance free. ARB's are nearly as strong, but can have reliability problems. Many use ARB's with no problems, but many do have problems. The problems can be leaky internal seals that push gear lube back up the air line which then leaks out, holes in the air lines, and electrical problems with relays and solenoids.

Detroits can have minor handling quirks on the street, which are more noticeable with a stick than an auto. In a heavy truck you probably will never feel it. Detroits have been used in trucks for many years, you can find D70's and D80's in wrecking yards with Detroits. An ARB is an open diff when not locked, so it will be totally invisible on the street.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Biwanylo
Senior User
rear is fords 10.5 front may be a dana 60 or 50 you need to look at the webing on the front of the diff wher the axle tube gos in some times a tag or sticker may tell you

Old 01-17-2005, 09:59 PM
teamptg
New User
Talking lockers

i go off road desert mud ect. i have a warn 16.5 and been asked to pull other superduties out out would like to feel better about not getting stuck myself. if you had your choice which would you install? thanks for the tips gary

Old 01-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Biwanylo
Senior User
Detroite for the rear Arb up front

Old 01-17-2005, 11:24 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
I wish they would make an OX Lock for the 50.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:56 PM
fordlover
Junior User
Had an Powertraxx put in the father's truck for him. Can't tell it is back there and gets killer traction.
Ryan

Old 01-18-2005, 12:16 AM
mech2161
Posting Guru
The rear is no problem I know guys running spools every day. Up front is were it makes a big difference what you use. A Detroit style gets pretty hairy when the roads are slick.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:53 AM
RocknXJ
Senior User
Originally Posted by teamptg
i go off road desert mud ect. i have a warn 16.5 and been asked to pull other superduties out out would like to feel better about not getting stuck myself. if you had your choice which would you install? thanks for the tips gary
I run Detroits front and rear in my Cherokee, which is what I use off road. My F250 pulls the Jeep trailer and hauls the camper. If you want reliable traction and are willing to live with occasionally feeling the locker, but are not willing to live with any reliablity issues, then go with Detroits. If you want the locker to be absolutely invisible on the street and are willing to risk an ocassional problem, then go with the ARB's. It's a personal thing which is more important.

With an auto trans, the Detroit will be nearly invisible. I never feel mine, but that's partly because I'm very used to how it handles. I'm not willing to live with any potential problems, so I won't run an ARB. In the front, with the hubs unlocked on the street, the locker isn't doing anything so it's invisible. A case can be made for not wanting a front locker (in 4wd) in icy conditions, and here the ARB could be better because you can be in 4wd with the ARB unlocked, but otherwise it won't make a difference. When an ARB is locked it turns into a spool, and a Detroit will still have some differentiation (which is why it's called an automatic locker), so in 4wd on firmer surfaces the Detroit can actually turn better than the ARB.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:18 AM
teamptg
New User
Smile lockers

thanks for all the info, gary