1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

i hear air

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 02:12 PM
trkdrvr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation i hear air

Hello again i may look like i dont know anything. i put in a new intake manifold and now i hear air in the carb. is that normal? for some reason i dont think it is. Thanks for the replys

Old 01-16-2005, 02:45 PM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like you have a leak. But to ruel out simple things first, make sure you reconnected al vacuum hoses first. Your carb could have vacuum connections that need to be hooked up or capped off.

Now, if it's not just an open connection, you need to look for leaks at the intake manifold. It could be leaking where the carb mounts. This can usually be fixed by pulling the carb, cleaning the surfaces and replacing the gasket. Torque the carb bolts to spec. (I'm guessing about 20ft-lbs).

Now, if you determine the leak is between the intake and the head., you've probably got to remove the intake and reinstall it being very particular about the gasket positions and using gasket sealer in a few key spots.

How is it running? Any stumbling, missing or high-idling?

Old 01-18-2005, 10:54 AM
trkdrvr
Freshman User
Thumbs up air leak

Ok i only have one hose goin to the carb. the fitting has been cleaned and is in good condition. now the leak may be from the intake area. but is hard to figure out. the truck is a 67. so all the parts are fairly easy to figure out. the air sounds like it is comming out the carb it self. i have replaced the gasket 2 times already. yes it stumbles a bit a pop here or there when gettin in the throttle. and a lack of power too. thanks for the help.

Last edited by trkdrvr; 01-18-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:48 AM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What does it sound like? After I rebuilt my carb it whistled real loud. It sounded like a slipping belt. It turned out that the old carb-to-manifold gasket had been siliconed on around the bolts and I didn't clean off the silicone well enough so that the new gasket could seal. It was so loud I couldn't tell where the sound was coming from so what I did was take a spray bottle and spray water all around the carb until I found the spot. When the water hit the spot it got sucked in and the sound stopped and the engine slowed down a little. I had to get a sharp chisel and get all of that silicone off. Then I took a wire brush and polished the mounting surface until it was shiny. Air leak solved.

Old 01-22-2005, 09:58 AM
trkdrvr
Freshman User
Thumbs up air

Great info on the air leak. but it is a sound like air is entering the carb. i had the manifold cleaned by a shop before i put it on.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Rent-A-Racer
New User
or use carb cleaner and you'll hear the engune idle up a bit when you find the leak.

Old 01-23-2005, 11:44 AM
trkdrvr
Freshman User
air

ok thank you