6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fluid under X on cold mornings

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 09:50 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fluid under X on cold mornings

The last few sub freezing mornings we've had here in Texus I've noticed leakage under the rear part of the 6.0L Engine...

Looks like water w/ diesel, but haven't checked to be sure...

Water in fuel light did come on for a bit yesterday, but truck ran fine and light cleared before I got home...

Anyone else notice this ?

Old 01-16-2005, 11:11 AM
tristankc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe the correct thread title should have been "My second problem with my 6.0" LOL.. JK.

I don't have a clue what it is. Does it smell like it has diesel in it? By rear, are you talking all the way back to the exhaust pipe? Back to the bumper? Is this after sitting all night, or after you fire it off?

Old 01-16-2005, 11:23 AM
Crash687
Posting Guru
could just be condensation from your exhaust, something you might not be used to seeing in Texas, watch under your truck when you start it up and it has warmed a bit. you usually see it more when you let your vehicle sit and idle to warm up.

Old 01-16-2005, 11:46 AM
LaredoF350
Postmaster
I have had the same thing happen with mine. The new coolant in these things smells different - exactly as you described - water and diesel/oil. My truck will only do it when its had a really long cool down period, and even then, it only does it maybe 1 in 10 times. I did some research into this, and the problem seems to lie in the EGR cooler tube (under the turbo). There is some type of hose on there with a crappy clamp. I had mine in once for this problem before doing homework and they pressured up coolong system and there were no leaks but the engine was still warm. Next time I take it in it will overnight in the shop and then we will pressurize with everything cold and see what happens.

Old 01-16-2005, 01:27 PM
plumberman57
New User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
The last few sub freezing mornings we've had here in Texus I've noticed leakage under the rear part of the 6.0L Engine...

Looks like water w/ diesel, but haven't checked to be sure...

Water in fuel light did come on for a bit yesterday, but truck ran fine and light cleared before I got home...

Anyone else notice this ?
I had the same happen to me,it would leak coolant when the temp got down into the teens. I had it into the dealer 2 times & they could not find the leak.They then put a dye in the coolant system so they could black lite it. it got real cold here on thursday, so i took it backin to dealer. They called me on friday & told me it was leaking from the intake manifold.I hope this is the last of this problem.

Old 01-16-2005, 02:19 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Tristanik !!!
You're right -
but the two "problems" I have had are no more than an inconvenience so far hope it stays that way !

And the coolant thingy seems to describe it...
took some video and will move the Ex in a bit and "feel" the fluid... (hope it's not acid of any kind )
but that seems to describe it....

it is dripping down the back of the oil pan - tried to see from the top but couldn't and TOO cold for us Texicans to crawl under....
it seems like it is something like a clamp that doesn't hold the pressure when cold.... it's only done it 3 times in two years so... not an issue really....

but I did notice my coolant leel was low for the first time...

Maybe it's just coming from the degas bottle since it's so high and under pressure ?!?!?!

Thanks for the input gentlemen !

STILL the best vehicle I've ever owned !

Old 01-16-2005, 11:01 PM
Tower Jack
Senior User
Originally Posted by plumberman57
I had the same happen to me,it would leak coolant when the temp got down into the teens. I had it into the dealer 2 times & they could not find the leak.They then put a dye in the coolant system so they could black lite it. it got real cold here on thursday, so i took it backin to dealer. They called me on friday & told me it was leaking from the intake manifold.I hope this is the last of this problem.
YOU just described my problem to a T. We had a low of about -20F on friday and I lost the whole resevior of coolant. Took it in to the dealer and they couldn' find the leak. Its sitting in their lot and Monday morning they're gonna look for the leak. Its gonna be -20 again tonignt so it should just blow out this time when they check it. They did put the dye in so I put 60 Miles on it right away to help them find it. So if it leaks at the intake how do they fix it?

Old 01-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Todder
Elder User
Its your head gaskets shrinking during the cold and they expand and seal when warm. So you lose coolant at night when its cold.
After some reading on other sites its a common problem.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Tower Jack
Senior User
Originally Posted by Todder
Its your head gaskets shrinking during the cold and they expand and seal when warm. So you lose coolant at night when its cold.
After some reading on other sites its a common problem.
Dono I just came back from the dealer and they could'nt get it started yet. It did get to -20 or colder last night. They had the heater pluged in and a charger on the batteries. but no coolant ran out while sitting over the weekend in -20 and colder.

Old 01-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Todder
Elder User
That is something someone mentioned they had problems with on another site.
Could be for some and not for others.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:03 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
JD--exactly the same thing mine is doing. I asked the tech advisor if they couldn't see the stream where it had been running down the oil pan and he said no---duh. I was already losing it by this point as he and I had an argument about the tranny service I wanted (full filter change--pan and spinon not just a stinking flush). Anyway--they put dye in the coolant and I told em I'd see them in the morning. OH---tranny service also made my 2-3 clunk go away that I've had since it was new. makes you wonder, huh???

Old 02-15-2005, 11:42 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Time for a new dealer...
Understand their hands are tied by Ford in that they only fix it when it's broke... but what am I gonna have to do drive to Canada this week to get it to leak again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???

My dealer says there's no dye they can put in the coolant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 02-15-2005, 01:23 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
JD--exactly the same thing mine is doing. I asked the tech advisor if they couldn't see the stream where it had been running down the oil pan and he said no---duh. I was already losing it by this point as he and I had an argument about the tranny service I wanted (full filter change--pan and spinon not just a stinking flush). Anyway--they put dye in the coolant and I told em I'd see them in the morning. OH---tranny service also made my 2-3 clunk go away that I've had since it was new. makes you wonder, huh???
Was this with Mac Haik? Did you talk to Jason? If he gets too mouthy, ask for the service manager Charlie Folger.

Old 02-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Todder
Elder User
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Time for a new dealer...
Understand their hands are tied by Ford in that they only fix it when it's broke... but what am I gonna have to do drive to Canada this week to get it to leak again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???

My dealer says there's no dye they can put in the coolant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Go get the oil changed and have a analysis done on it. To see if there coolant in the oil from the leak. If there is take them the results.

Old 02-15-2005, 10:33 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I sent for my Blackstone analysis kit tonight. My first, but hopefully it'll tell lots. My oil level is up again--I never LOSE oil between changes. It's been too warm to get the mystery puddle under the truck, but as much coolant as I'm losing it has to be going somewhere. Here's where the Fumoto valve pays for itself!!! SBV--yes--that was Mac Haik but NOT Jason, he was off the second day my truck was in the shop. JD--of course you know by now that there IS dye for the coolant, but even though they say it can be seen after it runs down the block they couldn't see mine---told them come look at the yellow stain in my driveway. The important thing is that I have it documented with a dealer--UNDER WARRANTY--because it's obviously going to be a fight. I guess these dealerships think we LIKE having our 15K motors torn down, rebuilt, and possibly compromised. Is there such a thing as an automotive hypochondriac (sp?) I guess they think we make this stuff up just for giggles and grins. I actually have better things to do than rent cars and miss work. I wonder if I didn't make another 43K mistake (I had an 03 bought back). I just can't see myself driving a drudge crummins while the FASTFORDS are flying by. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Quick Reply: Fluid under X on cold mornings