Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Radio display light not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 04:43 PM
lparisi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio display light not working

I have a '98 Explorer XLT. The radio display light is out. I removed the radio to find that there is no bulb to replace. The dealership I went to said they would have to send it out and would take three weeks.

Once in a while, the display comes back on. I don't want to fork over $150 or so for a light. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the repair would be? I this a common problem?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-10-2005, 02:02 AM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
96 Sport - Radio Display

I too have a problem with intermitent loss of radio display. Most recently, mine will no longer allow me to change radio stations when the display disappears ( this did not happen when the problem first occurred). I can tap of the radio a few times and I get back the display and station control. I had a similar problem on my 93 F-150 and it turned out to be a blown fuse but I suspect that is not the problem here. I have not chased it yet but I suspect the problem has is with a bad component internal to the radio. You might try a junk yard for a complete replacement unit. Like you I am not interested in investing a fortune into the radio on one of these vehicles. If you do determine what the problem is, please post.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:55 AM
mason
Elder User
There have been a number of threads on this subject on this forum. It is a common problem with Ford radios. I suggest you do a search on the subject. I used an Internet service to fix the problem in a Mercury Villager. www.shareamemory.com/radio I was satisfied with their service.

Mason

Old 01-10-2005, 09:06 PM
lparisi
New User
Going to the threads

After I posted, I decided to check the possibility that this has happend to other Ford owners. I did find quite a bit of information in the threads. I will try it out in a few days and post the results.