Turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 07:39 PM
ACESN8S
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Car Craft: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/93500/index3.html

"Like a turbocharger, centrifugal superchargers use a spinning impeller to compress air. But unlike an exhaust-driven turbo, the centrifugal supercharger's impeller is spun off the crankshaft by pulleys and a drivebelt."

Full Throttle...the show with the twins?
I wouldn't let them work on my rig if my life depended on it.

Patrick

Last edited by ACESN8S; 01-08-2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:06 AM
stevef100s
Posting Guru
Some of the cars they do end up going SLOWER.

Old 01-09-2005, 04:24 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
There is lots more info in the turbo and supercharger forum here. Look down in the engine section of the forums.

I wouldn't let the twins work on my rig either. I think they are both Cheby guys tho... They sure don't know diddly about Fords. i watched a few times, had to quit because my wife was complaining about the noise.. -from the laughter.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Senior User
i am a young motor head and the (OLD MEN) are wright.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:20 PM
ranger240
Elder User
here is some food for thought. I hope it is helpful in making your decision of weather you want belt or exhaust driven induction.

the belt driven -chargers are parasitic, meaning they actually make your motor LOSE power in order to make power. exhaust driven -chargers are making power from lost energy. therefore a TURBO(exhaust)CHARGER is more efficient as it reclaims lost power (exhaust back pressure) and turns it back into crankshaft horsepower as the exhaust passes through the turbine, spinning the impeller(or compressor wheel) causing forced induction.

belt driven SUPERCHARGERS, beit roots type or cyntrifugal, are drawing crankshaft power in order to produce forced induction. therefore the more pressure (boost) you build, the more energy it will take to turn the impeller. not to mention the added exhaust back pressure.

INTERCOOLING, the process of dropping the intake air temperature after it has been compressed. on a turbo(exhaust driven) you will build more heat than with a belt driven unit due to the fact you are heating the turbo unit with exhaust gasses as well as compression, and this is a good thing!?!?! as you bring the air temp. back down, the air becomes more dense. In effect, you will actually be able to fit MORE air into the same amount of space, than if it were not re-cooled. with a cintrifugal type you will build heat as the air is compressed, and you can use an intercooler with this type as well, though the effect is not as great. On the Roots type superchargers, you cannot run an intercooler at all. I believe that there is an AFTERCOOLER available for this application, though I don't know anything about it as to how it works, weather it be from air or water cooling.

again I hope this helps in aiding your decision.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:39 PM
ACESN8S
Elder User
BDS calls theirs an intercooler as well.
The pic I linked to (from BDS) shows a closed loop system that gives the blower it's own cooling system.
Which would be a heck of a lot better than using the engine coolant to try and cool down the charge.

Patrick

Old 01-10-2005, 12:28 AM
ranger240
Elder User
YEAH!!!! that is what I remember seeing a long time ago on one of the "SPIKE TV" shows or something. I think they were putting it on a lightning. and they called it an AFTERCOOLER. I was VERY intrigued because of the efficiency of it. could you post a link to the site so I can check it out? I am designing my own turbo setup for my 240SX and this may be an option that I could go with, or atleast get an idea of building a setup to work with my car

HMMMMMMM, I smell smoke, oh that's just the dust burning from my original idea center of my brain.

Old 01-10-2005, 12:31 AM
ACESN8S
Elder User
Old 01-10-2005, 03:57 PM
stevef100s
Posting Guru
On a Roots style, primarily the new factory Ford installed Eatons, there is an air to water intercooler heat exchanger, mounted in the intake valley. Plenty of room there, since there is no camshaft there (overhead cam). There is also an electric pump to circulate the coolant through the exchanger, piping, and intercooler, using antifreeze from it's own tank. On the earlier Ford SC systems, like on the SuperCoupe, they used an air to air intercooler, which I feel isn't as efficient as the air to water. Most of the new turbos are water cooled, AND have a pressurized oil line to lubricate the bearings and to keep them cool. Not much heat is transfered to the aircharge any longer with the new turbos, but an intercooler of aftercooler is still a must for the optimum efficiency.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:18 PM
ACESN8S
Elder User
My 84 Turbo coupe had oil only from the factory. When they switched to oil and water cooled, the guy I got it from (a Ford service mngr) had it upgraded.
Later I added a factory air to air intercooler from a 86 I found in the wrecking yard.
Got it for a really good price....$125 for the intercooler including all of the duct work.

Patrick

Old 01-10-2005, 04:45 PM
falcor1
Junior User
my f150 has a supered 390.it has been dynoed at 475 hp.i still hate the guy that sold me the truck.the truck is offroad more than it is on it.the belts are breaking for the charger.next week i'm switching over to a turbo system albeit a singular one.i know i can increase total engine power output by 15-20% with several other minor changes.1972ford-you got things messed up if you can't open an instruction manual covering air compressing equipment in relation to engine upgrades.there is a big difference in the construction of these chargers.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:37 PM
1972ford_f-100
Senior User
jdfkfj'thrtstr

Last edited by 1972ford_f-100; 01-10-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:39 PM
1972ford_f-100
Senior User
ok,so so so extremely sorry,i must admitt i am wrong,sorry if i offended anyone,my attitude tends to act up,im told that im extremely stuburn and well,now i can see it,so,wut do u guys think is better.the belt driving supercharger that goes on the bracket or the exhaust drivin turbo?
i have heard of the turbo's which go in the rear of the vehicle and replace the muffler with the turbo assembly,wut yall think of that...is there a turbo system out there that includes no electrical,or very little? thx all,and i sincerly appoligize for my stuburniss and thick headedniss

Old 01-10-2005, 11:43 PM
ACESN8S
Elder User
No offense taken, just trying to help you out.

I've seen that rear mount turbo set up, my verdict is still out on that set-up.
I live in an area that gets flooding from time to time, I would have a real bad feeling about having my duct work under my vehicle where it would be more succeptable to getting water in it. Murphy's Law would dictate that I'd end up with a motor being force fed water.

You can build a turbo motor without any electrical upgrades besides ignition.
You can go either a draw thru or a blow thru. A blow thru will require a pressure bonnet. Years ago, Gale Banks built a 1100hp twin turbo, streetable Trans Am. I think that there are still pics on his site. When he first built it, it used a draw thru setup.

Just remember, with a twin setup, if each turbo is putting out 7psi, then you are getting 7psi total. Just because there are two turbos, doesn't mean you are getting double the psi. You are getting double the flow (volume).

Patrick

Old 01-11-2005, 11:59 AM
novadragman2005
Senior User
anything can be done with the right amount of time or money, a turbo set up will make more power then a supercharger set up

Quick Reply: Turbo???