Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Great, now the dash is rattling...!!??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Question Great, now the dash is rattling...!!??

Hi guys, new Question/Problem for today…. I have a 97 and my dash seems to be rattling/creaking. I tried to re-tighten the bolts on the top of the dash, in an attempt to snug everything up. No results. Has anyone also experienced this problem, and found a solution? It’s not really loud, but it does creak when I go over bumps. It is distinctly the passenger side that is having the problem…. The dash is in great condition and no cracks near the mounting holes. Are there other bolts that need tightining? or is there another solution?….Thanks!!

Old 01-05-2005, 07:35 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
yeah.....i think the previous owner of my truck pulled the dash to wire it for a CB....now when i cruise, the passenger side of the dash is shakin like a madman. i don't wanna pull it off to try and fix it cause i am afraid i will probably break something and it will end up worse than i started...so, i'll live with people riding saying "dude, your dash is vibrating lik crazy"

Old 01-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by RedStroker6
yeah.....i think the previous owner of my truck pulled the dash to wire it for a CB....now when i cruise, the passenger side of the dash is shakin like a madman. i don't wanna pull it off to try and fix it cause i am afraid i will probably break something and it will end up worse than i started...so, i'll live with people riding saying "dude, your dash is vibrating lik crazy"
Haha thanks for responding, this post was about to go off the edge of the world!! Mine hasn't been taken apart, but it does rattle, it's not too bad, hard to notice w/ the radio blastin' Classic rock and the sweet sound of the new dual exhuast!!! But it does get on my nerves if a chevy or dodge guy gets in my truck and says, "hey nice craftsmanship on the dash" (this is usually when i kick them out of my truck).....

Old 01-05-2005, 08:16 PM
F0rdF0rever
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Rob, sorry to hear about your dash noise. I know how you feel. My dash started squeaking a few months ago and it drives me crazy. It only does it when I hit bumps in the road. Ive taken the WHOLE dash apart twice to try and find it but had no luck. Ive had some else drive my truck while I tried to pin point it exactly. Now its much to cold out to start removing parts again. Guess ill have to deal with it till the spring..

Steve

Old 01-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by F0rdF0rever
Hey Rob, sorry to hear about your dash noise. I know how you feel. My dash started squeaking a few months ago and it drives me crazy. It only does it when I hit bumps in the road. Ive taken the WHOLE dash apart twice to try and find it but had no luck. Ive had some else drive my truck while I tried to pin point it exactly. Now its much to cold out to start removing parts again. Guess ill have to deal with it till the spring..

Steve
Thanks. Yea i wanted to take mine apart, but it is getting colder here in mass ain't it? The thing that tickes me off the most if my girlfriend has a 96 F-250 4*2, with 175K w/ no squeeking or ratteling, and mine only had 58K and is rattaling already!!! oh well, at least mine is louder than hers w/ the new dual exhuast!!

Old 01-05-2005, 08:48 PM
wingit1x
Senior User
Seems I develop a new rattle every month this winter. The roads here are rough and the cold doesn't help. I did figure out three of them, though. Looks like we have the same side mirrors, Robb. Sometimes the buzzing I hear is actually one of the mirrors (and they alternate sides) vibrating a little. If I'm outside the truck I can put my hand on the mirror and it'll stop. That's two of them. The third has to do with something in the passenger side door. If the window is rolled up tight, there is a rattle sometimes. All I have to do is hit the down button just enough to relieve some pressure, and the rattle will stop. But then there are some more that are buried deep in the dash that I'm sure I'll never figure out. So, when I get really annoyed, I crank up the Sirius satellite radio and make the whole truck rattle.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by wingit1x
So, when I get really annoyed, I crank up the Sirius satellite radio and make the whole truck rattle.
Haha!! good call my good friend!!! Unfortunately I haven't sprung the extra couple of bucks a month for XM or Sirius, But blasting some tunes like Boston and Van Halen work just as well through the speakers!! i'm goning to have to check out the mirrors, it could posibly be them, allong w/ the window, i never tried that!! going to give it a shot in the mourning!!! thanks!!!!

Old 01-05-2005, 11:01 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
hehe, try crankin up 2 Kicker 10 Subs pushed by 800 watts in a regular cab....that makes EVERYTHING rattle even worse than before...including me and whatever poor soul gets to ride with me....but hey, small price to pay eh? oh yeah, the subs didn't start the dash shakin, i just got them a couple weeks ago, so i can't blame them

Old 01-05-2005, 11:05 PM
realhp
Senior User
My dad has the same truck as you Rob and he had a rattle in the passenger side that ended up being the door panel making noise so I pulled off the panel and put some rubber grommets between the panel and the door where the screws go through the door panel. That seemed to isolate the plastic from rubbing on the metal which made a squeaking noise.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:30 PM
mtncrawler
Senior User
I wonder if some of that silicone spray used for cleaning vinyl might be helpful in locating the source of the squeek.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:20 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Thanks guys!! Since i have the day off work, I'm going to give all this a shot, and if all else fails, rip the dash off!! thanks again

-Robb, Let it snow!!!

Old 01-06-2005, 08:10 AM
The Grinch
Senior User
Not to ask the obvious, but what about the glove box? I have a 95 that the GB loosens occasionally.

Old 01-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by The Grinch
Not to ask the obvious, but what about the glove box? I have a 95 that the GB loosens occasionally.
thanks, Yea i checked that also, The sound is deffinately coming from the top of the dash on the passanger side. I actually thought it may have been the glove box, so i took it off and went for a ride, still made the sound.... Thanks for the idea tho!!

-Robb

Old 01-06-2005, 11:07 AM
TxTrucker
Freshman User
Robbgt

I have a 96' that had the same problem. Turned out it was the area where the defrost vents meet the dash. When you have a chance, put your fingers down through the slots in the dash & apply pressure to the vent inside & see if that stops the problem. It took months for me to figure mine out. I just squeezed some rubber strips between the vent & the dash & that took care of mine. I hope this helps!

Old 01-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Hey thanks TX, I'll Give that a shot!! yea thats actually probably what it is too.... I dodn't even think of that.... thanks again!!

-Robb