1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Interior Components

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 11:04 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Components

I am looking to replace all my interior in the next month or so. The seat being the first part. Anyone have suggestions on where to purchase the pieces from. I have used Sac Vintage in the past with good experiences. Also how do the prices from these companies compare to a local shop. I would like to hear good and bad. So I also know who to stay away from.

Old 01-03-2005, 03:47 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you checked out the interior kits that Rod Doors sells.

Old 01-03-2005, 06:21 AM
54 gene
Senior User
I got all of mine at Midfifty and everything fit.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
I have looked a few and the prices are pretty high. I think I am going to go with the stock cardboard setup.

Originally Posted by 51ford fan
Have you checked out the interior kits that Rod Doors sells.

Old 01-03-2005, 03:27 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Christopher

If you go the hardboard route, add some extra fasteners. I hate the stock style stuff as it tries to crawl off the truck in the humidty. The kicks don't fit well at all. Especially the little bump near the cab mount and the wheelwell curve. As a less expensive and higher quality alternative, you might consider using tempered hardboard. At least for the doors and kicks. You can trim, sand, or fiberglass in little mods for a much better fit than cardboard. A pattern is easily made and will ensure a nice fit. Wish I had done it this way in the first place. Does take a little more time but it isn't difficult.

Old 01-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Sac Vintage Ford sells Rod Doors for the same price as Rod Doors will sell directly to you. Unless you can find RD at a car show. They gave me 15% if I ordered at the show! I spent about $800 on my interior not counting the seat and the carpet. And I have heard that RD now has a much improved headliner piece. John

Old 01-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
I have the tools to do the woodwork that is not a problem. A jigsaw and a dremel should make it pretty easy. When you say tempered do you mean oil tempered ? I might have to take a look at what is available at Menards. My biggest concern is finding something that will bend around the back of the cab. I am not 100% sure it will not split at the back where the bend is and eventually crease. Maybe a thin plywood could be used?

Originally Posted by fatfenders
Christopher

If you go the hardboard route, add some extra fasteners. I hate the stock style stuff as it tries to crawl off the truck in the humidty. The kicks don't fit well at all. Especially the little bump near the cab mount and the wheelwell curve. As a less expensive and higher quality alternative, you might consider using tempered hardboard. At least for the doors and kicks. You can trim, sand, or fiberglass in little mods for a much better fit than cardboard. A pattern is easily made and will ensure a nice fit. Wish I had done it this way in the first place. Does take a little more time but it isn't difficult.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:26 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Tempered Hardboard

What is the thickness of the hardboard, and who carries the stuff. Is there any trick in forming it to the rounded corners in the back of the cab.
If you walk into the major hardware stores around here and asked for tempered hardboard they would look at you like you were from Mars.

Old 01-03-2005, 11:06 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
If you can be patient for a couple days, I'll post PICs. It came out very nice, and was inexpensive. Fits much better than cardboard. It was also time consuming to get a perfect fit. Rod doors stuff is too flimsy for a performance audio install so I had no choice.

Lumber yard has hardboard. You should be able to get 1/8 or 1/4 depending on what you are using it for. Get TEMPERED, or it will warp like cardboard. You aren't going to bend a one piece rear cab wall that fits correctly. Believe me I tried. I'll explain what I did soon.

Old 01-03-2005, 11:18 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Smile

I didn't know if I can be patient that long but I will try. Thanks for the information, I now see the light at the end of the tunnel on this project once again.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:06 AM
55Bubba
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NAtional Parts Depot has some very good prices on stuff for our trucks and I have as yet to be told something was out of stock. Everything I've ordered has fit like a glove. They are only 45 m inutes from me so i can save shipping. Dennis carpenter's stuff fits well also but is more expensive. Those are two choices if yo live on the east coast.

Bubba

Old 01-04-2005, 07:07 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
I can definitly wait I am in the planning stage. I need to get seat belts first. And interior samples for the seat and carpet are on the way. I have not experimented with hardboard but I think it is the material used for pegboard. The cardboard is still around gas tank in the cab so I have a good template for that part. With the hardboard did you try to cut several shallow grooves in the back to allow the board to fit around the corner? That is what I have done with wood in the past to make corners. It works with sheetrock also you just have to make sure not to cut the paper.

Originally Posted by fatfenders
If you can be patient for a couple days, I'll post PICs. It came out very nice, and was inexpensive. Fits much better than cardboard. It was also time consuming to get a perfect fit. Rod doors stuff is too flimsy for a performance audio install so I had no choice.

Lumber yard has hardboard. You should be able to get 1/8 or 1/4 depending on what you are using it for. Get TEMPERED, or it will warp like cardboard. You aren't going to bend a one piece rear cab wall that fits correctly. Believe me I tried. I'll explain what I did soon.