Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 06:58 AM
SVTBronco
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 5.0 roller swap issues?

Hi,

I am new to this site and like it already. Great layout

This winter I am planning an engine swap in my 1972 Bronco. Going to a 89 5.0 H.O.

My question is can I get a flywheel that will match the balance of this motor and still allow me to use the 11" truck clutch?

If so where could I find such and item?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

Old 12-31-2004, 12:47 PM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can use a flywheel from a '85 and later truck 302. It will have the proper imbalance for the 5.0 and allow you to use the larger 11" clutch.
They are available through the aftermarket from most any parts store.
Welcome to the FTE.

Jason

Last edited by RCrawler; 12-31-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:39 PM
SVTBronco
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awsome!

Thanks Jason. That was the answer I was hoping for. I have a fresh C-force II I was hoping to re-use.

Another question just hit me. What do I do for a Harmonic balancer???

My plan is to use a carb and the V-belts up front. Are the balancers different in weight or just the pulley design?

Sorry that was 2 questions...

Cost is a big issue for me, (I am trying to defer as many external projects as possible until funds are available) and not having a dist. or computer I will be using existing externals for now...

Old 12-31-2004, 10:14 PM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, the balancers are different as well (different imbalance, and 3 and 4 bolt pattern). The best option that I have found to keep the V belts is to have an original 3 bolt damper rebalanced to the late model imbalance.
I bought one from Damper Dudes in Anderson, Ca (530)365-2144. I paid about $80 for a rebuilt early damper with the late model balance. Very good quality.

You may run into a problem trying to use your clutch with the late model flywheel. I ended up having to buy a late model pressure plate because the bolt patterns were different. I've only heard of this a couple of times though.
You can also have your original flywheel rebalanced to the late model imbalance. All of the machine shops that I inquired wanted to balance the complete rotating assembly, and wouldn't do just the flywheel.

Jason