Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Excursion front hubs won't lock in.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 12:57 PM
MIV10
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah i need to find out if it works on my 2000 excursion. Also if i replace them withthe manual ones, what happens to the automatic 4X4 does that mean i would have to get out and twist the manuals everytime I want to switch from 4X4 on and off.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Bananarama
Tuned
yes it does mean you will have to get out, get wet or muddy, and turn your hubs. the automatic shift on the fly will only engage your transfer case. why did your hubs fail? what failed in them? I am a pro at failed hubs.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:07 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
...as well... mine have never worked using the "auto" and vacuum method...

Since the first times I remember trying it that way anyway... and keep in mind, that was years ago. I'm just used to getting out and turning them when I'm in an area of possible 4X need.

Instead of figuring out 'why' they didn't work, I want to replace my stockers with Warn... and that's why I posted the other info request in this thread, with a picture of my stocker. ...I feel better when it's 'positive' locked instead of relying on the vacuum lines, and the "auto" hub.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:12 PM
MIV10
New User
my hubs were working fine till the other day when i discovered one missing. It came off while i was driving. I have aftermarket wheels and it took the center cap with it as well.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:14 PM
MIV10
New User
Johnny i'd buy your hubs if you want to go aftermarket.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:15 AM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
Originally Posted by MIV10
Johnny i'd buy your hubs if you want to go aftermarket.
Really? One of 'em is brand new, in the bag. And one in perfect working order.... and I've got a third that's "had it" but still works. Hence the new one in the bag... to replace it. ....what'cha thinking??? $$$$?

John

Old 07-22-2005, 12:39 PM
RTM
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I can't un lock my hubs. I may just buy the warn units and install them. I 'm sure if i clean mine then something else will go wrong with them this winter. The sad part is I bought the Ex with the hubs stuck in the lock position. I never noticed it and I should have because some one has tried to turn one of them and in doing so they broke a small piece of the plastic off.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:23 PM
bluerage
Junior User
I have the warns (see earlier reply) no problems.............

Old 07-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Downsized2X
Diesel User
I rechecked mine, I haven't exercised them in a while. Would you believe it, they won't move. Now I'm driving around with a can of WD-40 in my cup holder so I'll remember to spray them frequently and hopefully they break free. It doesn't make any sense that a feature that is for emergencies isn't dependable.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Downsized2X
Diesel User
Cover locking hubs with rear caps?

Well, good news for me. While at the dealer for leftover warranty issue, I mentioned that my hubs wouldn't move. At only 11 months old, my warranty had just ended (36K), I'm now at 38K, but they put on new hubs anyway. I want to keep the automatic feature so I really want to keep the original hubs. I had this idea and finally had a chance to check it out. The rear center caps fit over the front hubs, at least they did on my Limited (Limited caps). My hubs did not survive 1 winter because they are exposed to the road salt and weather. I am going to purchase 2 more Limited rear caps to put on the front. I may even add a piece of foam behind it that I can lightly saturate with oil to protect the locking hub. I will still "exercise" them so that I can keep an eye on them.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:52 AM
alamercman
New User
front hubs not locking.

Had the same problem some time back. The hose was off the left fitting due to
rust. Replace the fitting and found that the valve on the passenger side was not
closing. It sits right in front off the vacuum pump. Oh, this is on a diesal x. Vacuum is supplied by an electric pump (passenger side). I was able to take the
pump apart and clean it. Then I bought a new one. When this problem was happening I noticed also the a/c vents went crazy.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:25 PM
JohnnyAirtime
Tuned
I since have traded in my '00 Exco with hub issues (for an '05 Exco)... never bought Warn, and now have a spare hub on my workbench... Anyone wanna take it off my hands? ($$).

Old 10-25-2005, 10:09 PM
JoeKan
Senior User
Well this is all news to me with the front hubs having to be turned for the 4x. I have a 00 excur. and I must have traveled all last winter thinking my 4x4 is working. I would hit the switch and the dash, and my light would indicate I have 4x4.
So, how do you know if your 4x4 is working or not?
Thank you for the help,
Joe

Old 10-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Xcrazy
New User
My 2000 X will go into 4 wheel drive by simply turning the dash switch. No need to get out and turn the hubs according to my owners manual. One way to tell if the 4 wheel drive is engaged is by turning the vehicle at low speed. You can typically feel the front wheels "scrubbing" in the turn.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Downsized2X
Diesel User
Try manually turning your hubs

The hubs "not turning" is referring to the actual hubs. You turn them if your vacuum system does not work properly, it's a back up. When mine were seized, I could still engage my 4WD (auto hubs) via the vacuum system. Try turning your hubs from outside, if you don't exercise them often, they seize.

Quick Reply: 2000 Excursion front hubs won't lock in.