Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Excursion front hubs won't lock in.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 08:44 AM
bluerage
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I had the same problem with my 2002 Diesel-X... we got hit with a blizzard and I got stuck in 12 inches of snow with a 8K lb truck and plow...the hubs wouldn't turn...dealer wanted a few hundred dollars parts&labor My friend swapped the ford hubs with a set of warn premiums....work great big $ savings...15 minutes of work... they don't look too bad, nice brass color, but they don't stick out as far as stock...

Old 02-25-2005, 10:13 PM
MikeRizz
Senior User
I am having the same problem. My 4WD does work however. I was just trying to turn them manually ( after reading you should do this once and a while ) and they will not budge ! I will call the dealer Monday ( still under warranty ).

Old 02-26-2005, 06:21 PM
bluerage
Junior User
if it's under warranty, let them fix it...mine was long out.

Old 03-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Bananarama
Tuned
Angry Man I Have The Same Problem!!

Hey has anyone had a similar problem? I have a 2000 ford excursion limited, and last night it was snowing here so I went to engage it by turning the lever. The 4x4 lit up on the dash but the rear wheels just spun. What an awful drive home. They finnally locked in when I pulled into a parking lot. I drove home. in the drive way I dis engaged it and re engaged it to have the same issue. Today, it worked fine as I drove it to the dealer. ON sat I used the 4x4 to get out of the drive way, no problem. When I got out I turned the 4x4 off and drove on the clean pavement. When I got to the mall, and turned into the parking spot, i felt some cluncking in the steering wheel. I engaged and dis engaged the 4x4 and tried it again, problem was solved. Is this going to be a sign of things to come with this excursion or?? THe original owner had replaced the hubs a a year and a half ago for the same problem, being there was no 4 wheel drive. I only have 74,000 miles on it, its got the v-10 and I love the truck and have had it for a year of trouble free driving. I only use the 4x4 in the snow....These hubs do have the auto and lock positions, but I bought a truck with the auto option so I did not have to get out of the truck and "turn" the hubs. HELP!! any help would be greatly appreciated!

DAVE..

Old 03-01-2005, 01:09 PM
rozett
Senior User
bucking... if you use search, you will find numerous threads on the automatic hubs. This is a common problem. When you switch to 4x4, an electric motor engages the transfer case and a vacuum switch engages the hubs. When the hubs don't engage, it is either a vacuum problem or dirt/dust has increased the friction in the mechanism. Do the search and read the details.

Oh, welcome the FTE.

Old 03-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Bananarama
Tuned
Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone. Not to sound like a complete moron, I do have some mechanical ablity, but how do you squirt the wd-40 into the hub to clean it out? See mine wants to lock in, the shaft turns but the hubs wont lock in every time. last week when I used the 4x4 i went over to the mall after pullin it out of 4x4 after getting out of the drive way and while pulling in to the parking space I felt a knocking in the steering wheel, telling me the hubs were kind of grabbing. I put it in 4x4 again and out again and tried pulling into another with no issue. That has happend about 4 times this month. Its at the dealer ship right now, I only have 800 miles left on the extended warranty. The Waranty co, GE capital declined my claim on DEC 1st when I could not get the hubs to lock in, they also declined to replace the right lower and upper ball joints..but now Im told it wont pass state inspection. I called the dealer and the wonderful GE capital warranty co is sending yet another moron inspector out to look at the hubs and the ball joint. I know he is going to decline replacement of the hubs I just can feel it in my gut. The dealer had to turn the hubs with a pair of pliars. The Service advisor said there was a definate failure but weather the morons behind the desk at GE think 4wheel drive is important in a blizzard or not is another question. Does anyone know what recourse I have with GE if they also deny me? would love to know how to clean these hubs out too...

Old 03-01-2005, 09:34 PM
rozett
Senior User
If the dealer had to turn the **** with pliers, then the vacuum will never switch in the hubs. I would spray the center strip on the lock/unlock **** with WD-40. It will be absorbed, so spray it some more. Then turn the **** back and forth a number of times and then spray it some more. The know should turn with little effort.

While you're at it, turn the wheel all the way to one side. Stick your head back behind the wheel and check the vacuum line into the casting to make sure that it is connected and not split.

If that doesn't work, then have the dealer get GE to pay for replacing the hub seal (o-ring).

Old 03-02-2005, 07:53 AM
Bananarama
Tuned
We will see what they come up with later today!!

Old 03-02-2005, 08:21 AM
bluerage
Junior User
Wink

It happened to me, and the best solution is replace the hubs with an after market set, I got the warn premiums. it's the cheapest and fastest (I also think the best) fix. UNLESS your truck is still under warranty. Ford Dealer $70 hr rate (told me about 2 hrs labor) + parts (about $400) go to a 4x4 shop ,10-15 minute fix ($150).

Old 03-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Caniac10
Junior User
After you replaced the hubs with the Warn product, does the factory hub/lug nut cover fit over the new hub?

Old 03-02-2005, 04:42 PM
X 03 Jeff
Junior User
Lightbulb

I posted this in another thread, but it sounds like it may apply hear as well. hope it helps

The info I have is for [ 1999 to 2004 F superduty and 2000 to 2004 excursion.

Issue : some 4x4 vehicals may exhbit a hub not engaging, not staying engaged and/or unlocking.
This is due to hub lock damage caused by contact between the front axle shaft and the inside of the hub lock assembly.

service procedure <
1. remove hub lock assembly
2. insert clean rag into wheel hub cavity, to protect it from contamination.
3. drill out axle shaft pilot hole to 16mm[5/8] diameter and 2mm[0.08] deep, the axle shaft does not need to be removed from wheel-end assembly to do this.
NOTE:
opening the shaft pilot hole diameter will provide clearance to the metal tabs, located inside the hub lock, during engagement cycling.
4. remove all contaminates from hub cavity and reassemble.

I hope this helps, but it is always a good idea to activate all 4x4 componates at least once a month, need it or not.

Jeff

Old 03-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Bananarama
Tuned
Hubs

Well ya damn skippy. GE Capital warranty FINNALLY agreed to cover my hubs. After arguing with a guy who told me that I had manual hubs and been using the 4x4 wrong, I was right. DUH...my hubs are automatic like I new and when the dealer took them apart to show the adjuster who said to service them, they fell apart. Parts failed. THank god, I will now have 4x4 that I can count on. Jeff is that a service bulletin???

Old 03-02-2005, 06:13 PM
bluerage
Junior User
the factory hub/lug cover fits, the hubs do not extend all they way through the hole, the warns are about 1/4 inch shorter than factory... if you are going to make the swap and are uncertain due to the length, email me and I will send you pictures...

Old 03-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Bananarama
Tuned
Blue, those dont work with the auto feature do they?

Old 03-02-2005, 10:46 PM
X 03 Jeff
Junior User
Hello Bananarama, yes , what I wrote was from a srevice bulletin.
Im curious, what truck do have?, and does it have lock out hubs as well as auto,?
Jeff

Quick Reply: 2000 Excursion front hubs won't lock in.