Remote Wire location help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 12:03 AM
biggmoney
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Wire location help

Hi,

I have a 2002 Explorer. I am installing a amp and subwoofers. I can't afford a new radio yet, so I am installing this to the stock cd player.

I have 2 questions.

1. I ran the remote wire to the fuse box to the radio fuse, thinking the amp would come on when the radio did. I was wrong, the radio fuse has 24 hour power, so the amp was on 24/7. My explorer does not have power antenna. So does anyone know where I can run this remote too, so that my amp will come on with the radio or when the vehicle is on?

2. Being the stock radio doesn't have rca's, I need to run a convertor. I was going to do this by splicing into the rear door speaker. I have not found a way to get to those wires. I could by going through the rubber protection, but don't know the right wires I would need to splice into. Does anyone know the wires, or how to get to the rear door speaker?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:25 PM
mzimmers
Elder User
Originally Posted by biggmoney
Hi,

I have a 2002 Explorer. I am installing a amp and subwoofers. I can't afford a new radio yet, so I am installing this to the stock cd player.

I have 2 questions.

1. I ran the remote wire to the fuse box to the radio fuse, thinking the amp would come on when the radio did. I was wrong, the radio fuse has 24 hour power, so the amp was on 24/7. My explorer does not have power antenna. So does anyone know where I can run this remote too, so that my amp will come on with the radio or when the vehicle is on?
I'm not familiar with Explorer wiring, but if you have a solid red or black wire coming into the HU, there's a good chance that that's ignition power. It might be easier to pick up ignition power from under the dash near the steering column, rather than getting it near the HU.

2. Being the stock radio doesn't have rca's, I need to run a convertor. I was going to do this by splicing into the rear door speaker. I have not found a way to get to those wires. I could by going through the rubber protection, but don't know the right wires I would need to splice into. Does anyone know the wires, or how to get to the rear door speaker?

Any help is appreciated.
That's kind of a problematic way to go. First off, have you bought your equipment yet? You'll need an amp that accepts speaker-level inputs. Also, you're going to be giving the amp a pretty low signal unless you want to give that rear speaker a ton of power, making it inordinately louder than the other speakers. Third, all the splicing and stuff, combined with the lower input power to the amp is likely to make the sub signal pretty lossy and/or distorted.

If you haven't bought your equipment yet, I'd recommend getting a decent HU from eBay. You can pare back on your subs and/or amp for the money. One sub is really all you need anyway, IMO. The setup you're contemplating isn't likely to thrill you...

Old 12-29-2004, 12:48 PM
biggmoney
New User
Hi mzimmers,

I had the amp and subs from a previous vehicle we traded in to get the explorer.

I got the rca's figured out, just need to try to do the remote lead now.
My HU doesn't have plain ol'e wiring, red/black etc.
Wish it did lol.

I just might have to wait till I can afford a new HU to be able to finish installation.
Which might take forever lol.
I am wanting a Alpine IVA-D300 7" Wide DVD/MP3 Receiver.

Guess need to check eBay for that.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Smaug
Posting Guru
check installdr.com They might have the info you need.

Old 12-29-2004, 01:09 PM
biggmoney
New User
Smaug,

I checked installdr yesterday, they didnt really have what I needed for the remote lead.

But thank you.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:26 PM
Andyman8282
Senior User
Sounds like a pain in the butt, just go with a switch to turn your subs on and off Finding a place for a remote wire in your fuse box is unneccesary, simply get a switch from a local parts store and hook it up to your battery while you save up for enough $ to get a new HU. The switch would run pos coming from your battery, negative going to a ground somewhere (a bolt probably) and ACC to your remote slot in your amp. Just a suggestion, I hear ya when it comes to being strapped for cash.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:02 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Black/Yellow is switched power, This wire comes from the fuse panel. Look on the back for it and use a volt meter or test lamp to make sure you got the right one.