Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuse Block Heater

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 12:00 PM
wls
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuse Block Heater

I plugged my block heater in this morning, and it did'nt work, no sparking sound when I plugged in, and could'nt hear anything sizzling. Is there a fuse that could have blown, its a 95 f-350 dually, no operators manuel. Any ideas as to what could be wrong with it, I have juice to the plug in. Thanks

Old 12-25-2004, 12:43 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is no fuse, it's just a heating element like what's in a water heater. If there is a short in the cord the end of your extension cord will get really hot. If the cord appears to be in good shape you probably need to replace the element.

Not being able to hear it does not neccessarily mean it isn't working, it takes at least a couple of hours for it to heat it up.

Old 12-25-2004, 11:31 PM
powerglyd
Junior User
First make sure that you have voltage on your ext cord. If you do, put a clamp on ampmeter on either the white or black lead of the cord. You should have around 11 amps, if not your heater is probably bad.

Old 12-26-2004, 08:07 AM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
If you use your block heater a lot, and/or the end dangles in the breeze on the front of the truck, eventually the wires will break inside the cord right at the plug end. So check that before you go popping the heater element out of the block. New cords are reasonably cheap, or you can repair the existing one in some watertight fashion, or you could take this opportunity to drill a big hole in your bumper and install one of those cool receptacles with the flip up lid.

Duncan