Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Performance Chips

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 09:52 PM
johnroung
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Performance Chips

Recently acquired my first Big truck. Heard that a performance chip can improve both mileage and horsepower. Looking at the Quadzilla Stealth and the Bully dog and edge products but am confused over which really perform and also whether changes to exhaust system are required. I don't have a heavy payload--less than 4,000 lbs with trailer. Not much of a mechanic so i need something relatively straightforward to instal. Any advice???

Old 12-24-2004, 10:10 PM
wildbill1963
A programmer is what you need. Look for the Diablo Predator or Edge as the 2 best out there. I am not sure about the Quadzilla.

As for exhaust, all you need is to upgrade the muffler to a more free flow type. The Walker 21470 is a good cheap option.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:25 PM
psdpower
Elder User
Do the foundation first, intake , exhaust, and gauges. You will be happier with your truck if you do these first then a chip or programmer. Gauges are mandatory if you are going to tow with a modified truck, even if it is a small load. You need at least an EGT ( exhaust gas temp ) gauge to be safe towing with a chip or programmer. A boost gauge and a trans temp gauge ( if your truck is an auto ) are a good idea too. As far as intakes, I like the Tymar, www.tymarperformance.com , but there are many other options. The same with exhaust, I built my own 4" turbo back system, but there are many options in a very large price range.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:57 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
i second getting the gauges intake and exaust. altering the programming can heat things up real quick even empty. i would go with the tymar intake and downpipe he has great stuff at good prices i like the edge programmer if your looking that route and the ts chips if your going to a chip. nice thing about the programmers is you can pull codes with it. but the chips you can switch on the fly like when theres a dodge you gotta smoke.....

Old 12-25-2004, 06:45 AM
johnroung
New User
Performance chips/exhaust

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like they came from guys with experience.

Old 12-25-2004, 07:47 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by johnroung
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like they came from guys with experience.
Welcome to the only family Ford Truck site, on the net. As you can see the members in this forum are very knowledgeable about these trucks; they will eagerly help you…with your question.
To insure a better understanding of how FTE operates, please read the guidelines, and the READ FIRST notes in each forum you choose to visit. I'm sure you'll find plenty of reading and information to surf though.
Enjoy FTE and Happy Holidays

Old 12-25-2004, 09:29 AM
wildbill1963
Recently acquired my first Big truck. Heard that a performance chip can improve both mileage and horsepower. Looking at the Quadzilla Stealth and the Bully dog and edge products but am confused over which really perform and also whether changes to exhaust system are required. I don't have a heavy payload--less than 4,000 lbs with trailer. Not much of a mechanic so i need something relatively straightforward to instal. Any advice???
Let me add to my original post a few things.

Once you start adding a chip or programmer, you really to conisder several things:

Gauges are an atmost priority. Drive by the gauges, and not your gut feel. You need an EGT (Pyrometer), pre-turbo to watch for engine Cyl heat. A tran temp gauge (for Auto only), and a Boost gauge (Optional) to monitor turbo boost. Also, think of a place where you want to mount them. Several options are available. I am using the Pillar 3-gauge mount.

If you an Auto tranny, a tranny kit known as the Sonnax Valve/Tricumulator Springs, helps firm the shifts and prolong life of the clutches.

If you are planning on running Boost (Typically most Chips/Programmers do) higher than the limited stock of 17 lbs and over the 24 lb mark, you need to fool the MAP sensor. You can use a boost relief valve to fix that problem.

This is a great site. Of all the sites I go to, its the most friendly, and well educated.

Old 12-25-2004, 02:25 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just so we are all on the same page, and out of curiosity, what year is your truck, and what are the specks of it??? then we can realy tell you what your can do for mods.

Diesel Rod

Old 12-25-2004, 07:28 PM
johnroung
New User
specs-- Ford Truck-- Performance chip

ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 2001 model year- automatic--- about all info I have