Sponsored by: DP Tuner

front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 01:24 AM
dead-end stop
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question front end noise

this is my first post so bare with me. i have recently acquired a 2002 f-350 super-duty lariat that has about a 4" lift on it. i decided that when i bought it i would take it down to the the local lube shop and have all the fluids dumped and replaced, for the simple fact that it was used and had 50,000 plus miles on it. not even 10 minutes down the road after having the service performed the front end started clicking as if it were a front wheel drive vehicle with a bad CV joint. it does get worse when i turn and i don't hear the noise when i flip the switch to two wheel drive. this all happened about three days ago. i have a hunch that it is the auto locking hubs but it seems a bit coincedental that it started being problematic right after having all the different resivoires dumped and refilled. anyone have a clue as to what it might be and what should i do to fix it?

Old 12-24-2004, 09:01 AM
The Grinch
Senior User
Was the 4WD on, and/or were the hubs locked or not? What was the truck setup when the clicking started? Was a friction modifier added to the diff. fluids if the rear diff oil was changed?

Old 01-04-2005, 02:06 AM
dead-end stop
New User
Lightbulb

the 4wd was on. and they are auto locking hubs so i had them in auto. no friction modifier added. i believe it is my front U joints where it conects to my transfer case. there are 3 of them all together and there seems to be a lot of play when truck is not running and is in 2wd. when it is in 2wd i can shake the front drive shaft and get quite a bit of movement from it. it seems as if when in 4wd the noise travels through the drive shaft and can really be heard up front but you can feel a "clunking" throught the floor boards. regardless the U joints need to be changed, right? they shouldn't have any play in them, is what i've been told.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:42 AM
The Grinch
Senior User
Yes, sounds like that may be the problem...

Old 01-07-2005, 08:39 PM
dead-end stop
New User
thanks for you help.