1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Tansmission Problems,,,NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 12:07 AM
atreyu503
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tansmission Problems,,,NEED HELP

whats up guys, i own a 2002 ranger edge 2wd 3.0. i have 32 inch mud terrains and stock gearing of 3.73 with a 7.5 rear end. i just starting having problems with my tranny. within the first like ten feet when i take off normally the tranny has a little bump in it. i know that dosnt specify the problem but that the only way i cn explain it. i guess like it dose not go into gear all the way until i get going a little. it dose not seem to do it when i take off fast, but it dose have a winding noise and feels like it is slipping when i take off fast. it dose not seem to do either of these things when i first take off in my truck when it is cold. i just changed the oil, just in the pan not the whole thing, thinking it woud solve the problem but it didnt. it dose shift a lot smoother but still has the bump and winding noise. if anyone is knowledgable with trannys please help. and if you need more details please ask. i am afraid to take it to the dealer for warranty because of the larger tires and stock gearing. and help will be appreciated. Thank you

Old 12-22-2004, 09:14 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
WELCOME to the site, please read the Guidelines… Check out the list of forums and make sure you read the headings and Read First: notices in each forum. The members in this forum are very knowledgeable about these trucks, they will be by..... and help you with your question.

Good luck with your problems.

Enjoy FTE

Old 12-22-2004, 01:06 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
the bump you have sounds like the slipyoke on the driveshaft needs to be greased again.
is the tranny auto or manual.

Old 12-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These's a link or two on the slipyoke/thump/clunk topic in the tech info thread at the top of this forum.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:25 PM
atreyu503
New User
its an automatic tranny, where exactly is the slipyoke

Old 12-22-2004, 11:48 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
it is the point on the driveshaft that slides in and out with the rear end going up and down. it is usually on either end of the driveshaft near the knuckles. im not familiar with the newer trucks but check near the end that hooks to the differential. make sure you mark the driveshaft before you take it off so you know how it goes back on.
check out the links that ken was referring to in the tech info thread at the top of the forum for reference.

Old 12-23-2004, 01:54 AM
atreyu503
New User
i read the tech info at the top of the page. i went into the link about the problem i seem to be having and it says that the procedure of re-lubriacating the yoke will only sole the problem for a 4x4 with steel axle. am i reading it wrong or is it false info. i am asking cause i have a 02 edge 2wd. will this work for me, or should i take it to get checked out.

Old 12-23-2004, 03:30 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
it will work for you too. did you find the slip yoke yet? it may not be exactly like the diagram.

Old 12-23-2004, 03:51 PM
atreyu503
New User
i have not looked for it yet, i am goig under there in a bit to change my fuel filter. when i get time to do it what kind of grease do i need to get. it showed part number in the link for what kind of grease, but it did not say what exactly it was. i work at Kragen so if you guys could let me know what brand and type i can use that you buy from a parts store. thanks

Old 12-23-2004, 04:15 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
its called molykote and you can only get it from ford.

Old 12-27-2004, 03:32 AM
atreyu503
New User
well when i went under my truck to change my fuel filter i did not nee anything that looks like a slipyoke. there is no boot on either end of the axle. and it dose not look as if either end would slip out of anything. if anyone here had an 02 edge 2wd, and has done this, can you please shed some light on where i need to be looking. one more thing kind of off this subject. i recently change my tranny filter. and every once in a while when i first get in when everything is cold, when i come to a stop and try to take off my truck comes out of gear for a couple of seconds and then slips back in. it just happend right now and ihave yet checked the level. i will check tomorrow in the light. if the level of the fluid is fine what else might it be>??? its an automatic tranny..

Old 12-27-2004, 04:05 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The slip yoke will be on the driveshaft, not the rear axle. Typically, on a supercab or long bed std cab, the slip yoke is on the rear section of the driveshaft; on standard cab with a short bed it's where the driveshaft engages with the tranny. However, from everything I've read it's the supercab and/or long beds that have tke driveline with the slip yoke that is of concern.

Old 12-27-2004, 02:21 PM
atreyu503
New User
sorry, i meant to say driveshaft. i dont see anything on either end. and i do have the supercab. i will try to get pics up tomorrow on my day off. and then you guys can help me better, cause i really doubt i can do it.

Old 12-28-2004, 02:29 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You mean that there is no black rubber boot in the rear section of the driveshaft that is pleated like an accordian and has two crimp clamps holding the boot in position? If needed, I'll go take a pic of mine and email it.

Old 12-28-2004, 02:44 PM
el conquistador
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by atreyu503
sorry, i meant to say driveshaft. i dont see anything on either end. and i do have the supercab. i will try to get pics up tomorrow on my day off. and then you guys can help me better, cause i really doubt i can do it.
it must be in the transmission like mine is.