1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Snow Chains

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 06:14 AM
Jim1995E150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Chains

I had a pretty harrowing experience the other night coming home in my 95 E150. A predicted "snow flurry" turned into any icy mess which threw all kinds of people off the road. Three times I got stuck on an incline, and only through a series of manuevers, was I able to finally get home. I hugged the gravel curb in one area, and on another two hills, slowly got partial traction on the rear drive wheel and "spun" up the hill, going at about a 30 degree angle (left to right) the whole way up. It finally paid off and I was able to pass several stuck SUV's and camaros, so I don't feel too bad. Having a full van of kids probably helped due to weight.

My question is, that for future emergencies when I get stuck in a similiar situation, do you all recommend chains? I usually am smart enough to stay home if bad weather is predicted, as I can't afford to get stuck with young kids in the car, but in a pinch do chains work pretty good? Any recommendations for type to buy or vendor? I'm told you put them under the wheel and drive up no them, then hook them over the wheel. Do you use them on all four wheels or just the back? The other night, I passed several spots where I could have stopped and safely installed them rather than putting them on while stuck on the side of the road.

Thanks for any advice. I checked the threads but couldnt' get any hits on chains in recent postings.

JE

Old 12-21-2004, 12:19 PM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim1995E150
I had a pretty harrowing experience the other night coming home in my 95 E150. A predicted "snow flurry" turned into any icy mess which threw all kinds of people off the road. Three times I got stuck on an incline, and only through a series of manuevers, was I able to finally get home. I hugged the gravel curb in one area, and on another two hills, slowly got partial traction on the rear drive wheel and "spun" up the hill, going at about a 30 degree angle (left to right) the whole way up. It finally paid off and I was able to pass several stuck SUV's and camaros, so I don't feel too bad. Having a full van of kids probably helped due to weight.

My question is, that for future emergencies when I get stuck in a similiar situation, do you all recommend chains? I usually am smart enough to stay home if bad weather is predicted, as I can't afford to get stuck with young kids in the car, but in a pinch do chains work pretty good? Any recommendations for type to buy or vendor? I'm told you put them under the wheel and drive up no them, then hook them over the wheel. Do you use them on all four wheels or just the back? The other night, I passed several spots where I could have stopped and safely installed them rather than putting them on while stuck on the side of the road.

Thanks for any advice. I checked the threads but couldnt' get any hits on chains in recent postings.

JE
Chains are awesome, they will work best if you can chain up all four tires of course. Cable chains are cheap, but some are so cheap that a few minutes on dry pavement will destroy them. Then they end up wrapped around your axle and that is a nightmare. Make sure your chains are compatible with radial tires, that probably sounds like a 'duh' type statement, but there are differences. Get the rubber rings that keep your chains tight, so they won't flop around. Vans are horrid in the snow, no question about it, chains will help, just keep your speed down, chains aren't meant for 60+ speeds. One word of advice, before it snows, practice putting your chains on a couple times, so you won't be trying it for the first time along side a busy highway, while freezing to death, trust me, Ken