Ethanol Fuels and more

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Eu07
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ethanol Fuels and more

I got this question for you guys. I got '04 Ranger, 3.0L. I was reading the manual for it and it says in it that you should not use fuels that contain any ethanol in them because they can damage emission component. Question is, is that just Ford's propaganda or is there some truth to it? Also to make stuff more interesting they mention simular stuff about higher octane fuels (greater than 87 octane). Supposedly they contain some metalic compounds that once again can damge your vehicles emmision components (specially true of higher octane fuel in Canada).

Any comments on that?

Thanks

Tom

Old 12-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I think the Manual says not to use fuels with Methanol, which is not the same thing as Ethanol. In fact, Ethanol is now the most widely used gasoline additive in the nation (10% in most states), and it's also a viable fuel in its own right. In fact, many Ford 3.0L engines are 'flex-fuel" capable meaning they can run on either Ethanol or regular gasoline, or a mixture of both.

I haven't heard of higher octane fuels that currently contain any metalic elements. Are you sure that's what the Manual says?

Old 12-21-2004, 08:35 AM
Eu07
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The metallic additives are there. I quate my manual:

"In Canada, premium grade fuels generally contains more metallic additives than regular fuels. We recommend using regular grade fuels. In Canada, many fuels contain metallic additives"

Also under the same topic its says

"Your vehicle was not designed to use fuel or fuel additives with metallic compunds, including manganese-base additives. Studies indicated that these additives can cause your vehicle's emission control system to deteriorate more rapidly"

and as to Ethanol Methanol. YOu are right, silly me I was thinking of too much beer (ethanol). Still it says

"Do not use fuel containing methanol. It can damage critical fuel system components."

Hopefuly this will make things more clear

Old 12-21-2004, 08:53 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I wonder if the manual is talking about lead as the being a "metalic additive"? Here in the States, lead is no longer used as an octane enhancer.