Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Cummins in the Ford

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 06:27 PM
Often Confused
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins in the Ford

Guys,

I am new to the site, so take it easy on me. My questions: Is ford going to offer the cummins diesel in the super duty, if so, When? Next question: Which would you prefer and why?? I have an 01 7.3 ford and have been happy with it. Will probably get a new truck next year and have heard of problems with the new PSD. Is the new cummins having similar problems?? Thanks for the info, guys.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:30 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
No, Ford is not going to offer the Cummins in their truck anytime soon. The current contract between Dodge and Cummins was extended to 2007 (from the Cummins website).

I'd take a new PSD over the Cummins any day. The PSD is designed for use in a light duty truck and has a much broader power band than the Cummins. I have been impressed with the quietness of the new Cummins engine though and if they ever come up with a 5-speed auto to go along with it Ford will have more competition. Until then, the PSD will remain on top. Last time I checked, Ford still sold more diesels than Dodge and GM combined.

Old 12-17-2004, 06:41 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
You can get the Cummins in the 650 & 750, why you get it though, when the Cat is offered.

I personally preffer the PSD - far wider powerband.
They did have some issues (especially the early '03's) go to the 6.0l Forum for more info, most were driveability issues, and a few inejctor failures - nothing major, not cracked blocks, or melted pistons.

But I still believe the PSD is the best diesel offered for a 3/4ton or 1ton truck.

Old 12-18-2004, 07:49 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
The PSD was also targeted for highway speeds...where most of us use our trucks...

Old 12-18-2004, 02:13 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The PSDs are rev happy you tromp your foot to the floor and the way you go I think the people that have the Dodge Cummins are big rig wanna be's figure they have a Cummins under the hood they are driving a big rig

When I took a ride in a friends 04 F-350 4x4 dually with the 6.0 and TS it sure has some snap to it. Alot more than his previous F-350 4x4 dually with 7.3 PSD Superduty. The one thing with the new 6.0 is the turbo whistle is sure prominant.

The Dodge guys brag up the Cummins saying its simpler to work on etc compared to the PSD is not anymore the days of simplistic Cummins went away when the 12 valve went away. You look at the new Cummins theres hoses and wires and crap all over the engine just like the PSD and the engine is half under the cab making it tough to work on.

I'am Ford biased I like Ford trucks because they have proven to me as a tough work truck.

The first PSD I drove was a brandnew 95 and I was impressed with the power from then on. I currently own a truck with a IDI 7.3 its slow and smokes but it still does the job. I probably will buy a 94-97 PSD pretty soon I want more power.

Old 12-19-2004, 05:51 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Often Confused
Guys,

I am new to the site, so take it easy on me. My questions: Is ford going to offer the cummins diesel in the super duty, if so, When? Next question: Which would you prefer and why?? I have an 01 7.3 ford and have been happy with it. Will probably get a new truck next year and have heard of problems with the new PSD. Is the new cummins having similar problems?? Thanks for the info, guys.
The 6.0 definitely faired worse on this launch than the new hpcr 5.9.

Ford is long term with Intl. 2012 I think. Dodge has cummins til 2010 last I hear. If you want a fummins. You may be waiting a while. My take is. Most PSD owners wouldnt be caught dead with a 6 cylinder in their truck. The american v8 mantality is to ingrained.

Old 12-19-2004, 05:57 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
The PSD is designed for use in a light duty truck and has a much broader power band than the Cummins.
Cmon. Your kidding right? The T444e was designed for use in medium duty applications. Says so right on the website. Ford is now intl bread and butter but Intl is in the medium duty engine business. You are correct though. The 7.3 and 6.0 are both rated as light duty. Appalling, to me, really.

As for powerbands. The 6.0 does have quite a reach on it. But, the 5.9 is 100 rpms short of the 7.3 on peak hp now. 2900 compared to 3000. 100 rpms doesnt necessarily make it broader. When the engine in question makes peak torque sooner. The powerband is measured from peak torque to peak hp. The 5.9 had more of it. The 5.9 had the widest powerband on the market. Believe it or not. The dmax has the widest powerband now. The psd has the smallest powerband in other words. Only 1300 rpms.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 12-19-2004 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:46 PM
MJD
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
The PSD was also targeted for highway speeds...where most of us use or trucks...
]

Have you ever even driven a Cummins before? Even my old first gen. Dodge diesel has sufficient power at highway speeds.

Old 12-22-2004, 10:58 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
L.H., this is a definition of power band as taken from an automotive dictionary:

power band:
[1] The subjectively defined rpm range over which an engine delivers a substantial fraction of its peak power. The power band usually extends from slightly below the engine's torque peak to slightly above its power peak.
[2] A certain rpm range in which an engine makes most of its power
Therefore, I stand by my statement. The PSD has a much broader power band than the Cummins. The 6.0 makes more power at 1600 RPM than the 7.3 did, and makes substantial power below 1600 RPM up to about 3300 RPM. That makes for a powerband that is broader than the Cummins. That's the very nature of the V8. I hope we don't have to dig up that 1000+ post thread again to prove this point again.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=244218
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=267293

Last edited by johnsdiesel; 12-22-2004 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
L.H., this is a definition of power band as taken from an automotive dictionary:

Therefore, I stand by my statement. The PSD has a much broader power band than the Cummins. The 6.0 makes more power at 1600 RPM than the 7.3 did, and makes substantial power up to about 3300 RPM. That makes for a powerband that is broader than the Cummins. That's the very nature of the V8. I hope we don't have to dig up that 1000+ post thread again to prove this point again.
Most of its peak power. Ok then. 90% would be most of??? I get 1600 to 3300, The PSD is down to 517 at 3300. The cummins makes 90% of its peak torque than this from 1300 to 3000, remember the cummins makes 555 by 1400 and is making 588 at peak hp. So I guess it is a wash. I was mistaken. They have the same powerband with the cummins having more low end hp. I will speculate. That the cummins holds at least 517 lb ft for more rpms than the PSD. Though it would be difficult to prove without very precise dynos.

The engineers have stated that the psd makes 500 at 1500. So below 1600 and above 3300 it is out of its powerband. You realise the cummins makes more hp than the psd from idle to 3000 rpm?

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 12-22-2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:23 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
The engineers have stated that the psd makes 500 at 1500. So below 1600 and above 3300 it is out of its powerband.
I think the truth is in the definition. It's not black and white, it's subjective, just like our discussion about "class leading" as far as brakes. Therefore, you could say that the Cummins has a broader power band and I could say that the PSD has a broader power band and arguably we would both be right by varying definitions.1 It's more subjective than comparing a number like the peak torque rating or peak HP rating.

1 I reserve the right to change my definition to prove my case, whatever the sceneario.

Last edited by johnsdiesel; 12-22-2004 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:32 PM
Megalodon1
Senior User

Therefore, I stand by my statement. The PSD has a much broader power band than the Cummins. The 6.0 makes more power at 1600 RPM than the 7.3 did, and makes substantial power up to about 3300 RPM. That makes for a powerband that is broader than the Cummins. That's the very nature of the V8. I hope we don't have to dig up that 1000+ post thread again to prove this point again.
I'm not sure what all this useable RPM nonsense is supposed to mean. Opinion is what this is. Where do you get the idea that a Cummins is somehow less useable at highway speeds? Where does anyone get this idea? It's simply a stab at the competition - nothing more. Attempts are made to mask this
fact with the inclusion of physical principals to support the "viewpoint".
None of which mean anything in real life. Half truths don't tell the whole
story.

Horsepower is horsepower. These engines are close enough in capability and capacity, that it makes little difference that one makes X horse power with a little less torque and a little more RPM, while the other achieves exactly X horse power again, but this time with a bit more torque at lesser RPM.
One makes up for less torque by revving higher, the other makes up for
less RPM with more torque - its all good. Don't get me wrong, horsepower
isint everything either - a gasser which makes equal HP to these diesels but spins to 5000+ RPM with only 350 lbft is not going to pull nearly as well - not enough torque to keep the load moving - but this is not the case here - these engines are pretty close and make identical horsepower. The higher and FASTER spinning engine should win a race between the two, but this does not make the other "less useable" at maintaining highway speeds by any means.

My old Cummins had a 5 speed- only four speeds really - granny was usually pretty useless - and I always had enough gears, lots of torque below 2000 RPM between shifts was always more than enough to do whatever I wanted to - albeit somewhat slower. This said any engine would benefit from having a transmission with more gears. I test drove a Duramax/Allison and also Cummins/48RE since I'm still in this test drive kick we had going. I agree after driving both the Cummins could use one more gear - the 48RE was lacking after driving the DMAX/Allison - however I'd expect the same performance
from the DMAX were it restricted to the four speed automatic in the Dodge.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
1 I reserve the right to change my definition to prove my case, whatever the sceneario.
I need to add that to my signature. I love it. Lmao.

Or. I reserve the right to change the laws of physics to support my case.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 12-22-2004 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:36 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Megalodon1, read post #11.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:43 PM
Megalodon1
Senior User
Megalodon1, read post #11.
Post 11 was in print while post 12 was still in progress....saying the same thing

Quick Reply: Cummins in the Ford