Help me breathe life into my tired C-6

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 10:01 PM
4x2Fordman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me breathe life into my tired C-6

OK, so Ive had my truck for a few years and never thought about the tranny. Its 78 f-250 with no more than 250 hp. Bassically I do drop into gear while revving occasionally to get un-stuck and I drive on hills a good deal. As of late my poor old transmission has slipped a couple times and the fluid is blackened. I know it should be a healthy red. If I get the fluid changed and the transmission serviced would it fix things...is this normal with old fluid?...mind you it does not hardly ever slip and when it does it is barely noticable. To make this a shorter question, How long do i got till it gives out completely? P.S. theres only 106,000 miles on it.
Fordman

Old 12-17-2004, 12:34 PM
thesprocket26
Posting Guru
I might help to change your fluid, but you may have burned up the cluthces inside your c6. I havn't rebuilt mine yet but it seems easy. I have taken a few apart and as long as your housing is good and not cracked or worn, you can slap in some new parts and be off!

Old 12-19-2004, 12:42 PM
-jeremy
Freshman User
you might check any vaccuum hoses for dried, worn or cracked sections. I had a similar problem at 130k and am now at 183k. Definitely change the fluid and filter. As long as the fluid has not bubbled, you might be able to save it.