1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Need help on seat installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 11:20 AM
oldtrapper
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on seat installation

I looked at some seats to find a more comforable ride. My 66 seat needs rebuilding and still wouldn't match newer seats. I looked at a reported to be 01 salvage take out. 60 40 type. Clincher-Seat belts are built into the seat back and seat. This gives you the seat belts without the installing hassle.
What other models did ford use these integeral belts in?
Has anyone used a setup like ?
PRO CON
Thanks
OldTrapper

Old 12-16-2004, 02:21 PM
GregGG
Freshman User
I did it with a 98 dodge extra cab seat. See my gallery:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=13775

It will require the ability to weld a custom frame that mates the new seat with the truck floor. The seat frame has to be able to handle the potential load of the seat belts and spread it accros a wide area of the cab floor. Make sure it mounts to the original reinforced seat and seatbelt mounting points.

I can tell you once its done it is very nice and worth the work. I'll try and answer any questions if you try it.

Greg

Old 12-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Daplumma
Senior User
Thumbs up

Perfect!!!Exactly what I'm lookin to do.Headrest,and seat belts.I am 6 foot tall and my stock seat on my 65 is all of the way back.Hoe muck legroom did ya loose?does it sit higher?Any idea what colors the Dodges seat comes in?
Joe

Old 12-17-2004, 09:58 AM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Greg, This is such a nice setup you should market the brackets or at lease a detailed set of drawings others could use.

Old 12-17-2004, 04:53 PM
GregGG
Freshman User
trapper, you do loose some leg room. Maybee an inch or two. I didn't measure it. The original seat fits into a lip right under the back window. The dodge seat has a headrest wich touches the back glass. The more upright you put the seat the farther back it goes. The more reclined you want to sit, the less leg room you have. Its a little bit taller as well. I'm 6'0" 180/lbs and its comfortable. These trucks are tall, its the leg room they are lacking. I have the seat mounted 1/8" off the floor (except where the floor slopes off on the sides). I used 1/8"x2x2 angle iron to acomplish this. The dodge frame was about 6-8" tall, so the head rests would have been at the roof!

I was originally looking for the chevy seat with the belts and headrests, but I got a deal on this dodge seat. I'm sure the chevy seat could be made to work too, and there are a lot more of them out there. Its just a matter of getting from the seat mounting holes to the holes in the floor. If I ever take the seat out I'll take photos and measurements for everyone else. Its a BIG hassle to get it out though.

Greg

Old 12-17-2004, 06:21 PM
oldtrapper
Junior User
need helpon seat installation

GREGG
The Dodge seat sounds like a good choice. I will look at them but I want to find a 01 f 150 seat I briefly looked at that looked like that also had the seat and shoulder harness constained in the seat itself that had 60 40 split I liked.
I think it might not be as hard to install. I completely agree on a good stout construction.
Thanks for the info.
Oldtrapper

Old 12-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Daplumma
Senior User
My brother and I have been tryin to figure out how to mount a shoulder harness in my old slic....while drivin around in his 00 Dodge...with the belt intergral to the seat...DOHHH....Time to break out the welder and put the fab machine in overdrive....think he will miss his seat...and belts?
Joe

Old 12-20-2004, 07:28 AM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a thought here Fellas! Greg has covered this very well on his rig but for everyone else, be sure the seat is connected to the truck or the seat will come with you as you smash aganst the steering column and windshield. I had a seat come loose in a race car once and it felt like I was a friggen yo yo. Luckily the ride was almost over before the seat came off.

Old 12-21-2004, 12:02 AM
oldtrapper
Junior User
Well I made a pretty good buy this afternoon on some seats. The newer seats intergral seat belts and shoulder harness from the frame some going as much as 500 for nice new stuff. Late 90s 60 40 pu seats are around 150 to 300. I had been checking at a local salvage that usually had good looking late model parts keep;s the newer seats inside and has a open area they call the bullpin and they put the not as good but nice stuff for 25 a pair. Just buckets or 1 section 60 40 stuff. Stopped yesterday and nothing inside for me not what I wanted checked the cheap seat section and there was a nice set late model 60 40 in dirty but nothing major bad for 25 bucks. Wife said load them in the car. Knowing that wouldn't work I said we would return
today and see if we were intended to get them. After a trip for PT at Jim Thorpe we rushed home and fired up old George and made it back in time to claim the bounty. I think this seat wasn't as shiny and they opted to send them to the cheap seats. One of the employees that loaded them and said they had only been pulled a couple days and just needed a good cleaning. After answering several questions about the 66 they finally made it to my garage for further cleaning measuring for future installation.
Any hints on what to use to hang the shoulder haness from and which one works best.
Merry Christmas to all. May the Good Lord take a liking to you.
Oldtrapper