What kind of wood to build my box???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 10:54 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of wood to build my box???

Alright, I just bought 2 Audiobahn 12"s (400 watt RMS) and a 1600 Watt pyramid amp.
Over Christmas time me and my dad are going to be building a box for it which will go behind my seats of my regular cab 2001 f-150.

1) What is the best type of wood to use to build this?

2) Should my box be ported or sealed?

Thanks alot for any replies!!

Old 12-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Brian79150
Freshman User
When I built my box I used MDF board. It was a sealed box and sounded great.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:10 AM
mzimmers
Elder User
MDF is as good as need be. Go with 3/4" for speakers that size.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:28 AM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
Alright...thanks guys

Anyone else beg the differ?

Old 12-13-2004, 11:28 AM
maticuno
Posting Guru
For the size box you are building, 3/4" MDF will be the most rigid you can get. Here is a good reference for building your box: http://www.termpro.com/articles/buildbox.html . I would recommend going with a sealed enclosure due to the fact that you don't have a lot of room in a std. cab.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use 3/4" Red Oak cause I hate MDF it's full of Nail's, Screws, Glue, pressed saw dust you name it, and water or mosture will make it fall apart. If it has to wiegh 20lbs I want real wood that is 3 times stonger and more rigged.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:41 PM
subboxmaker
New User
actually muffinman, mdf is by far the most common wood used. Red oak does not have the right qualities need for sub boxes. Other than that is far more expensive than mdf. Red oak will not have good resonance and will not give you as tight of a sound.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:51 PM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Your right but my ears can't hear it and price is not the issue. If it has to be a 20lb box I sure will not use MDF. I can always put some Dynomate inside to fix that problem, But I can't hear the differance anyways.

Besides MDF will warp like crazy when mosture gets on it, And it will being in a car with AC and heating and setting in the sun baking.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:58 PM
subboxmaker
New User
actually heat, cold, and sun have less effect on mdf than oak. (My dad owns a lumber yard). Either way, fiberglass is the way to go!

Old 12-13-2004, 10:47 PM
sk8ingsmurf
Junior User
Personally I prefer mdf to fiberglass, you dont get that hollow sound of fiberglass and I just feel like its more rigid (yes I know fiberglass with enough layers is just as strong/stronger), its also a little easier logistically for a beginner. 5/8-3/4" mdf is the way to go, do not go smaller than 5/8ths, I never use anything but 3/4. If its your first box go with sealed, it fits best and sounds best, there is also a TON involved in designed a proper ported enclosure that most people dont take into consideration (download a copy of winisd if you want to know what Im talking about). Good luck with your project, after you build your first box you will always want to make more, its a great hobby.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:23 PM
subboxmaker
New User
i totally agree, mdf is definatly the place to start. I dont think its possible to jump right into a fiberglass or ported or bandpass enclosure, its just what you said, a lot more to deal with than people think about.

Old 12-14-2004, 12:15 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
MDF is the way to go, and also MDF does not warp with moisture as bad as red oak, and MDF is more rigid. You must be thinking of particle board, which is basically sawdust that's been glued together, MDF on the other hand has more of a bond due to strands of fiber glued in with it, creating a lot stronger of a board, and when built correctly, it's a lot stronger than any "solid" wood. It's been proven scientifically in many cases.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:17 AM
subboxmaker
New User
muffinman, it looks as if your the only person against mdf. Thought u said i didnt know wat i was talkin about?

Old 12-14-2004, 08:04 AM
Muffinman
Laughing Gas
Like I said "Your Right" but I still don't use MDF! It's a poormans replacement for "Real Wood"

When was the last set of High end home speakers you bought that were "MDF and Vienier" and Don't say Bose or I will ROFLMA.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:35 AM
subboxmaker
New User
first off buddy, how many amps run you household speakers, sure as hell not 800 and up per speaker. That is the reason for not using mdf. And mdf is not a "poormans replacement for real wood." MDF has the exact properties needed to build a durable nice sounding enclsores. Its strong, durable, and doesnt resonante. Unlike your "real wood". I hate to tell you this, but my family has been in the lumber business for over 55 years, so your not gonna get me one this, but oak plywood is no closer to "real wood" than mdf is. "Real wood" is straight up solid oak, and if you wanna spend the money and time to build a enclosre out of solid oak be my guest. Im sure your poket book from your 20 years of knowing nothing can afford it. im fairly sure you have no idea about anything involving sub enclosures. Like u said u make your living with a grinder in your hand, hopefully ure a little better off with that than you are with your knowledge about car audio.

Quick Reply: What kind of wood to build my box???