1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

UV activated spot Putty won't dry?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 08:59 AM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UV activated spot Putty won't dry?!

Working on my "Jim Richmond wanna be" grille....

Got the sections welded together. "eliminated" the argent shaped protrusions on the bottom (where the stock signal light assys bolt up to). Giving her a final smoothing before primer using spot putty. The stuff I bought says "UV activated" "dries in 90 minutes". It almost winter here (8" of snow friday and saturday) and approx. 25 degrees F out. So I can't set this grille outside to catch any UV rays...(it's been so cloudy out there aren't any UV rays around here anyway). It's been 24 hours since I applied the stuff (yes, nice and thin) and it still isn't dry. It's in the basement, temp is about 65 to 70 F, I've been running a heater to get the room up to about 75 F or so and most of it is still not dry enough to work on....

What the heck?!

Will a hair dryer do it?

Old 12-12-2004, 09:07 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
RMF

Bondo is fake metal. Non-catalyzed filler is fake bondo. Stop, cut your losses and go get the real-fake stuff now. You aren't going to live long enough for that crap to stop shrinking.

And BTW, you owe us a picture of that grill unless I missed it. In progress would be fine.

Old 12-12-2004, 09:47 AM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ship it to flordia? Where did you ever find the grill? -4speed

Old 12-12-2004, 10:27 AM
gtkane
Senior User
RMF

All the heat in the world won't cure the stuff,it will only cure with UV light.
You can either buy a UV light from a hardware store, or start arc-welding beside it for the next hour and a half...ha ha!

Graham

Old 12-12-2004, 10:32 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen black lights available at some novelty stores. One of those might give you all the UV you need to cure the stuff. I think they cost about twenty five bucks.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:34 AM
gtkane
Senior User
Black lights just won't cut it.

Graham

Old 12-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
There is nothing wrong with a UV adhesive when cured properly. The problem is the correct cure equipment is expensive $1000.00 easily. I have never seen UV Adhesive for home use it would be cost prohibitive. We use it in our medical deivices and have not had any problems with it. Works great for a clean quick cure with minimal fumes. I don't think the sun would help much unless you wanted to wait a few years for it to dry.

Old 12-12-2004, 12:31 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Fergy doesn't mean to be rude and not answer us. He's on the roof of his garage holding his grill towards the sun. A very brief window during Canadian winters I understand. You want to tell us what you were doing all last summer Fergy. I know you've had this grill for quite some time now.

Noobs, don't be fooled by his docile and serious nature. That reminds me, what did we do with the RMF forum posting rules?

Old 12-12-2004, 01:51 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Sorry, I was on my roof....

O.K.’ I’ll try to deal with everyone’s comments thus far;

Thanks to Ozzie, I found one (54 Poncho grille) out in Alberta. With taxes, freight and all, about $140. cdn. A lot cheaper than the one I bidding for on Ebay….

I put up a small gallery showing the before and during pics thus far. Built a jig to hold the buckets in the exact position so that while I cut the old center old and fitted the new center I wouldn’t lose my position. (I’ve thought of doing a tech article on it, but quite frankly I think it would fairly boring and how many people want the same look? Besides, it ain’t that diffcult anyway….)

I won’t let ‘fenders drag me into a long discussion on bondo – pros and cons. Suffice to say that especially today’s versions of bondo, when properly applied are far superior to the products of yesteryear. Additionally, I have no desire to try to teach myself the art of lead. Between wood carving and smoking, I put enough crap into my lungs anyway, without adding lead fumes….

We did get about an hour or so of sun today and yes I did put the sucker outside. I expected nothing as it’s about 25 degrees F outside and after an hour, that’s what I got - nothing. Too cold for the UV rays to have any effect….

I dragged it back downstairs and started scrapping it off with one of my (very sharp) wood chisels. Got the “easy” stuff off with some damage to the bondo. Still have to do the more difficult areas – the underside of the buckets and the seam where the buckets are welded to the center bar.

Needless to say I’m a bit cranky. I’ve spent a week doing the bondo. Put on an 1/8th of an inch, sand off a 1/16th, put on a 1/8th and sand off a 1/16th……..Now most of my effort is ruined by the damage being inflicted scrapping off this putty crap….

I’ve thought of a sun lamp, but I can’t think of anyone that has one and I ain’t buyin one, so I guess I’ll just scrap it all off and repair the damage ii nflicted….I’ll be very cranky but at least ‘fenders gets a chuckle out of it…….

I'll just have to find some of the good, old fashioned spot putty we used back in the 70's when I was an aprentice auto-painter..

Old 12-12-2004, 02:14 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
RMF

I wasn't clear I guess. I'm not suggesting you not use bondo. I can't lead either. I am suggesting you use a catalyzed glazing putty. One that requires hardner. Rather than something that air dries. A real light bondo that replaces lacquer type glazing putties. It will even dry today. And won't shrink (as bad) until the rest of time like lacquer putty. A pain to mix up many small batches of catalyzed glazing putty , but it will be easier in the end I think.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:08 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
And the grill looks cool. If you're gonna blaspheme a Ford grill, you might as well do it right. It's gonna be a grill that causes one to do a double take. Kind of has a 53 Effie grill look to it at first glance. But then actually it doesn't when you really look closer. Very subtle, and I do like it.

Old 12-12-2004, 06:18 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Is the new grill aprox. the same length as the bucktooth original? Personally, I'd chrome it, but then I'm not the one who gets to perfect the welds and dings before plating. Has an early sam barris look that I like. You done good, -4speed

Old 12-13-2004, 08:27 AM
brewster1
Mountain Pass
I use "Metal Glaze" by Evercoat. You can buy it at most stores that carry auto body
paint. It is a 2-part putty that drys quickly and can be wet sanded with 220 paper. It is great for filling pinholes, building edges and can be applied up to 1/8 inch thick for dips and waves. It can be applied over metal, OEM paint and primer. Check the Evercoat website for more infomation. They also make a high end body filler called Rage. Expensive but is much easier to work than cheaper brands.
Jim

Old 12-13-2004, 11:11 AM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Firstly, apologies to ‘fenders. I didn’t read your initial response carefully enough and assumed you were busting my chops for using bondo in the first place…..

I got the putty off the easier areas with a very sharp chisel and a soft touch. I’m using a cabinet scraper to do the rounded areas (the buckets).

I’ll try to find the stuff recommended in the reply immediately preceeding this note but often times, brand names from the US aren’t available here in Canuck land.

While beauty is in the eye of the beholder and our tastes vary, I am very pleased with the look that will come from the finished assy. I personally feel the rounded lines flow nicely with the lines of the front sheet metal. I believe this grille will enhance the look of the truck (otherwise I guess I wouldn’t have started).

I’m not a big fan of chrome. I prefer almost no chrome.

I’ll have almost a $1.K in it by the time it’s done……

To answer Mr.4spd - I had to trim approx. 2.5 inches off each end of the Poncho center section to fit it.

Later,

Old 12-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

RMF - I second the recommendation on Evercoat products. They are vastly superior to Bondo and other lower priced stuff. They go on really creamy, are easy to spread and sand beautifully. Evercoat makes a number of products, all of which seem superior and came highly recommended to me from body work guys I know. I have only found them at body supply shops and had to call around to find it.
I have used the Rage filler and the "Easysand" body glaze. Really like em.
Now, if I just had some talent for body work...

Quick Reply: UV activated spot Putty won't dry?!