1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Effie Audio- Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 08:04 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Thanks for checking in Don.

Don is an audio dealer from Massapequa, NY. He sells many, but not all of his brands online. Manufacturer's rules are tricky. I asked him to check in every now and then until we finish our thread. Homespun is VERY knowledgable. Much more than I. Don knows the current model capabilities like nobody else here. We should be set now. I told him he can't be using the forum to pimp audio, but I wanted him to check in here and help us out. Those prices he just quoted are very good. And he is an AUTHORIZED dealer for many popular audio lines. That is important when you have a problem. He usually isn't five dollars cheaper. He is 50 and hundred dollars less on many items. I have personally purchased from him and saved tons of money. OK. commercial over. PM me and I'll give anyone his email address that needs it. Keep it handy, even if you are buying later down the road. He's there when you have a technical question too. I have watched him help folks on audio forums for a long time.

Last edited by fatfenders; 12-12-2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:28 PM
f1fordguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Don
Glad you are here. Obviously you know space is a limitation in these old things. I really don't want to put an amp and sub under the seat since access is an issue. I want to run my mains off the HU and figure out something on the sub. Does anyone make a decent powered tube? I think I could snake it in behind the seat. I am not interested in setting off every car alarm on my block.

Tim

Old 12-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Homespun91
More Turbo
"Homespun is VERY knowledgable. Much more than I." - 'Fenders

Uhhh....no. But I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Old 12-12-2004, 09:34 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Don: My name is Don and I an an audioholic!
All: Hi Don! Welcome! LOL!!!

OK, right up front If you've looked over all the sound system posts here I am considering for my 56 Panel truck the Alpine 9833 HU and the JL XR 6.5 2 way components. would like to forgo the amp for the moment in favor of XM receiver. I do not care to listen to music at front row live concert levels while driving or even so loud I have to yell to carry on a conversation with the person beside me, but I do like the sound to be as clean and open as possible. I want to hear a cymbal reverberate with clarity, the overtones on a string instrument. In other words I want to hear every sound that Pink Floyd recorded on "Dark Side of the Moon" the way they meant it to be heard without anything "extra". Will the amp in the 33 drive the JLs to my listening level without distortion? I'll most likely be adding a single channel amp and sub later, and don't want to rebuy anything I don't have to, but I don't want to listen to a strangling duck in the meanwhile.
PS could I bi-amp the components by feeding them the front and rear outputs off the HU? Not that interested in rear speakers, don't have a back seat!

Last edited by AXracer; 12-12-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:56 PM
djdilliodon
New User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Don: My name is Don and I an an audioholic!
All: Hi Don! Welcome! LOL!!!

OK, right up front If you've looked over all the sound system posts here I am considering for my 56 Panel truck the Alpine 9833 HU and the JL XR 6.5 2 way components. would like to forgo the amp for the moment in favor of XM receiver. I do not care to listen to music at front row live concert levels while driving or even so loud I have to yell to carry on a conversation with the person beside me, but I do like the sound to be as clean and open as possible. I want to hear a cymbal reverberate with clarity, the overtones on a string instrument. In other words I want to hear every sound that Pink Floyd recorded on "Dark Side of the Moon" the way they meant it to be heard without anything "extra". Will the amp in the 33 drive the JLs to my listening level without distortion? I'll most likely be adding a single channel amp and sub later, and don't want to rebuy anything I don't have to, but I don't want to listen to a strangling duck in the meanwhile.
PS could I bi-amp the components by feeding them the front and rear outputs off the HU? Not that interested in rear speakers, don't have a back seat!
The jl xr set will want more than the alpine can give. You can obtain nice decent sound from the hu amp with a decent set of speakers but dont expect audiophile sound. IMo your best bet is to get a good efficient set of coaxials that work best when run off hu power. The jl xr comps i do believe are bi ampable via there xover so it can be done.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:00 PM
djdilliodon
New User
Originally Posted by f1fordguy
Hello Don
Glad you are here. Obviously you know space is a limitation in these old things. I really don't want to put an amp and sub under the seat since access is an issue. I want to run my mains off the HU and figure out something on the sub. Does anyone make a decent powered tube? I think I could snake it in behind the seat. I am not interested in setting off every car alarm on my block.

Tim
Not all installs require a subwoofer to get a decent amount of bass response. A good component set with some power behind them can put a smile on most peoples faces that are not bassheads. For even more bass output u can run a pair of 8" subs in the doors IB (infinite baffle meaning no enclosure) with a dedicated amp for them with the doors well sound deadened. This way can give again very impressive results to many users that are not bass heads. If your looking for a loud setup a box is the way to go.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:10 PM
f1fordguy
Senior User
Don
So you would stay away from the powered tubes like Bazooka and even Fosgate? I am not really a basshead but would like to fill in my Infinity Kappas. They are 5 1/4 components in the kicks. Pics on the install thread.

Tim

Old 12-12-2004, 10:22 PM
djdilliodon
New User
Originally Posted by f1fordguy
Don
So you would stay away from the powered tubes like Bazooka and even Fosgate? I am not really a basshead but would like to fill in my Infinity Kappas. They are 5 1/4 components in the kicks. Pics on the install thread.

Tim
i would stay away from the bass tube idea. u can get a pair of nice 8's mounted IB in the doors and not only will they give good bass output but they will sound good doing it

Old 12-12-2004, 10:22 PM
f1fordguy
Senior User
And now to really dumb things down:

Hypotheticaly, if a HU puts out 44 watts, thats 11 per speaker L+R and F+R.

If you are only running 2 speakers, can you cross them and get 22 each L+R?

If so, is "crossing " them as easy as twisting the wires together and securing them (solder or bus)?

I promise guys I am alot better with engines and computers than this stuff. Reading AX and Fenders go at gives me a migraine.

Tim

Old 12-12-2004, 10:23 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I think audiphile quality sound in a 50 year old truck going down the road at expressway speeds with a hi cu V-8, headers and glasspaks is an oxymoron! My main use of a vehicle's sound system is to listen to classic rock (hence the XM) that I can sing along with to help me stay awake while driving on 4-16 hr trips. I find the poor clarity of OEM systems very tiresome rather than refreshing. My panel is fully insulated including the floor and will soon be fully upholstered in fabric rather than vinyl. Occasionally I like to open the windows and crank up a Buddy Holly, Ray Charles, the Doors, Queen or even a Metallica CD tho. I'm DEFINITELY not going to be listening to Hip Hop, C&W, or classical or even a top 40 station!
Give me a suggestion of an amp I'd be happy with without breaking the bank.

Last edited by AXracer; 12-12-2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:30 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
AX

I posted your question on an audio forum. The overwhelming first response is why the hell would somebody put a set of XRs on a HU. I told them you were and old crazy guy that didn't know any better.

I have another thought for you. I know you want to try some components. Take a deep breathe and don't shoot for the bleachers just yet. Cause you're very unlikely to get it perfect the first time, no matter how hard you try. Here's another alternative if you really want to try some comps. Buy the Alpine 9833. It is a sweet HU and I am confident you will be thrilled with it. Buy the CDT EF comps from Don. That price won't get you more than a set of junk comps local retail. I was considering those before I bought the CDT HDs. If I wasn't so stupid I would have asked him how much the EFs cost. That is a steal for the EFs. People UPGRADE to EFs. If you don't like them I guarantee you can off them on ebay for only a small loss. I can guarantee that because I will be bidding. Heck I'd even list them for you. You can work out the details of setting up components and get your feet wet without a big investment now. CDT speakers have that softer sound that old people like. Maybe too soft. But you can get something from CDT with sharper tweeters if you like too. Or add them later. I run the 1" silk tweets and like them a lot. I suspect you haven't heard of CDT before now. They are big in the performance audio world. Think Germany luxury car stereo. JL is very good too of course. The RMS specs may be throwing you off on your decision. Unlike many companies, JL under rates. Those XRs need an amp. They like a heck of a lot more than 25 watts.

Don

We'll talk him into quad 15 inch subs next. Pick out a nice AMP for him. He's got a panel truck. Room for a half dozen subs, 4 batteries and still room to haul the groceries.

Last edited by fatfenders; 12-12-2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:52 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
F1FG,
Trust me, I'm no expert or audiophile, I'm picking other brains here same as you. I'd rather listen to an audio book than a top 40s FM station. My idea of true music to my ears is two top fuel dragsters at full song, the start of the Talladega 500, the main straight at a grand prix. Gracie is going to be towing our race car trailer around the country, so I need something to listen to as a way to pass the hours without it being annoying rather than refreshing. I find listening to a poor system more tiresome than driving for hours @ 70 with the windows down.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:56 PM
f1fordguy
Senior User
I don't think eights in the doors will fit with the power windows and window channel. I was hoping for something a little less serious.

AX, I think your are right about the quality we can expect. My cab is thoroughly insulated but I fully expect some road noise.

May have to rethink the sub/amp combo under the seat. How am I going to fab up a seat that will fold up to get to this stuff?? Gotta noodle on that a while

Tim

Old 12-12-2004, 11:01 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
AX

You might be just as pleased with a set of nice coaxs then. They are no hassle install. If you want to play around and pursue a little higher quality audio, then I think a set of mild comps is probably for you. JL XRs are meant for high volume, high perf with an AMP. I know the good price caught your eye. I don't blame you at all. I've never seen them quite that cheap. But I think you will be happier with a set of laid back drivers. And that is what CDTs are. They are a higher perf version of the Pioneer sound. Clean and non-aggressive. But I surely can't tell you what you would prefer.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:10 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fatfenders
AX

I posted your question on an audio forum. The overwhelming first response is why the hell would somebody put a set of XRs on a HU. I told them you were and old crazy guy that didn't know any better.
LOL!!!!

Originally Posted by fatfenders
We'll talk him into quad 15 inch subs next. Pick out a nice AMP for him. He's got a panel truck. Room for a half dozen subs, 4 batteries and still room to haul the groceries.
nono, gota have room for the luggage, cooler, our dog, and a matress so we can lay down to nap between driving shifts. That's why we got a panel. Us old guys need our beauty sleep!

Quick Reply: Effie Audio- Speakers