1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Effie Audio- Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 11:19 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
OK I'm ready talk to us about amps so even if I decide not to go that way now, I will know what the future might bring and can plan for it. I have to know what size hit the budget will take, and see what the holiday business finishes to figure a time frame as well.
Don, email me, it's in my profile, click on my name.

Old 12-12-2004, 11:26 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been installing systems in several types of vehicles. As sound systems go. It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. There is no end to sound systems and all the systems out are pretty good. A good rule to follow is not to mix or match systems. Each system is tweeked to work efficiently with the same system. I'm running a simple Pioneer CD player. 2 pioneers 3 ways speakers 5" in front. I have a 100Watt amp running the front and a 400 Watt amp kicking the bass in the rear with one 10" woofer. The amps are mounted under the bench seat. The systems sounds excellent with whatever you listen to. Total cost was under $500

Old 12-12-2004, 11:31 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by f1fordguy
May have to rethink the sub/amp combo under the seat. How am I going to fab up a seat that will fold up to get to this stuff?? Gotta noodle on that a while

Tim
I'd investigate how seats fold up in stationwagons. On some older ones the bottom of the backseat folded forward. You might be able to utilize the hinges and latches for your seat, or fabricate your own hinge and possibly utilizing the seatback latches from the front seat of any 2 door car?

Old 12-12-2004, 11:40 PM
Homespun91
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim, (simplifying things)

No, you can't.

Certain separate amps can do this- it's called bridging.

Hopefully causing no migraines, Mike

Last edited by Homespun91; 12-12-2004 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:02 AM
djdilliodon
New User
Originally Posted by AXracer
OK I'm ready talk to us about amps so even if I decide not to go that way now, I will know what the future might bring and can plan for it. I have to know what size hit the budget will take, and see what the holiday business finishes to figure a time frame as well.
Don, email me, it's in my profile, click on my name.
as far as amps go budget is the key. How much your willing to spend will play the roll in what u will get. In car audio the main goal is to buy the best products that your budget will allow. Also matching the amp power to the speakers and subs u buy is also key. There are many awesome brands of amps out there like for high end there is us amps, arc audio, brax, helix, zapco, linear power, TRU ect. Fot mid level amps there is cadence, RF, orion, viper, crossfire, and tons more. Think of how much u will want to spend first, then choose speakers and subs next. after that u choose an amp within your budget that matches the speakers and subs.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:05 AM
djdilliodon
New User
Originally Posted by fatfenders
AX

I posted your question on an audio forum. The overwhelming first response is why the hell would somebody put a set of XRs on a HU. I told them you were and old crazy guy that didn't know any better.

I have another thought for you. I know you want to try some components. Take a deep breathe and don't shoot for the bleachers just yet. Cause you're very unlikely to get it perfect the first time, no matter how hard you try. Here's another alternative if you really want to try some comps. Buy the Alpine 9833. It is a sweet HU and I am confident you will be thrilled with it. Buy the CDT EF comps from Don. That price won't get you more than a set of junk comps local retail. I was considering those before I bought the CDT HDs. If I wasn't so stupid I would have asked him how much the EFs cost. That is a steal for the EFs. People UPGRADE to EFs. If you don't like them I guarantee you can off them on ebay for only a small loss. I can guarantee that because I will be bidding. Heck I'd even list them for you. You can work out the details of setting up components and get your feet wet without a big investment now. CDT speakers have that softer sound that old people like. Maybe too soft. But you can get something from CDT with sharper tweeters if you like too. Or add them later. I run the 1" silk tweets and like them a lot. I suspect you haven't heard of CDT before now. They are big in the performance audio world. Think Germany luxury car stereo. JL is very good too of course. The RMS specs may be throwing you off on your decision. Unlike many companies, JL under rates. Those XRs need an amp. They like a heck of a lot more than 25 watts.

Don

We'll talk him into quad 15 inch subs next. Pick out a nice AMP for him. He's got a panel truck. Room for a half dozen subs, 4 batteries and still room to haul the groceries.
You are totally right about the ef set from cdt. It is one of the best budget sets i have ever used. I use to own the jl xr comps and to be honest i would take the ef's over them anyday. ill post pics of the old system i did using the jl xrs

Old 12-13-2004, 12:08 AM
djdilliodon
New User
Here are the pics of my old camaro i use to have. notice the jl xr xovers Ill admit im an sql guy i like it loud and clean lol. all my cars now i use cdt audio and us amps

Old 12-13-2004, 07:35 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by imlowr2
I've been installing systems in several types of vehicles. As sound systems go. It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. There is no end to sound systems and all the systems out are pretty good. A good rule to follow is not to mix or match systems. Each system is tweeked to work efficiently with the same system. I'm running a simple Pioneer CD player. 2 pioneers 3 ways speakers 5" in front. I have a 100Watt amp running the front and a 400 Watt amp kicking the bass in the rear with one 10" woofer. The amps are mounted under the bench seat. The systems sounds excellent with whatever you listen to. Total cost was under $500
Lower

There's a lot in that paragraph. Absolutely agree that there is no end to how much you can spend on audio. And I'm sure you love your all Pioneer system. I've stated a bunch of times I think they offer good value for the budget system. But as far as mixing brands being bad. That is way off the mark. Unlike you and I and our truck preferences, electrons are very objective little guys. There are no Alpine or Pioneer electrons. Speakers want a strong distortion free signal at the proper frequency from the AMP, which wants a clean signal from the head unit. If you want performance audio for the best price. You really handicap yourself with brand loyalty. There is no single company that offers the best of every component, at the best price. Not even close. Most companies that try to offer a complete system have a weak spot somewhere in the line-up. Biggest problem with system brand loyalty is you would limit yourself to mainstream audio companies. Which not only excludes the best performing audio components, but also keeps you from getting the best prices at a given performance level.

Don

Yea, that's what we need. Two ported 12" subwoofers in a small truck interior. You're gonna blow out the door seals we just replaced. You just keep thinking sound QUALITY while you are here.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:45 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
OK, iffin I went with the efs, what the best bang for the buck in an amp that will compliment them and the Alpine HU, preferably one that can be bridged? PS: just because I don't have a back seat doesn't mean I want enclosures taking it's place! LOL!
If I have to name a price to discuss this, will 200.00 buy me anything in Amps that I'd want to listen to?

Last edited by AXracer; 12-13-2004 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:11 AM
f1fordguy
Senior User
Homespun
Thanks for the primer. Of course, I don't suppose HU's are bridgeable? Sure would simplify things.

Tim

Old 12-13-2004, 10:31 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fatfenders - I agree to a point with you. Maybe I wasn't clear in the point I was trying to make. I'm not saying mixing is bad or shouldn't be done. I've found when using various speakers, headunit and different amps, the clarity of sound was poor. Switching various amps and speakers helped to get the sound quality I was looking for. I always looked for the weekly deals at electronics stores and purchased them trying to match or get that extra hundred amps out of my system. Granted, there are better units and mixes that will produce better sound quality than same brand name components or units, no doubt!. I'm looking at expenses here (maybe due to marriage and having twin boys). I guess getting more bang for your buck is what I'm trying to say. It can get really expensive buying amps, speakers, headunits, etc. and finding it out the sound quality isn't there. It may loud but not clear, or clear and not give the boom sound. I've been there and done that several times. Maybe I'm just getting old and don't care about the super sound system anymore LOL... It seemed like I was always replacing a blown out amp too. I started figuring, "why am I spending all this money on sound?" I've had pretty good luck with name brands and sound quality has been pretty good not to mention the systems have lasted for several years. A friend of mine installs stereos at a stereo shop here in CA. Sometimes getting advice from these guys helps, from all the installations they have done, it's second nature to know what system will work best for your needs. Bottom line with sound systems is you have to be the one whose happy. There are so many brands and models out there, it's at a point where nobody has a clue anymore what's good anymore. I lost track a while back. LOL.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:21 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AXracer
OK, iffin I went with the efs, what the best bang for the buck in an amp that will compliment them and the Alpine HU, preferably one that can be bridged? PS: just because I don't have a back seat doesn't mean I want enclosures taking it's place! LOL!
If I have to name a price to discuss this, will 200.00 buy me anything in Amps that I'd want to listen to?
Yes, that will by you a clean and modestly powered AMP. Which is all you need. And most everything is bridgeable these days. Now your next decision..........

Plan A

Do you want a 4 channel AMP, which would allow you to drive the components with channel 1 and 2 in stereo, and later bridge 3 and 4 for a small sub.

Plan B

Buy a 2 channel amp if you know for sure you have no plans for subs ever. If you decide to add a rear stage with full range speakers. You can power up some coaxs off the rear channels of the Alpine. I don't normally like a rear stage, but your panel truck is so big it has it's own zip code, so it will probably be necessary eventually for a full sound.

I need to get back to work, but remind us to explain "head room" as it applies to an AMP.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:39 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
can I bridge 1&3, 2&4 to double the amp's power to the comps? hate to see 2 channels just sitting there doing nothing...
Is 8" the practical min for a sub? could I mount one IB under the seat? If not, how small an enclosure is usable? What about mounting one (or two if needed) in the side panels behind the seats? I don't really want to mount in the doors if possible.

Old 12-13-2004, 04:18 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
can I bridge 1&3, 2&4 to double the amp's power to the comps?

Yes, then I believe you'll have a thousand dollar mono audio system. What a fine idea

Is 8" the practical min for a sub?

In my opinion yes. I will be running a couple of new 8 inch subs from Elemental Designs. They will run in tiny enclosures. We'll work the details on installing them. Even an 8 inch is a huge compromise for a sub, but it will suffice

could I mount one IB under the seat?

Do you mean free air? Not worth doing IMO.

If not, how small an enclosure is usable?

.25 cube for each sub I am referring too

What about mounting one (or two if needed) in the side panels behind the seats? I don't really want to mount in the doors if possible.[/QUOTE]

Agree no doors. A tasteful enclosure that could be easily unplugged and removed from Panel is also an option.

A couple other possibilities to ponder. Sawzall a couple holes in the side of the panel. Use the entire truck for a giant sub enclosure with you inside? Or buy a pair of 8s, and make some headphones. A new spin on free air subs.

Old 12-13-2004, 05:48 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
OK smart a**
you know I meant bridging RF with RR, LF with LR...

Quick Reply: Effie Audio- Speakers