Sponsored by: Moser

79 another how rare?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 09:19 AM
move
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
79 another how rare?

My truck is a 1979 f150 lariat supercab short bed. Has the 460 with a c6. Black and silver color with all the trim. Also has some Ford 16 inch rims that I have never seen on another truck. Another thing I have never seen is the inlay in the doors and seats that have silver in them to match the out side. The owner said that it was a trailer or camper special. But I don't see any marking that say so.

So tell me do I have a rare one?

Old 12-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Probably a free-wheeling package or Indy Pace Truck.

Is there an orange in the cab trim ?

Old 12-10-2004, 11:47 AM
move
Senior User
No orange. Did all of the super cab truck are black and silver also have silver coming up the back of the cab and over the roof to the front? The rims do have ford script on the back of them. What is the free-wheeling package?

Last edited by move; 12-10-2004 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Whoops , I just read the party about it being a Super Cab

I need to see a picture.
Creat a gallery & upload it or do you already have a pic on the web somewhere ?

Check theRating plate on the edge of the door ,for DSO code it will have either two numbers or 6 digits.
Let me know as this could have been a special order truck.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:47 PM
move
Senior User
I just did a search and the rims are the same as the indy pace truck except the center part is chrome.
Sorry I don't have a camera. I will post pictures when I get a camera. The truck was built somewhere between 78-79. it says 79 but the engine is a d8ve. I will come back and post the numbers. I'd like to know.

EDIT:
The truck is in great shape. it has never been in a wreck or any thing. The first dend it got was from a limb that fell on the hood and put alittle dent on it. My uncle owned an auto body shop so he pulled it out and primed it just never painted it. The in side of the bed is in fair shape. Just a little bit of rust at the front and on the tailgate. My worse problem with the body is under the drip rail above the supercab window. It has rusted through on both sides. Not a big deal but it is rust. That's about it.

One other thing that might help. Also on the doors on the bottom it has a ruffled like pocket goes all the way across. I don't know if all the trucks have that.

Old 12-10-2004, 01:59 PM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

The door panels your truck has were standard with the Lariat package. The map pockets on the doors were also standard with the Lariat package. Overall, your truck doesn't sound like an extremely rare one, except for the fact that it's a shortbed, and shortbeds are pretty rare.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:07 PM
move
Senior User
So the wheels probably just where part of the lariat package. I just haven't seen another truck like this before. Darn I thought I might be special! LOL

EDIT:

JohnT, My interior looks a lot like yours except my seats have two silver stripes running down it and my door panels have sliver stripes running through it.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:12 PM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Smile

Yes, the wheels were part of the Lariat package. Your truck is still special, though, because it's a 79 Ford!

Old 12-10-2004, 02:16 PM
move
Senior User
Darn, your not nice You busted my bubble..

Oh well for a moument there I had thought I decided how I was going to build my engine. I was going to just build it back stock.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:20 PM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Smile

move,
My 78 Lariat originally had the same door panels and seat as yours with the silver trim on it. When I restored the truck 2 years ago, I had to replace the door panels and seat because of damage, and unfortunately I couldn't find the original Lariat style parts, so I went with XLT door panels, and a Ranger seat. -JohnT

Old 12-10-2004, 02:23 PM
move
Senior User
I'm fishing can't you tell!

Ok so the next best thing would be to have a interior shop add the silver? I'm not going to sell the truck any time soon but how much is a truck worth like mine? That is after I get the rust fixed and the engine refreshed.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:34 PM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Smile

An interior shop could probably do the silver on the door panels and seat. The reason why I didn't do that with mine was because my truck had already been tied up at the body shop for a year, and I was getting anxious to get it back as soon as possible. It's hard to say exactly what your truck would be worth when it's all fixed up. It will definetly be worth more if you keep it all stock. I would guess that a 79 Lariat supercab shortbed, restored to original condition, would be worth somewhere around $10-$12,000. It all depends on how far you go with the restoration.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:48 PM
move
Senior User
D@mn that baby is going back to complete stock condition. Thank you that made my mind up.

Another question. Did these trucks come with dual exhaust. I know it sounds funny, but who ever done it done a good job and made it look like factory. has the rubber isolators and all.

One of the things I love the most about the truck is the head liner. It is in mint condition. Black with the polished trim! Sweet looking.

Last edited by move; 12-10-2004 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:06 PM
JohnT
Posting Guru
Smile

No, your truck originally would not have come with dual exhaust. But, if the dual exhaust set-up that's on it now is in good condition, and looks stock, it wouldn't hurt to leave it on. For the "stock look", the tailpipes should exit behind the rear tires, one pipe on each side. I agree, those Lariat headliners look nice. I really like the one on my 78.

Old 12-10-2004, 03:21 PM
move
Senior User
Man! That helps me out so much!

Quick Reply: 79 another how rare?