Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Diesel Newbie Performance Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 11:13 AM
iez44
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Newbie Performance Questions

Just purchased an '00 F550 7.3L dump truck with 31k miles. (6 spd) I know it's not gonna pull hole shots like my V10, but it just doesn't seem to have the get up and go that I think it should have, especially when loaded.

I've read through a lot of forums about various add-ons and mods that will produce enough black smoke from the tires and engine to cause the local VFD to come a runnin'; however, I'd like to get are some opinions on a more conservative approach. Basically, what can I do to get some additional power from the engine, but not remortgage the house in doing so???

Remember to explain in detail because I'm a diesel novice! Thanks.

Old 12-07-2004, 01:59 PM
LuLuGoin2ADiesel
Elder User
I don't know if the truck you're describing was identical, except for the V10. However, I do know that the 550 is a big truck.... especially when loaded. You can greatly increase the performance of your rig many different ways. Your best bet would probably be to get gauges - EGT (Exhaust Temp Gauge), Tranny temp gauge if it's automatic, and a boost gauge. These will help you monitor what's going on when you're driving. The EGT gauge is most important. If you run too hot for a sustained period of time you will blow the motor. Next, I'd suggest an aftermarket intake. Wit only 31k miles on it, I'd recommend the Ford AIS intake. It is far superior (flows better and filters better) to the stock set up and this intake will not void your warranty as would other aftermarket intakes. then I'd suggest some sort of aftermarket exhaust system. Something that's 4" turbo back. This will allow your exhaust gasses to flow easier and faster, aslo giving you a few extra horsepower and ft/lbs. The main idea behind a diesel exhaust is to flow exhaust faster so you can run a little harder without endangering the engine. A 4" turbo back exhaust should lower your EGT's atleast 200 degrees. Then I'd suggest a tuner (Superchips, Diablo, Hypermax, etc) to tune your engine. You can gain anywhere from 25 hp all the way up to 125 + hp. If you click on the "Parts Shop" button in the upper right hand of this screen, you'll be taken to MotorHaven. They are a major sponsor of this site. They have great products at great prices. You can search for tuners or exhausts there. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Old 12-07-2004, 02:01 PM
LuLuGoin2ADiesel
Elder User
By the way, if you get caught with a tuner or flip chip on your truck, it will definitely void the warranty. So you'll have to run the pro's vs. con's and decide what you want.