General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Matthew vs Matt

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 08:28 PM
ranger rules
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matthew vs Matt

If your name or if you know somebody named Matthew, so you mind/prefer being called Matt?? Reason I ask is because one of my mom's friends has a son and she cannot stand anybody calling him Matt. She said I named him Matthew and thats what he is to be called. If I had that name, that you get old fast, but just wanted to see how people with this name/their familes call them.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Seems to me it should be up to the person named Matthew to determine what he wants to be called. If the mother wants to call him Matthew, she is free to do so.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:14 PM
RodbusterGS
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree w/ Pikachu.....My (given) name is Gregory, and when I was real little my mom insisted on calling me Gregory. I fought back though . Its been Greg ever since

Old 12-02-2004, 09:17 PM
mrsuperman15
Senior User
my first name is matthew and i hate being called matt. i know some people who don't mind being called matt and they actually prefer that, i have always gone by my middle name but in college i have gotten used to matthew, which is fine but matt is unacceptable, just a personal preference i'd say

Old 12-02-2004, 09:34 PM
matt77F2504x4
Elder User
that is the best thread title EVER! finally i get to answer a question i actually know the answer to. when people call me Matthew, i tell them that only my mother calls me matthew. ever since i was very young, everyone has just called me matt. when someone calls me matthew i think i'm in trouble!
All kidding aside it really doesnt matter to me either way. call me either name. (just call me!) as a side note; this childs mother is being way too controlling, trying to get people to only call her child by the name she wants. some friends of mine have a daughter named Elizabeth. she is 6 years old and ever since she was a baby, i have called her lizzy, its just my name for her. her mom calls her liz, and her dad calls her elizabeth. she is very well adjusted and knows what her name is. call the kid matt if you like it. just never, EVER, call him Matti!

Old 12-02-2004, 09:47 PM
moose94
Posting Guru
I have a brother named matthew but see here's the thing. We don't call him matt or matthew. Its matty! Everyone in our house calls him matty and that's the way it goes.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:06 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
If people call me Matty my blood boils. Dont ask why. The only person alive that may call me that is my mother, and she knows not to do it with others around.

-Matt

Old 12-02-2004, 10:11 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

I think it is just something you get used to. It's not the name matthew, but my roommate's name is Michael, that's what it's been for as long as I know him, and it's weird for me to call him Mike. I spose it's all just personal preference.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:05 PM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
My brother-in-law's name is Andrew and his mother always insisted that everyone call him Andrew, not Andy. Apparently she would correct his friends when he was younger, but that only works for so long. I agree, it should be up to the individual, not the one who "gave" the name.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:10 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Matt, Matthew, Matchoo, Mateo, whatever you want to call me I don't care. Just don't call me French or spell my name with only one "t".

Old 12-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
My son's name is James but he was always called Jim as a child. When he was in trouble it was James... Somewhere during High School he started to prefer James. It is totally up to him.

If Matthew prefers to be called that, we can only respect his wishes. It is HIS name after all.

Old 12-03-2004, 12:37 AM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
my mom abuses every version of the name Matt. I believe there is a 10000 character limit on posts (I've exceeded that before ) I'm sure I could use that limit with all of them.....

Old 12-03-2004, 03:31 AM
heavnbound
Elder User
We have a situation similar in some respects in our house. My middle son's given name is Robert but we call him Bert.

A lot of people we talk to ask us why we don't call him Bob or Bobby, but he is a Bert and that's what he likes to be called.

As matt77F2504x4 remarked, we call our son Robert only when he is in trouble!

Old 12-03-2004, 06:54 AM
tps0424
Senior User
My son's name is Matthew and we use Matthew and Matt interchangebly. His brother and sister almost always call him Matt.
My father called him Matty ONCE when he was a few months old. It will never happen again.

Old 12-03-2004, 09:24 AM
dumptech
Elder User
I introduce myself as David, not Dave, for a couple of reasons. First, Dave conjurs up an image of the guy in the greasy coveralls that used to clean the windshield at the service station (those over 40 know what I'm talking about). Not that that's a bad thing, I just prefer not to be identified that way. Second, it's a test to see how closely someone is paying attention when they meet me. Also, it's a sign of the level of respect someone has for others by remembering the name they prefer to be called. Of course, all this doesn't apply to my family. They call me what they've always call me.