6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 06:34 PM
captian diesel
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear main seal

Well i just took it in to the shop and they had it for 1 day, i have to pick it up tomorrow, they replaced my rear main seal, I know that daryhunter has had this same prob, Do you think their is anyway possible that the 1704 superchips could have anything to do with that, I have not had a problem it seemed like intill i installed my SCMT or is it just bad luck. Oh and by the way nice to talk to you guys again.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:48 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably not! I have an early 03. I have had two rear main seals replaced at 3500 and 7500. I now have 25,000 plus and all is fine.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
Mine actually had a bit of a drip before I started using the SCMT so I don't think that the problem is related to its use.

When I took my truck in, they first replaced a front seal of some sort and thought that would do the trick - didn't though. Brought it back the next week because it was leaking worse than ever and they next replaced an injector pump seal.

That went a long way towards clearing up the bad leak.

I had cleaned off the bell housing and surrounding areas when I changed the oil a week ago but when I looked under the truck this morning the bottom of the bell housing had an oil film and a drip starting to form. No oil spot on the driveway yet. I'll clean things up one more time to make sure that it isn't due to any remaining oil still dripping down from the injector pump seal. If it is still leaking, then back in again it goes.

Old 11-29-2004, 06:55 PM
captian diesel
Senior User
What they did with mine is they put some kind of dye in it and told me to drive it for about 500 mi then they put a black light under it and they knew right where it was coming from with no messing around, but mybe they all do that i dont know.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Hayapower!
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My RM leaked at 200 miles.. First one didn't take.. They pulled the rear engine cover and 'created' another leak along with the second seal replacement.. Third one held just fine... Ran the Predator 'during' and 'after' the last rear seal.. Never leaked again, even with the Predator tune for thousands of miles until traded.. Dye check is normal procedure.. If you do your own oil changes, the oil will have a green color to it when drained..

.......................HP.............

Old 11-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
They did put some dye in mine, or at least had it on the invoice under the parts.

Hope they got yours fixed first try.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:19 PM
captian diesel
Senior User
Thanks guys, Feel alot better about reinstaling the 1704 tell ya the truth i cant wait, And i hope they got it fixed the 1st time to, I also told them not to give any other flash to hopefully they listend to me.2003 PSD/ Torkshift /F250/CREW/SCMT/White/With a moon roof