Sponsored by:

tailgate problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 02:01 AM
glockster
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tailgate problems

I have a 96 bronco. I love it. It's the best vehicle I have ever owned EXEPT for that miserable piece of @#$% tailgate. Its rusting out, the window won't go down, then the window won't go up, then the torsion bar broke, then one of the latches wont latch then it won't open then the window won't go down and so on and so on and so on. Does anyone have any idea what it would cost me to go to the dealer and have the entire thing replaced? Is there any other good source for a new one. I don't want to get one from a junkyard because it is probably messed up as bad as the one I have. Thanks for any info.

Old 11-27-2004, 06:15 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Jeff's Bronco Graveyard or JCWhitney, I believe they both sell a replacement. The Graveyard sells most of the internal components including the necessary parts to repair a malfuntioning window motor. I just replaced mine a few weeks ago. I have an exploded view diagram somehwere of the tailgate. I'll try to find it. Before you re-assemble a new tailgate, seal the inside of it with either a spray on bedliner (had Rhino Lining guys do mine) or undercoating. This prevents moisture from settling in the seams inside the inner and outer sheet metal of the gate which is what causes them to corrode from the inside out like they are prone to do. You will get varying responses on this but take the time to replace the torsion bar. Its worth it in the long run and if you get one from Ford, it is longer than the original because Ford addressed the problem of the bar breaking free from the inside channel in the gate and shattering the glass by lengthening the bar beyond the last bend.