Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Cheap suspension kit with little to no lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Hourang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap suspension kit with little to no lift

im having trouble finding suspension kits that just replace stock stuff with better parts, i dont want to lift it more than it already is and i dont want to pay a ton of money.

Old 11-24-2004, 03:15 PM
SRD4X4
Posting Guru
I'll start and then you'll get a mess of ideas/suggestions.Personally I would use MOOG replacement parts for anything suspension related.But I don't think you can get a complete "kit".

Old 11-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Hourang
Senior User
yeah i might even consider like a 2" lift kit just to get all the parts. also can you include websites to get these parts at as i dont know where to buy truck parts from online yet.

Old 11-24-2004, 03:54 PM
SRD4X4
Posting Guru
Nope.I don't get anything online.But I'd say check the sponsor's link if you don't get any responses.

Old 11-25-2004, 01:33 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck ('74 F-100) came with MOOG replacement coils up front, my brother installed them for the guy that used to own it. He told me that they have a higher load rating, brought the truck to level. I havn't had any problems with them since I bought the truck in '91(?).

Suspension bushings are available in kits.

What are you hoping to gain?

Old 11-26-2004, 02:26 PM
Hourang
Senior User
i want to replace the stock suspension with something better but dont want to increase the height. i guess i could just buy the peices separately.

Old 11-27-2004, 08:38 AM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
OK, lets re-phrase the question: Better for what?

Ford tried to assemble the best all around compromise they could. If your goal is an all around, do everything truck, you have it.

If your intended useage is more hauling than anything else, or more off road than anything else, you move from compromise to sacrifice when it comes to street driving.

I think napa carries the MOOG line. Just about everyone (and thier pet dog) carries poly bushings in kits, I've seen rubber bushings (I think) at LMC truck.

If your taking the fix-whats-broke approach, start with the bushings. If the factory installed your current bushings, I'd say they've had a good life. If your leaf springs have the teflon anti-friction pads, replace the pads. If not, disassemble the spring pack, clean the contact surfaces and spray with Lubriplate.

Just replacing these wear parts may be all the improvement you want.

Good luck, Mike

Old 11-27-2004, 10:14 PM
Hourang
Senior User
awesome thanks a lot for the response that helps. i will have to get a bushing kit. and ill just replace the shocks with good aftermarket ones, you think the springs should be fine?

Old 11-29-2004, 10:01 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
I don't know, I haven't looked at them- just kidding.

Park the truck on LEVEL ground, stand back 20 to 30 feet and do a walk-around inspection. Compare from side to side; corners same height? Do the springs look pretty much the same as their counterpart?
You'll probably notice a difference from front to back; low in the front is most common. Some people like to replace the front coils to level things out. Mine got replaced a few times because P/O would break either springs or mounts (Rancho), rear leafs are original, interchange with the 3/4 ton 4x4.

Look at the leafs from the side; any cracks, broken leafs, broken fittings?
Same for coils, any cracks or breaks?

When in doubt, take it to a pro. Take it to a dozen pros, get a consensus. It's your blood ,sweat, and tears going into this project.

Good luck, Mike

Old 11-30-2004, 08:10 AM
Hourang
Senior User
cool thanks, mine is 85 f250 3/4 4x4 so i believe it has leafs all around right?

Old 12-02-2004, 12:34 PM
chuck641
Elder User
yeah there is leafs all around. i would do as the others suggested, get new bushings and shocks itll make a world of difference.

Old 12-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Hourang
Senior User
ok thanks, any good websites or places you guys suggest buying this stuff from? i would like to shop prices but i have no idea where do buy parts for older ford trucks, if it were my camaro i could find it in a heartbeat, seems a lot of the truck sites tailor to newer truck parts.