1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

supporting cab for floor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 11:25 AM
kevkel
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up supporting cab for floor replacement

Hello all, im about to replace the floors on my 55 and wondering if i have to support the cab by tacking in beams(front, back ,side, etc).? Thans

Old 11-21-2004, 11:44 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you are going to take the cab off the frame and do a full replacement then I'd definitely tack in bracing N-S and E-W as well as a couple diagonals. Last thing you want is to have it come out not square, the floor provides a lot of the squaring. Another alternative is to replace the floor in two 1/2s front and rear then seam them down the center. IMO the best way would be to bolt the new floor to the squared and leveled chassis with temporary solid spacers in place of the rubber mounts. Set the body over it, center it, level the sills, square the diagonals, then attach the floor to the body. That way you have accounted for any variations the chassis aquired over the years.

Just saw your gallery, see my comment in your intro topic.

Last edited by AXracer; 11-21-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:31 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
replacing the floors

Kevin,

I agree with AX... do them 1/2 at a time... front half then back half...

tack weld some cross braces from door frame to door frame to keep the cab from spreading THEN makes your cuts and replacements... I used 14 guage metal for mine.... here' some info

floor fix

later

john

Old 11-21-2004, 05:08 PM
kevkel
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, ill will bace the cab. It does make sense to do the front halve first then the rear and weld them at the middle. The first 55 has very solid floors, so i may acually cut them out and use them to save on costs.John your article on your floors was great, it helped alot.
Thanks
Kevin