1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48 what tools came with trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 11:09 PM
48ATOY
Tuned
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile 48 what tools came with trucks?

what tools and other items, come orginally with [new] trucks in 1948?
jack? I dont have
I have 1 wrench
wood handle screwdriver?
and other acc.
I may have a 3 red reflector box
please post info
thanks Joe

Old 11-15-2004, 06:24 AM
barry
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to my 48-55 Ford parts & accessories catalog, you need:

Tool Bag
Wrenches-2 open ends 7/16x1/2 inch
7/16x5/8 inch
Pliers
Adjustable wrench
Spark plug wrench
handle
Tire iron
Lug wrench
Starting crank
extension
Jack
Jack handle
Grease gun
Rear wheel bearing wrench ( F-2,3,4 only)

There are several other tools listed, but are for large trucks. They don't show a screwdriver listing, but I find that odd as it's a essential tool to work on anything. Somewhere in one of my books, there's a list that has everything in one list. I'll try to find it and post again.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 11-15-2004, 07:19 AM
Narwhal
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does a 1953 F100 have manual starting crank capability?

-Scott

Old 11-15-2004, 01:42 PM
barry
Postmaster
My parts books show 1952 as the last year a hand crank was available as a option.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 11-15-2004, 10:07 PM
48ATOY
Tuned
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts
What a deal if you got all these things

does anybody have a kit made up with this?

or are we all missing pieces

pictures would be great to see of tools and acc.

Old 11-16-2004, 06:16 AM
barry
Postmaster
I'm missing the crank extension, spark plug wrench and handle, grease gun and of course the bag. Got everything else. 48-early 50, the trucks used the flip top jack. Late 50-52 used a jack identical to the jacks in the 80's-90's F-series and Rangers. It even has the hole for the wing nut. I have an original jack and I matched it to my 89 F-250 and it's the same. Ford did supercede the part number up to a 1973 part number. The jack handle to crank the jack up with was available from Ford as of recently.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 11-16-2004, 08:51 AM
DonF
Junior User
Barry,

You are the man. You seem to be the most knowledgable person around concerning what was original on these trucks. I certainly wish that we could get you to take some pictures of the tools and jack. I am using a current Ford jack for my 49. This is probably as close as I will come to the original but keep looking for what I think is a 49 F1 jack. Question. If the jack uses the long foldable screw up jack handle, where is the handle stored? Bouncing around under the seat?

One more question. I have asked this a number of times and still have not found the answer. If any body knows, you will. What stock colors were used for the sun visors, kick panels, seats and headliners. My truck is birch grey.

Thanks,
Don

Old 11-16-2004, 03:01 PM
barry
Postmaster
The folding handle goes in the tool tray on top of the gas tank, as far as I know. It's too big for the tool bag and I see no provisions to secure it anywhere else. The interiors were a brown, red and grey. Unfortunately, the 48-52 didn't have a "trim" code anywhere on them. My 50 is going to be Meadow Green, so I'm going with the brown interior. I found some remnants of the headliner and it was brown. Interiors are tough to figure as I can't seem to find any Ford data on how the salesman actually ordered the trim. There's nothing in the Salesman's data book or sales brochures.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 11-17-2004, 08:54 AM
DonF
Junior User
I don't doubt your response but putting the folding handle in the tool tray does not sound like a very good solution. It would still bounce and rattle around. You would think there would have been some way to secure it.

I'm still puzzled about the interior colors. Every chance I get, I look at what I think are original interiors (e-bay, etc). I had about come to the conclusion that they used brown for all of the seats no matter what the paint color. It would kind of match the dash and radio speaker cover. For birch grey painted trucks, I thought they would have used black for headliner and kick panels. But, according to your info, I guess not. No black headliners, huh!! Back to square one.

Thanks,
Don

Old 11-17-2004, 03:25 PM
barry
Postmaster
THere was 2 types of leather seat material also. One was grained leather and the other was smooth leather. My parts books list only one part number for the covers and I agree it was brown, I've never seen anything but brown on original seats. In 51 they started with different seat colors and materials. Mostly the 5 star cabs got the fancy colors.
There's a company in Mass that does interiors and thier stuff is top notch. It's LeBaron-Bonney. They advertise in Hemmings. They have kits for 48-52 trucks and they've donr thier reserch on the colors. You can get a catalog from them. They might have a website, but I'm not certain.
I've searched all 3 versions of my parts books and can't find anything as far as a clamp to hold down the jack handle. I'm a ex-Ford parts manager, so I know where to search and what basic numbers to use. I've got my cab stripped bare and there nothing for holes for a screw or bolt to hold it down. The only hole that's threaded is below the filler pipe and that's for the jack thumbscrew. You'd think they would clamp it down or even have a clip system to do this. What would be nice is to find a original truck with all the tools, etc... still in place. But that's wishful thinking. Most people took the stuff out after they were ready to get rid of the trucks. I remember as a kid in the early 60's a neighbor had a 48 and he took the tires of the rims, bolted the rims back on and drove it into the back of his place and pushed it off the cliff and buried the truck along with a 49 Ford car. I know they're still there. What a shame! I'll keep searching until I find an answer.

Barry

50 F-1

Old 11-17-2004, 06:03 PM
1949fordf3
Senior User
Headliner/Panels/Upholstery

I have my Lebaron Bonney catalog in front of me and they have a Leather Grain Pattern in black for the 48 - 52 trucks, as well as the Brown. They will provide free literature and samples. Their e:mail is lebaronbonney.com You can see the brown kick panels and the seat upholstery in my gallery.

Old 11-18-2004, 08:41 AM
DonF
Junior User
Barry,

Pushing it off of a cliff does not surprise me at all. Last year a friend gave me a lead on a 51/52 8RT engine for sale. I found the place on the edge of town and sure enough, there was an engine, transmission and hood from a 51/52 F1. Kind of curious, I asked the fellow about where the rest of the truck was. He pointed over to the corner of his pecan orchard. He had buried it about a year ago. Bought the engine and transmission and know were there extra parts about six feet down.

Well I'm now good with brown for the seats and down to either brown or grey for the kickpanels and headliners.

1949fordf3
I took a look at your gallery. By the looks of your firewall, it appears that the original color of your truck was also birch grey. Did you find any remenents of headliner or kickpanel colors? Thanks for the e-mail address. I'll give them a try.

Don

Old 11-19-2004, 06:59 AM
1949fordf3
Senior User
Interior colors

When I got the truck, the previous owner had stripped everything out and painted all surfaces black. The orginal color was Palisades Green and that is what I used when I redid it. When I pulled the gas tank, it was green in the back. Since this is a daily driver, I'm doing it backwards - will end up painting the exterior next spring.

Old 11-20-2004, 08:11 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Barry and others,
Where there any tools for the 53-56? I have not found any in my literature and dealer catalogs and accessories booklets. There were reflector flares.
What did the jack look like? and the lug wrench?

thanks, abe 54 F-100

Old 11-21-2004, 10:48 AM
barry
Postmaster
THe jack for the 53 and on trucks was the bottle style jack. You can get one from any mid 70's to mid 90's F series or Ranger. The folding handle can be ordered from Ford still. It's #82Y 17091-B. The lug wrench is the same as any Ford car or truck (F-100 ) up into the 80's. It was still available from ford a few years ago. It was part number C2RZ 17032-A. As far as tools, I think 52 was the last year for tools coming in a vehicle from Ford. All the listings end with 1952.

Barry

50 F-1

Quick Reply: 48 what tools came with trucks?