2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 tone paint to one solid color??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 12:44 AM
UNLOADIT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2 tone paint to one solid color??

My Lariat is red with the silver/gold color around the bottom, and I am not a big fan of the 2 tone. Has anybody painted the bottom of their 2 tone to match the rest of the truck? Does anybody know if I can have just the silver/gold color repainted to red without repainting the whole thing??

Thanks,
Unloadit

Old 11-15-2004, 06:35 AM
Rocky J
Elder User
Yes, in answer to the second question. It helps if there is some sort of body molding or trim to separate the new paint from the factory paint, since there can be a slight color difference.

Old 11-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Kurious
Junior User
Not to be a smarta$$ but why didn't you just buy a solid color if your not a big fan of two tone then you wouldn't have to go through all this trouble?

Old 11-15-2004, 11:34 AM
gpeade
Elder User
I Am Not A Paint And Body Man But I Know That The Trucks Are Painted The Solid Color Then The Second Color It Sprayed Over On The Rocker Panels. Maybe There Is A Way To Remove The Second Color Without Damaging The Base Color.

Yeah I Know, Probably Not, But Hey, It's Worth Asking

Old 11-15-2004, 11:49 AM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not going to paint mine not to match but im going to paint it black once the bumper gets a little more ragged from rocks and other stuff that gets kicked into my truck.

if your going to try to match, its best to do it soon before the paint starts to fade and they will have to try match the more weathered look.

kurious-the lariats in red come two tone same as my blue one, might be able to find one if you look hard enough but i couldnt find any supercrews. and i couldnt getan xlt because they donthave all the options i needed. i kind of like it now, looks a little classier but im not a fan of the red/gold or black gold trucks.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:01 PM
bigplayrayr
Senior User
Originally Posted by blitzen25bm
i
kurious-the lariats in red come two tone same as my blue one, might be able to find one if you look hard enough but i couldnt find any supercrews. and i couldnt getan xlt because they donthave all the options i needed. i kind of like it now, looks a little classier but im not a fan of the red/gold or black gold trucks.
Exactly, I wish the Lariats had more of a solid color choice. I would have like to have a true blue or a solid wedgewood

Old 11-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Kurious
Junior User
Good point, I didn't think of the option packages. I have an FX4 painted white with the charcoal grey bottom and I love the color combination. As far as matching the paint color it should not be a problem but keep in mind what they will have to do is basically paint your truck from about midway down to the bottom (to blend the paint, they won't paint a straight line over the bottom color) and then possibly will have to clearcoat most of the truck so everything blends together. I don't think this is a cheap fix, and I personally would have a highly reputable body shop do this or have the dealership do it. Just my 2 cents...

Old 11-15-2004, 12:10 PM
Rocky J
Elder User
Another option is to repaint the accent color a different color. Grey or black instead of gold? The more I think about it, the less likely I think it would be to be able to match up the red paint.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:28 PM
UNLOADIT
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kurious
Not to be a smarta$$ but why didn't you just buy a solid color if your not a big fan of two tone then you wouldn't have to go through all this trouble?
The reason I bought the 2 tone is because I wanted red, and I wanted a Lariat. I have never seen a Lariat that came one solid color. I did not want to order one and have to wait for an 05. They had the the 04 on the lot, and it had everything I wanted, except the 2 tone. The 04 had a 4K rebate also. I had to buy in 2004, because I am writing the whole thing off for my 2004 taxes, thanks to that SUV tax loophole. So.....I just had to suck it up and pull the trigger onthe 2 tone.

I am going to visit a few highend body shops and see what the cost to paint it red would be. Thanks for all the imput, and I will let you guys know what I end up doing.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:46 PM
fordguy61mi
Senior User
[QUOTE=UNLOADIT]The reason I bought the 2 tone is because I wanted red, and I wanted a Lariat. I have never seen a Lariat that came one solid color.QUOTE]

My black Lariat came in one solid color.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:50 PM
UNLOADIT
Senior User
Interesting.....I have never seen one. I'm sure they are out there....like yours....but I would bet that most of them are 2 tone. Anyway, for all the other reasons I listed, that's why I bought what I did. It's not like I can't live with it the way it is.....I would just prefer it to be all red.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:51 PM
bigplayrayr
Senior User
[QUOTE=fordguy61mi]
Originally Posted by UNLOADIT
The reason I bought the 2 tone is because I wanted red, and I wanted a Lariat. I have never seen a Lariat that came one solid color.QUOTE]

My black Lariat came in one solid color.
I think he meant he never saw a solid red Lariat. I think they made a solid Toreado Red though. I have a solid black Lariat too. I also see solid white.

Old 11-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Bigles
Junior User
All the Lariats come in solid color, there are only two color choices for the lower two tone. They match the interior. Silver for the Medium Flint interior and the gold for the tan interior.

Old 11-15-2004, 01:31 PM
bigplayrayr
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bigles
All the Lariats come in solid color, there are only two color choices for the lower two tone. They match the interior. Silver for the Medium Flint interior and the gold for the tan interior.
Lariat interiors in 04 came in only tan or Black leather. The two tone is only with Arizona Beige metallic. Bright Red and Med Wedgewood Blue were the only colors unavailable as a solid on the Lariat.

Last edited by bigplayrayr; 11-15-2004 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:36 PM
whitre
Junior User
My white Lariat came in one solid color.

Quick Reply: 2 tone paint to one solid color??