1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil spings on the 05's. Much difference over '04 leafs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coil spings on the 05's. Much difference over '04 leafs?

My wife and I have been looking at F250/350s and will probably buy at the mid to end of '05. She wants used, I want new. That means we'll be looking at differences between the '05 and previous models. One thing that instantly was noticed is the use of coils in the front for '05.

Anyone have any ideas as to why Ford went this route? What was the point, not that I'm saying one is better than the other, but I just want to know the reasoning behind it. Also, anyone notice much if any difference driving one over the other?

Any other *significant* drivetrain differences?

Thanks.

Old 11-07-2004, 05:37 PM
SCOTT_KODIAK
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The coils ride much better than leaves. The coil setup is basically the same as what has been in the 2wd superdutys since they were released. The 05's turn quite a bit sharper also.

Scott

Old 11-07-2004, 07:06 PM
J-dog05
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Scott said...the coils ride a lot better and have a much better turning radius. I had a 99 F-250 4x4 before my current 05 F-250. The 99 rode much worse and turned wider even though I have a crew cab now and my old one was only extended cab.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by SCOTT_KODIAK
The coils ride much better than leaves. The coil setup is basically the same as what has been in the 2wd superdutys since they were released. The 05's turn quite a bit sharper also.

Scott
I guess I forgot there were 2wds out there

The turning radius must be due to the ability of the tires to turn farther, lock to lock, without hitting the leafs? The control arms must be mounted a little further in then?

How long have they had coils in the front of the 2wds? I'm wondering about longevity. Who makes good replacement coils, or do people put a "spacer" on top of the coil to level front to back?

Thanks.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace!
How long have they had coils in the front of the 2wds?
Almost forever?
I'm wondering about longevity. Who makes good replacement coils, or do people put a "spacer" on top of the coil to level front to back?
I'm sure the aftermarket will soon, if they don't already, have coil spacers. Daystar may be the first place to look.

Why do you ask about longevity? The coils are still made out of spring steel.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Monsta
Almost forever?

Why do you ask about longevity? The coils are still made out of spring steel.
Because all parts wear, and depending on the way things are made they will wear differently. Some coils wear (sag) much faster than others, and comparing coils to leafs will mean they *may* be different still. I have a lot of experience with suspension (coils and leafs) and know that not all springs are made the same (some are absolute cr*p), regardless of all being made of spring steel.

I've had vehicles with both leafs and coils and like the idea of coils in the front and leafs in the rear, but I have *no* experience with the F-series Superduty so I didn't know that they used coils in the front of the 2wd, *and* I don't know how they hold up (having no experience). Knowing they've used coils for almost forever is educational.