1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Alternator help please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Komputersman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator help please.

I am bewilderd. I began to notice about a month ago that my lights at night would dim at idle and brighten as I rev the engine so I replaced the alternator with the same as what was in the van now a 60amp. (I guess there is a 100 amp avail) anyways my battery had never died but I noticed this strange light activity. So I replaced the alternator and that night the van died while trick or treating with the famly. Battery was dead, Oh great I panic and haul *** to the Autozone and get a new voltage regulator thinking it must be suspect.

4 days pass no trouble

Well tonite (first night drive since regulator replacement) I noticed a red light on but it was the seat belt light then I noticed the lights dimmed when I turned on the heated, Then when I was at a intersection the blinkers would not work but when I turned the heater off they would blink, then the head lights dimmed and sure enough once home I tried to restart the van and it was dead.

Besides exchanging out the alternator and regulator again what the heck?

Old 11-04-2004, 11:19 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you bought it at autozone, take it back and make them test it. It sounds like a bad alternator or ground to me. Is there a 10 gauge wire going from the negative side of the battery to the regulator? What year is your van?