1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Flip a Front axle?

Old 11-03-2004, 09:20 AM
vintage56
Elder User
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Flip a Front axle?

I may be way off base here folks, but I've been wondering if it's possible, or if anyone has, flipped the front axle under their ford truck? I'm gonna be working with a tighter than tight budget and am kicking around ideas here. Would it bottom out? Would I have to modify significantly my steering, pitman, etc.? Fabbing reversed perches wouldn't be too hard for me as my father-in-law is a steel fabricator of 30+ years.

Old 11-03-2004, 04:56 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I don't know for sure, but I'd expect you might run into a lot of steering linkage interference issues, and the drag link geometry would need to be brought back to horizontal to avoid a very ill handling beast. Then there is the likelyhood of hitting the frame on every bump. Depending on engine weight, you'd probably be a lot better off removing every other leaf in the springs for a no cost lowering and softer ride. Check out the instructions in the "Mid Fifties" catalog.

Old 11-03-2004, 06:54 PM
Kecky
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vintage, some years back when the two rags in print used to put real tech stories in the magazines, that didn't involve only parts from companies selling stuff to us, they did a build up called the "Centerline Truck". (Sorry for the rant about the magazines it's just seems they don't do back yard builds anymore).

They flipped the front axle on a 56 and welded in 2x2 rectangular tubing inside the frame rail over the front axle and then boxed it in. Cut a "c" notch above the axle to provide enough travel. Also installed a Sagiinaw power steering box. The issue with the drag link was fixed similar to the dropped axles by using a spacer block bewteen the tie rod to keep it level. I looked at it for a while but the result seemed easier to achieve by using a dropped axle.

I will look around for the article if you're interested in seeing it? Let me know.

Kevin

Old 11-04-2004, 09:59 AM
vintage56
Elder User
Centerline truck article

Yeah, I'd love a copy of that if at all possible.

I think I may remember that truck. Was it the orange and silver truck that the M.O. of the project was to build a show quality truck on a regular guy's budget? If it's the same truck I'm thinking of, they put an EFI motor in it to show how feasible it really is, which incidentally, I'm thinking of doing... I digress. Yes, I'd like a copy of that article, please.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:33 AM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kecky, I would sure like to see that article also, if possible. I looking at some options for lowering the front of my 51 and mounting both ends on top of the axle had crossed my mind also.

Old 11-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Kecky
Mountain Pass
Vintage & 51Ford, yeh they put in a F.I. 351W if memory serves. I really liked the truck because it used budget ideas and methods to build a nice quality truck. Of course, I think it also ended up with a Santini paint job but... It would be interesting to find out what happened to the truck.

I will poke around my magazine collection and post the article as soon as possible.

Kevin

Old 11-04-2004, 12:40 PM
vintage56
Elder User
Centerline truck article

I spotted that truck online several months back. Somebody had bought it and it looked like they'd taken the Centerline logo off the doors. That truck, as a matter of fact, is what got me rawled up on my project back when it came out. The facts of life (newly wed, working full time, college full time, etc.) kept me down on the project. I remember they'd used some sweet old Ford sedan tail lights cut into the rear fenders, too.

Check my gallery for pics.

Last edited by vintage56; 11-04-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:39 PM
oldjeep
Senior User
I'm also in the process of trying to figure out how to get the front end lower. On my F350, flipping the axle to the top of the springs is out of the question because of the aftermarket motor crossmember. Removing leaves seems like a poor option, becuase the springs are pretty flexible already and I don't want to mess up the load capacity.

Only 3 options left are to:
Have the axle stretched
Have custom leaf packs made that preserve the load rating, but sit lower (Not really an option since the stock packs are pretty flat)
Replace the spring mount on the frame.

At the moment I'm leaning towards replacing the spring mount with one that rides close to the frame. Since the mount sticks down about 3" too far, I'll only get a 1.5" drop by doing it. Doing it that was will also require axle shims so that the caster doesn't get screwed up.

Old 11-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Kecky
Mountain Pass
Vintage & 51, I have scanned the article and can e-mail it to you. Please PM me and include your e-mail address. I will sent it your way.

Kevin

Old 11-05-2004, 05:06 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
We had that truck at the design center in Dearborn for a while, some of the people said it was a evil truck to drive but I would bet none of them had ever driven a straight axle truck before. Also those are 49/50 Mercury tail lights

Chuck

Old 11-20-2004, 06:14 PM
Kecky
Mountain Pass
Hey guys, unless I'm mistaken the "Centerline" truck has found us. Was looking through the galleries and found this gallery https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=13039 Looks like Jon could shed some light on his flipped axle for us if he is posting????

We would like some info Jon about ride quality etc. on your truck. How about some more photos?

I remember following this build up in the magazine.

Kevin

Old 11-22-2004, 09:12 AM
vintage56
Elder User
posted from internet

Read above posts. I posted those in my gallery to show the truck to readers who might not know of it. Those were simply pics I've found on the net. Sorry for the misguidance.

Old 11-22-2004, 09:34 AM
286merc
Posting Guru
Get a dropped axle from Industrial Chassis or send yours to them and save a lot of headaches.

http://www.industrialchassisinc.com./

Old 11-22-2004, 12:15 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
I just called them and the cost is $385.95 plus shipping on both directions.

Old 11-22-2004, 03:33 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Check out the black 51 in the December issue of Classic Trucks Magazine. It has a 4" dropped axle with reverse eye springs. Its the lowest I have ever seen a straight axle, outside of the one that had the axle flip. Looks great, I would like to do mine the same way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flip a Front axle?