Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pre or Post Pyrometer Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 09:29 AM
TaosCowboy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre or Post Pyrometer Install

I am getting geared up to finally purchase the three guage set that I have been wanting for quite some time.

I have a question: which pyrometer to buy, a pre or post turbo installation.
I am not sure where to look to see if my tube is already tapped??

I am nervous about doing any drilling or serious mods to install these guages.

I would appreciate your opinions on my best options.

Old 11-01-2004, 09:32 AM
sy5adm1n
Senior User
Def pre-turbo. Gives the best overall safety for high temps and shutting down. You have 2 options, a drill and tap in the exhaust manifold type, or the clamp-on type. The manifold really isn't that big a deal, did mine in about an hour, taking my time and taking deep breaths. I didn't take it off the truck to do it, just took my time, used grease and a magnet to get all the particles out. Been 2 years now.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:08 AM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PRE,PRE,PRE,PRE TURBO!!!! i tapped my exhaust manifold with it on the truck just as sy5adm1n did, its been a little over 2 years and everything is fine.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:32 AM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Yep, go with pre turbo. It's the most accurate and you know the temp of exhuast that the turbo is getting, instead of the after the turbo. I was like wlihntr and mounted the thermocoupler on the manifold while it was on the truck. Wasn't too difficult, except for welding upside down. I probably need to take it off and reweld it, as I know it's not the best weld, but I haven't had any issues with it at all.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:10 AM
realhp
Senior User
Originally Posted by farmb0y
Yep, go with pre turbo. It's the most accurate and you know the temp of exhuast that the turbo is getting, instead of the after the turbo. I was like wlihntr and mounted the thermocoupler on the manifold while it was on the truck. Wasn't too difficult, except for welding upside down. I probably need to take it off and reweld it, as I know it's not the best weld, but I haven't had any issues with it at all.

farmboy I was wondering why you had to do some welding during your install? I also have my thermocoupler pre turbo and have not had any problems.

Old 11-01-2004, 05:11 PM
vancouverpower
Elder User
BTW I just swapped my old post turbo unit for one that taps into the exhaust manifold. It reads about 250 degrees hotter, and shows ups and downs in the temp quickly.

Originally Posted by sy5adm1n
Def pre-turbo. I didn't take it off the truck to do it, just took my time, used grease and a magnet to get all the particles out. Been 2 years now.
Will a magnet pick up cast iron???

Old 11-01-2004, 07:57 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Originally Posted by realhp
farmboy I was wondering why you had to do some welding during your install? I also have my thermocoupler pre turbo and have not had any problems.
some pyro kits come with a threaded coller that the probe screws into so if you would rather not tap the exhaust manifold you can drill a hole into it and then weld the coller over the hole

Old 11-01-2004, 07:59 PM
CAT_man_963
Posting Guru
Definitely another PRE-turbo vote. I have a clamp on style probe mounted in the up pipe right after the exhaust manifold. Not a bad install, though I never did one in the manifold - so I can't compare. Definitely put it pre-turbo - putting it post, IMO, is a waste of the money you spent on the pyrometer.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:39 PM
realhp
Senior User
Originally Posted by wlihntr
some pyro kits come with a threaded coller that the probe screws into so if you would rather not tap the exhaust manifold you can drill a hole into it and then weld the coller over the hole
Thanks for clarifing that for me I drilled and tapped mine and had no issues.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 779 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by vancouverpower
BTW I just swapped my old post turbo unit for one that taps into the exhaust manifold. It reads about 250 degrees hotter, and shows ups and downs in the temp quickly.

Will a magnet pick up cast iron???
Yes it will.

Old 11-02-2004, 12:00 AM
truck_guy
Freshman User
Well shoot, i just ordered the post turbo gauge from motorhaven here last week. I've been looking forward putting in it too... since i'm not mechanically blessed, i thought this would be better for my turbo.

Old 11-02-2004, 09:12 AM
TaosCowboy
Freshman User
Thanks

I will definately order the pre turbo guage. I am still a little nervous about cutting the hole. I now need to decide if I want to tap the hole or weld the bushing on. All I have is a 230v stick welder...that has burn thru written all over it!

Old 11-02-2004, 09:17 AM
sy5adm1n
Senior User
TaosCowboy, just drill and tap. I was scared to death to drill into my brand new truck. I was thinking about the cost of a new manifold the whole time. I had thought about welding it in, but again, one burn through and either alot of welding up or a new manifold. Once I started, I just took my time, went slow and didn't rush it. Went smoothly. With the drill and tap method I was able to swap out my pyro recently without a problem. (I needed to split the signal to my gauge and my Edge Attitude).

Old 11-02-2004, 09:36 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 779 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by TaosCowboy
Thanks

I will definately order the pre turbo guage. I am still a little nervous about cutting the hole. I now need to decide if I want to tap the hole or weld the bushing on. All I have is a 230v stick welder...that has burn thru written all over it!
You could go up to the local exhaust shop and have them weld it in. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a wire feed. Might be a little funny sounding while you are en route with the hole in the manifold.

Old 11-02-2004, 01:21 PM
bigpowerstroke
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't understand the difference in a pre-turbo kit and a post-turbo kit. I thought both should have a thermocouple with pipe thread so you could use it either way. I had mine post for a long while and just changed it, the difference is amazing. Its way more accurate than post-turbo set up.

Quick Reply: Pre or Post Pyrometer Install