1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

A Few Questions On A 66 F100

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 11:10 PM
Brad4321
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question A Few Questions On A 66 F100

I am in the process of taking the doghouse off to put a slightly less rotted doghouse on, fix the cabcorners, floorboards, and otherwise over-invest in a $300 truck . However, I can't figure out how you get to this one bolt on the fender.

http://www.truckplace.com/od/screw.jpg

and it appears to be located here on ths x

http://www.truckplace.com/od/door.jpg

I can't even see the bolt, more or less get in to get it off. Underneith, from inside the cab, or from the engine compartment. I figured that there would be an easy way of getting to it, since afterall, it had to go on from the factory easy.

Radiator supports are not being manufactured, so I have heard. This is a problem since I really don't have a radiator support. There isn't even enough left to weld new panels to. Does anyone know who has a stock of them laying around?

I have seen two types of mirrors for this truck, a small car like mirror, and the big wide load mirrors that mount at the bottom of the window and then again on top, like I have on my old international. As you can see in the highly compressed picture, there is a mount at the bottom of the wing. However, in the middle of the wing there is a steel rod that comes out. Would this be part of the bigger mirror, or did this truck have the smaller mirrors?

The floorboards are rotted, however so is the cross member like support that runs all the way across the floorboards. Other than welding some new sheetmetal to it, is there any other way to get that? I have found floorpans, but they don't have that included.

Does anyone make rear end parts? I don't know exactly what is wrong with this one, but the truck will roll about half a foot before the rear end engages. I am guessing that the teeth on the main gear are pretty much gone, but I haven't taken it apart to look.

Suprisingly enough, it has 23,000 original miles, but you wouldn't know it by looking.

thanks

Last edited by jowilker; 09-17-2006 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:23 PM
matt1morton
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to go through the square hole in the cab. Kinda high on the quarter panel. Some of these have a plate that covers the hole. It can be reached with a wratchet extension. Oh yeah, this hole is above the circular vents in the quarter panel.

Old 10-31-2004, 06:31 AM
cdherman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear end is likely a ford 9" -- readily available and relatively easy swap or repair. Sounds like you are new. Posting up the whole VIN would help some of our more experienced guys decode it for you and tell you what your truck had originally. If it truly has 23k miles, I cannot beleive the ford 9 rear is dying already. Could this be a tranny problem?

Mirrors -- the smaller stock ones are repproduced. Try Dennis carpenter or here. I don't see any of the typical holes for truck style mirrors in the door in your picture.

Core support -- bad news. Single most hard to find item. Try swap meets, ebay. Expect to be hit hard. I paid almost $400 for a perfect one. 66 is specific to that year only!!!

Mirrors --

Old 10-31-2004, 08:24 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Arrow

Ditto the above.
The rears are pretty bulletproof. If you'd need to replace it, finding one out of a scrap truck shouldn't be too hard. About the only thing on these trucks that doesn't rust.
I'd say you have the little car mirrors, which go in the slots in the doors. Available repro from several suppliers.
I'd try Carolina Classics for the floors and the support pieces you need. I'm pretty certain Rick is repro'ing extension pieces to replace the rotted ones you mention. He also has made the corners in the door openings where the hinge post meets the rocker.

Old 10-31-2004, 10:30 AM
CyrusLS1
New User
National Parts Depot (NPD) sells a reproduction radiator support for a 66 i think for about $250? i can't get there web site catalog to load so i'm not sure on the price.
The fender has one of thoes clips, and on mine the clip just spun when i tried to take the bolt out. i got a screw driver and placed between the cab and the fender and applied pressure against the bolt and clip which enabled me to stop the clip from spinning....if that doesn't work it will probably have to be cut out somehow.

Old 10-31-2004, 07:26 PM
Brad4321
Cross-Country
If it truly has 23k miles, I cannot beleive the ford 9 rear is dying already. Could this be a tranny problem?
It could be, as I haven't really looked into this problem yet. However, there is a load bang coming from the rear end whenever you put into gear, so I am figuring the problem is there somewhere.

I have a parts truck, however if I rip the rear end from it, there is nothing left to stop it from rolling away, so I am not wanting to do that if the parts are cheap.

I'd try Carolina Classics for the floors and the support pieces you need.
That is where I am getting them. Truely a saving grace.

I'm pretty certain Rick is repro'ing extension pieces to replace the rotted ones you mention. He also has made the corners in the door openings where the hinge post meets the rocker.
Who is Rick? He seems like someone I need to meet real bad .

National Parts Depot (NPD) sells a reproduction radiator support for a 66 i think for about $250? i can't get there web site catalog to load so i'm not sure on the price.
I will look into that. Thanks.

The fender has one of thoes clips, and on mine the clip just spun when i tried to take the bolt out. i got a screw driver and placed between the cab and the fender and applied pressure against the bolt and clip which enabled me to stop the clip from spinning....if that doesn't work it will probably have to be cut out somehow.
The driver side is doing that on me. If I can get that to work, it will be so much easier than trying to snap the bolt.

Posting up the whole VIN would help some of our more experienced guys decode it for you and tell you what your truck had originally
http://www.truckplace.com/od/vin.jpg

Last edited by jowilker; 09-17-2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:26 PM
cdherman
Posting Guru
If NPD has core support for a 66 at $250 (or for that matter $400) then buy one. And let the whole world know. But I'd bet $20 it ain't so. Post back and prove me wrong. I left my manuals with my truck, now languishing 300 miles away from me, so I cannot take a stab at decoding the VIN. And I have 65 book, so some of the codes might have changes. Someone will help.

Old 11-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Brad, first off welcome aboard here!

Secondly, check into this for your decoding needs http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jcpurut/vin/vin.html And make sure your speedometer reads 23K and not 123K

--Mike

Old 11-01-2004, 10:18 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 871 Posts
NPD Support,radiator 61-66 F100-F350 Repro F-16138-16A $299.95 Barry Head also was advertising in the classifieds here about 66 parts and has (had) a "reworked" one. Good luck, George

Old 11-01-2004, 09:14 PM
cdherman
Posting Guru
GLR -- It is indeed fine news for the 61-64 folks. But that would not be the core support for a 66 F100 (though the listing by NPD would make you think that). If indeed it exists, the core support for F100 from 61-64 is the same, as well as the 4x4 trucks in 65 and 66. But 2wd F100/F250 in 65 and 66 that have twin Ibeam suspension take much different core supports. My understanding is that the 61-64 core support can be modified to work on a 65 and 66 -- but requires cutting and welding skills. Might be better than nothing at all.

I just wonder if that is really true that NPD has them. I have followed the core support saga for the past 2 years or so and have never before heard of any repro. It would be really good news for all us if this part is available. Now we just need whole front fenders.........

Old 11-03-2004, 02:41 PM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
bertha66

One thing that I found out not to long ago when I put a new radiator into my 66 f-100 4x4, that the mounting for the radiator is differant. I got the radiator from LMC and the mountings were backward to my old one. LMC said when I called them that the radiator was for a 2wd not a 4x4. But problem with taht was the body on my thuck is a 65 2wd with automatic trans. The radiator mounting on the original 4x4 and the 2wd are the same, but the core support in my Sons 66 2wd with a auto has the mounting that LMC says is correct for the 2wd trucks. The core support for the 65-66's mount the inter fenders differantly than the older ones and the 4x4 mounts around the frame mounting is differant from the 2wd.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:34 PM
EDS66
New User
mirrors

Lmc Has Oem Mirrors For Your 66 Brad4321