Switching to a hydraulic roller cam or a solid lifter cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 08:10 AM
76 F150 Ranger XLT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switching to a hydraulic roller cam or a solid lifter cam

Just curious. I have a standard mid 70s 390 block. If I wanted to use a hydrualic roller cam, what parts do I need to buy (roller lifters, roller rockers, ...), for how much (approximately), and what changes need to be made to the block (none, I am guessing)?

If I wanted to change the block to run a solid lifter cam, what parts do I need to buy, for how much, and what changes need to be made to the block (blocking some oil passageways)?

Of course for both of these questions you need to assume the engine has adequate compression to run the cams and the valve springs are matched to the cams.

Old 10-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

You would need lifters and cam, as well as the appropriate valvesprings for the cam as recommended by the manufacturer. Unless it's Crane, then you need stiffer springs.

You do not need to block the oil passages to use solids. Many, including myself do not.

-Scouder

Old 10-26-2004, 05:40 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're using the full body solid lifter, not the barbell type, right scouder? What kind of oil pressure do you have?

Old 10-26-2004, 05:57 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Scoots right as for the Hyd. roller by Crane... there springs seem to be over rated..
and a solid tappet or a roller Cam is not worth it in my opinion..Unless your trying to get the Most HP out of your project!!

And you want to go Ported heads, Possibly Aluminum?? depending on CR and Pump gas!! there is a whole lot of Variable's depending on what you want..

Now Scoots running a Roller with a .692" lift in his truck...but right now he's running a 4 spud....CI wise were about the same..but I dropped down to a .671" lift and a slightly lower duration..because I'm running a C6....

And as much as I hate too say it?? his 4X4 ways less than my 70 F250!

This motor has been in the planning stage's for 14 mos.. I built a 433 cobra and sold it..cause I wanted more CI.... but you have to decide street, street/strip, street on the edge, and strip!!

I think Scoot and I are on the very edge of Street/strip... And Scoot if you read this...how much for a set of custom headers for my PIG??? I can Buy Custom flange's 1/2" thick lazer cut for $80.... I'am just now making Final payments on my heads..which are'nt much...but I dont have much choice???

Shoot!! Sorry guys I just looked at this thread..Hell I could have written a book!!

Last edited by RapidRuss; 10-26-2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by rusty70f100
You're using the full body solid lifter, not the barbell type, right scouder? What kind of oil pressure do you have?
They are comp solid rollers. They do have a pronounced oil band (barbell). I have 40+ at idle and around 85 up high. I honestly can't remember exactly, but it was something like that.

-Scouder

Old 10-26-2004, 07:33 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Russ,

I would love to build a set of headers for your monster, but I would need your truck with the engine and drivetrain installed. That might be a problem, since they keep VA way over there, and I'm way over here!

And I would still bend some nitrous tubes for you if you change your mind and decide to put it on your truck. You would have to cover the machining cost (milling the holes), and a few bucks for my time.

-Scouder

Old 10-26-2004, 08:12 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Originally Posted by Scouder
Russ,

I would love to build a set of headers for your monster, but I would need your truck with the engine and drivetrain installed. That might be a problem, since they keep VA way over there, and I'm way over here!

And I would still bend some nitrous tubes for you if you change your mind and decide to put it on your truck. You would have to cover the machining cost (milling the holes), and a few bucks for my time.

-Scouder
Well Scoot.....It by far wont be a Monster motor...Just enough for the street I think.. and as far as the NOS...Im still thinking about that..and of course your time and machining would be no problem...

i did the bills Sunday on the plan too head to gregs next summer...I can have the 521 short block done by then and even the SCJB Kaase heads on.. but then it all the fab work to be done,,I need to buy a (another set back) a
Miller Mig welder...and I havent found a good price on one yet...and it been 25 years since I ran one?? But I'm not tea tolally stupid??? LOL!

Oh and PS...when you decide to go real big inche's...look at the Eliminator head...500+ on intake...Great Machining!!!! Russ

Old 10-26-2004, 09:44 PM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RapidRuss
Well Scoot.....It by far wont be a Monster motor...Just enough for the street I think.. and as far as the NOS...Im still thinking about that..and of course your time and machining would be no problem...

i did the bills Sunday on the plan too head to gregs next summer...I can have the 521 short block done by then and even the SCJB Kaase heads on.. but then it all the fab work to be done,,I need to buy a (another set back) a
Miller Mig welder...and I havent found a good price on one yet...and it been 25 years since I ran one?? But I'm not tea tolally stupid??? LOL!

Oh and PS...when you decide to go real big inche's...look at the Eliminator head...500+ on intake...Great Machining!!!! Russ

Do I know this Greg character? If I'm having a party, please keep reminding me.

What time-frame is sounding good? I know we discussed this, but I already forgot....

Old 10-26-2004, 10:13 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Is this what is called 'Hijacking' a thread?

I would love to come out to TX and visit you guys. If Gtex is onboard with it, then later in the summer would be great for me. That would give me time to complete some of the remaining projects on the truck.

-Scouder

Old 10-26-2004, 10:18 PM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
To come back and help with the topic. 76F150, let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help with. I'm running The Crane Hyd. Roller. check out my gallery or the web page below for details about what parts I'm running.

http://www.thedreyerfamily.com/69f250/67f250/fe446.htm

Old 10-27-2004, 06:44 AM
76 F150 Ranger XLT
Senior User
Even though this got "hijacked" (LOL), I still got most of what I wanted to know. My engine build is not going to be nearly as hot as Brian, Russ, or Greg. I will be at 9.8:1 compression with a set of professionally ported iron heads. I started this build figuring I would use the Crane 941, but I can't stop looking at other cam options (single patterns, rollers, solids, etc.). Solid tappet and roller cams are just two other distractions as I pull the design together. My guess is that I will end up with the Crane 941, but I am having fun considering these other options.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 10-27-2004, 07:06 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Originally Posted by 76 F150 Ranger XLT
Even though this got "hijacked" (LOL), I still got most of what I wanted to know. My engine build is not going to be nearly as hot as Brian, Russ, or Greg. I will be at 9.8:1 compression with a set of professionally ported iron heads. I started this build figuring I would use the Crane 941, but I can't stop looking at other cam options (single patterns, rollers, solids, etc.). Solid tappet and roller cams are just two other distractions as I pull the design together. My guess is that I will end up with the Crane 941, but I am having fun considering these other options.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob, sorry about the Hijack!!! I just get carried away sometimes (its in my nature) I cant do just a little bit of anything...LOL!! its all or none....

But streetability is the name of the game...for a daily driver...Now Greg has a real good build for all around Truck...towing, speed, and just cruising..

And Brians build is Flat **** scary...being able too do 40mph rolling burnouts!!

But a 400hp 425hp 390 would be a great street machine as long as you dont loose site of torque in your cam selection?

the thing is with Hyd..roller cams..you can use a higher lift for more torque and HP and still retain good street manners...but there not cheap to set-up!

Good Luck, Russ

Old 10-27-2004, 07:34 AM
76 F150 Ranger XLT
Senior User
No sweat on the hijack, I actually thought it was pretty funny how quickly the thread went from talking about roller cams to custom headers and then nitrous. I love learning about all of this stuff and if I had the money and the time I would have about a dozen different FE builds in progess (one blower setup, one turbo setup, one fuel injected, one 352 rpm screamer, one 500+ CID stroker, etc.). My biggest problem is that I am slow to pull the trigger on decisions. I feel the nee3d to know everything before I make a choice. I have been thinking about and planning this build for about 18 months and so far all I have done is buy the intake and the heads (although I did already install the complete exhaust system with headers). I will get it done sometime, but I am in no real hurry since the truck is my hobby, not my primary transportation (and other than a bunch of oil leaks, it runs fine right now).

Old 10-27-2004, 07:54 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Well Bob, researsch is the name of the game...It took me a year of research when I built a 433" Cobra motor.. I had it 80% done and a guy came by my friends shop and made me an offer of 1500 bucks more than I had into it...So it went...

And of late I've been doing (well the last 6 mos.) research on a big inch motor..and I'am just now starting to order the parts and get the proper people together for the port work and port matching... But I'am taking my time too..

I have a good running 390 in the Truck now..and its just my weekend cruiser..So I have all the time in the world to do it right the first time..cause I cant afford to build another one the second time!! LOL!!

Russ

Old 10-27-2004, 09:39 AM
76 F150 Ranger XLT
Senior User
You sold the 433 for only $1500 over your costs? Be careful, you might not want to let Kieth Craft find out he has low priced competition (LOL).

Quick Reply: Switching to a hydraulic roller cam or a solid lifter cam