Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Long crank times

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 04:41 PM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Long crank times

Any of you guys been able to shorten the legnth of time the starter turns over befor the engine fires up? Mine cranks for about two seconds befor it fires. I am toying with the idea of going to an air starter only having the starter run that long will require a lot of air.
Any ideas will be appreciated.

Old 10-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Bristrew
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only owned my PSD for 5 months but notice the same... 2 secs before starting other than my ex-gaser which started emediately. If starts, main point I guess.

Old 10-26-2004, 04:19 PM
TheHammer69
Junior User
Originally Posted by fixnair
Any of you guys been able to shorten the legnth of time the starter turns over befor the engine fires up? Mine cranks for about two seconds befor it fires. I am toying with the idea of going to an air starter only having the starter run that long will require a lot of air.
Any ideas will be appreciated.
There is a reason why PSDs don't start immediately, The oil pressure in the High pressure oil lines needs to build to fire the injectors.

Hammer

Old 10-26-2004, 07:14 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 820 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by TheHammer69
There is a reason why PSDs don't start immediately, The oil pressure in the High pressure oil lines needs to build to fire the injectors.

Hammer
Exactly. There is NOTHING you can do to shorten the starting time.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:50 PM
77hiboyboy
Posting Guru
I asked this before I bought it. It also doubles as a safety device as well right?? no oil-pressure motor shuts off??

Old 10-26-2004, 11:01 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 820 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by 77hiboyboy
I asked this before I bought it. It also doubles as a safety device as well right?? no oil-pressure motor shuts off??
Well now that would be handy in saving the motor. It's news to me if that is the case. I don't know either way whether it's true or not, though.

Old 10-27-2004, 12:24 AM
TheHammer69
Junior User
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Well now that would be handy in saving the motor. It's news to me if that is the case. I don't know either way whether it's true or not, though.
It's actually true in a sense, if you are motoring down the road and let's say you rupture a HPOP o-ring and don't realize it. I can't exactly remember, but I think after somewhere over a gallon of oil is lost (can't remember exact amount), the HPOP reservoir runs dry and the lack of HPOP oil shuts truck down. This shutdown prevents too much oil being lost which would have caused loss of the main oil system and the possible catastrophic results of that happeneing.

Hammer